Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Update finally posted! in the Community Center forums; Hi gang! We just had our last all staff meeting before our first day of school tomorrow. I think I'm ready for all this. Did I forget anything? Let's just ...
    PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...

Smile Update finally posted!

Hi gang!

We just had our last all staff meeting before our first day of school tomorrow. I think I'm ready for all this. Did I forget anything? Let's just say I didn't and that I'm super prepared for these crazy kids! Or maybe I'm the crazy one!

OK, back to the update... As you all know I just recently received a teaching position at Marie G. Davis Middle School here in Charlotte, NC as the new Art Teacher. The first two weeks after I was hired were spent in Lateral-Entry "Boot Camp" for all new teachers in our school system (CMS). While in "Boot Camp" we were taught how to manage a classroom, write lesson plans, differentiate our lessons for the different learning styles, and so much more. It was a bit overwhelming seeing as to how much they packed into our eight days of workshops/classes, but in all I learned A LOT. (And I also made some new friends, one of which is from Orlando, FL! ) It also prepared me for being a teacher since I have never taught before (besides in little after-school programs at my church). Needless to say, I am very grateful for CMS for establishing this program.

So once "Boot Camp" (appropriate title huh? ) was over I finally went back to my school last Monday, where I had not been since my interview weeks ago. The morning was of course filled by new teacher meetings and getting-to-know-you activities, and after lunch (which the school paid for) we were able to go to our rooms to clean them up. I had sen my room the day I was interviewed, but I had not really studied it. I had A LOT to clean up and get organized! I didn't do much that day other than throw away pure junk that was all around the room. The next day was Curriculum Day at a local high school where all new teachers to CMS met with their subject area and learned what we should be teaching this school year. Nothing exciting.

Wednesday and Thursday were spent at my school, but once again the majority of the day was spent in meetings and group sessions. We were allowed to work in our rooms again during the afternoons, but a few hours here and there just doesn't cut it. I know the information we went over in our meetings was important, and I'm not blaming our administration team at all. I just wish I could have been in my room doing more, especially being the new Art Teacher because art rooms have TONS of "stuff" in them. And when I say "stuff," some of it is just plain trash (to put it nicely). Enough about all that though... Friday was another workshop day away from my school. This time it was for all Visual Arts teachers in CMS, both old and new. That was kind of fun and I met a lot of people, and even saw some old teachers I had in the past. To learn I was a teacher now was a shock to them. "That must mean I'm getting old," was the response I heard from most of them.

Now we're on to this week. I came back to MGD Monday and spent the whole day in my room getting organized and throwing out even more trash. Luckily one of my best friends (of 12 years) came to help part of the day and he and I were able to get a big chunk of the work load done. I stayed late after he left and got my room half-way how I wanted it. Then yesterday was Open House day so I scrambled around all day getting bulletin boards put up, cabinets and the storage room organized, and the room all straightened up so students and parents could come in. To hear more about Open House, read my post under "Busy Bobby."

Well, I think that's about it for now. I think I've written enough to either inform you or bore you depending on how you look at it. If I get a chance, and I do mean if, I'll tell you all how my first day went. With that said, wish me luck and I will talk to you all soon! Thanks for listening!

~PumpkinJack81 AKA Mr. Art Teacher <--- I need an art smiley
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    I hope you mastered how to shine your boots!
    How did you handle yourself on the range?
    What were the drill instructors like at your boot camp?

But seriously, some interesting reading there, and good luck!
    Last edited by 20K; 08-24-2005 at 03:01 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Good job! The first week of school for me is just like that. Lots of meetings that give some information or bore you to tears. There isn't enough time to clean the room and get ready but somehow it all comes together. That has happened for the last 13 years so this may be a pattern (?). I hope your first day is wonderful. We are into our second week and into the school mode. I haven't started counting down for Christmas(lol) yet so I think it will be a good year!

Sounds great Bobby! I bet you are so excited for tomorrow! Hey...you should post some pictures of your classroom! Would love to see them! Sounds like you've been working really hard to get prepared!!!!! I'm sure that all your hard work will pay off!

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Wow sounds like you put lots of prep work in to this , which will pay off. good luck on your first day!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...

Exhausted

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I would love to tell you all about my day, but I am absolutely EXHAUSTED right now. = More this weekend... Thanks for thinking about me, and please keep me in your for tomorrow. Thank you!
    ~Bobby Jack

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Good stuff buddy!

some pics of the class room (and that new apt) would be awesome! And you know what else I find is awesome?... shading! I remember the amazement I felt when I somewhat learned how.

Congrats dude and sounds like a blast.. summers off?

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I love in your signature how you say you are now Mr. Bobby. When I taught Junior Achievement this past year, they all called me Ms. Thompson. One kid called me Mrs. and I had to tell him that was not me....that is my mom.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Thanx for the update.

Sounds like NC does things a little differently than Indiana. In Indiana students in the Teacher Colleges are now in the classroom from the get go their freshman year, and are strictly evaluated before being allowed to student teach their senior year. Also, in order to be licensed you must pass all kinds of expensive standardized tests, including writing and your teaching major, and have a criminal background check done. However, all that does not really prepare you for the day when it's just you and 30 students 5-6 periods a day.

Good Luck with your school year!!!
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 08-25-2005 at 05:13 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    For our in-service (which, yes, I had to attend for 1/2 day) this year, we had an EXCELLENT speaker from the Cincinatti area whose first name was Dauna. I don't remember her last name, and I certainly wish I did, because she was so inspiring! If any of you have ever been to a teaching conference and remember a very inspiring speaker named Dauna, I would love for you to PM me her last name! She was really so incredible. I wish you could have been there Mr. Bobby! If I had it on tape I would mail it to you. She really made me want to get back in a classroom (just for a minute, until I regained my sanity).

Best of luck to you in your new career! But really, be careful what you toss out! One's man's trash is another man's treasure! You never know when one day you will think, "You know, I remember throwing out just the piece I need to finish this project!"
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa
    Good stuff buddy!

some pics of the class room (and that new apt) would be awesome! And you know what else I find is awesome?... shading! I remember the amazement I felt when I somewhat learned how.

Congrats dude and sounds like a blast.. summers off?
    Thanks for the reply Tampa. I'll be posting some pics of the apartment and the class as soon as I get the film developed and my scanner hooked back up. I definitely want you all to see my before and after pics of my class. And have some fun with shading this weekend! I'll be getting my kids to do that later on. We're focusing on drawing the first few weeks in all my classes. Maybe I can get the kids work online someday too.

Summers off is correct, and you better believe I'm looking forward to that!
    Last edited by PumpkinJack81; 08-26-2005 at 09:47 AM.
    ~Bobby Jack

Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    I love in your signature how you say you are now Mr. Bobby. When I taught Junior Achievement this past year, they all called me Ms. Thompson. One kid called me Mrs. and I had to tell him that was not me....that is my mom.
    Yeah, I would prefer the kids to call me that than my last name (Ay****) because, well you can guess all the ways kids can pick apart that last name. All the teachers are called by their last names, however, and my last name is on everyone's schedule so I didn't want to throw them off. I'll just deal with the comments.
    ~Bobby Jack

It's 9:41 AM on a Friday....shouldn't you be molding the mind of a young child right now????

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket
    Thanx for the update.

Sounds like NC does things a little differently than Indiana. In Indiana students in the Teacher Colleges are now in the classroom from the get go their freshman year, and are strictly evaluated before being allowed to student teach their senior year. Also, in order to be licensed you must pass all kinds of expensive standardized tests, including writing and your teaching major, and have a criminal background check done. However, all that does not really prepare you for the day when it's just you and 30 students 5-6 periods a day.

Good Luck with your school year!!!
    And thank you for the reply Jiminy.

I'm not sure how they do it if I were to have gone to college for teaching. I know teaching majors had so many student teaching hours, but things are different for the lateral-entry program. For lateral-entry you can teach in a subject you have your BA in (Studio Art for me) and must take so many credit hours a year (6 or so I think). All I know is that I have three years to get my teaching license and then I'm set for a little while. I have to update it ever so often, but that'll come later.

Thanks for the luck too, I need it!
    ~Bobby Jack

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    It's 9:41 AM on a Friday....shouldn't you be molding the mind of a young child right now????
    Aaaahhh! You caught me! No, I should be using my planning period wisely. Ha ha ha!
    ~Bobby Jack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast