Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Disney Investigates Alleged Labor Abuses in the Community Center forums; Disney Investigates Alleged Labor Abuses By MIN LEE | Associated Press Writer Posted August 19, 2005, 5:00 AM EDT HONG KONG -- The Walt Disney Co. said Friday it has ...
    Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

Disney Investigates Alleged Labor Abuses

Disney Investigates Alleged Labor Abuses

By MIN LEE | Associated Press Writer
    Posted August 19, 2005, 5:00 AM EDT

HONG KONG -- The Walt Disney Co. said Friday it has hired an auditor to investigate claims that its Chinese contractors pay workers below minimum wage, demand excessive overtime and cheat labor monitors by faking pay slips.

Disney said it has asked the nonprofit firm Verite to probe allegations by the Hong Kong-based Students and Scholars Against Corporate Misbehavior, a new group aimed at protecting Chinese workers' rights, in its report titled "Recovering Mickey's Conscience."

The operator of one of the factories named in the report, Hong Kong-based Nord Race Paper International Ltd., denied some of the accusations, saying it fully complies with Chinese labor laws.

The allegations come less than a month before the Sept. 12 opening of Hong Kong Disneyland, which Disney hopes will draw throngs of tourists from neighboring mainland China.

"Disney and its licensees will work closely with Verite to ensure a thorough investigation of these claims and take the appropriate actions to remediate violations found," a Disney statement said.

It said that it had previously found and addressed international labor standard violations at some factories identified in the Hong Kong group's report, and that those offenses were not as serious as the latest claims.

The report, released Thursday, said the Nord Race factory in the southern city of Dongguan, which makes Disney stationery, paid workers 2.69 Chinese yuan (33 cents) an hour until June, when it promised to raise the rate to Dongguan's minimum of 3.43 yuan (42 cents).

But the factory put off paying workers their June salaries until the end of August, said the report, which claims to be based on worker interviews.

It said Nord Race workers allegedly put in 383 hours in March, exceeding the 204-hour legal limit.

The factory also failed to triple hourly pay on holidays as required, the report said.

At the Hung Hing printing factory in Shenzhen, run by a Hong Kong company of the same name, workers put in 12-hour days but were only paid for 10, the report said.

It also said that industrial accidents are common at the Hung Hing factory. A machine reportedly compressed a worker to death in 2002, and a falling piece of equipment crushed the waist of another worker in a nonfatal mishap in 2005.

The report also claimed that factories coached workers on how to answer auditors' questions.

The Nord Race factory allegedly issued fake time slips while concealing the real ones showing illegal hours, the report said.

Nord Race said in a statement it abides by Chinese labor laws, paying workers the required minimum hourly wage of 3.43 yuan (42 cents) and capping work hours at 204 a month.

In a response to the allegation that it coaches workers before audits, Nord Race said its workers are poorly educated and the company explains their rights, such as maternity leave, to them. It didn't address the other concerns.

A woman who answered the phone at Hung Hing Printing Group Ltd. in Hong Kong said the company's head was out of town and no one else could comment. She declined to give her name.

The Associated Press also faxed the report to the labor department in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong, where the factories are located. It didn't immediately respond.

The Hong Kong activist group wants Disney to use nonprofit auditors, make public a list of its contractors and their addresses, and announce its findings on labor abuses and industrial accidents.
    Last edited by Kellie19891992; 08-19-2005 at 11:02 AM. Reason: fixed spacing

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Thanks for the info, hope this helps make changes for the better....maybe wishful thinking, I know...
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I hope things become better

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Wow, 42 cents an hour!!! No wonder our gasoline prices are so high, or at least that's what I hear on the news about China using so much oil. We need to send William Hung over there to straighten things out.

Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-19-2005 at 12:24 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Wow! International organisations paying indigenous workforces below-average wages. Who'd a thunk it?

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney