Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Tropical Storm Katrina in the Community Center forums; Ok. Not good . The eye of the stupid hurricane passed right by my house. Mom has been without power since about 6pm this evening. Water is entering the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...
    gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Ok. Not good .

The eye of the stupid hurricane passed right by my house. Mom has been without power since about 6pm this evening. Water is entering the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And my mother is by herself!!
    Last edited by gator717; 08-25-2005 at 10:44 PM.
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

buzznut31 is offline Annual Passholder
    Just another update........... it looks like I might be OK the rest of the way with this storm!! I was watching a local weather segment about an hour ago an it looks like Katrina took a last minute jog southward!!! What that means is that the worst of the winds were going to be in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, instead of Southern Palm Beach county. In fact right now, all I'm experiencing is some light, gusty winds and rainfall and that's it. In fact, the eye is now centered in central Miami-Dade county at the moment. Hopefully, things will continue to improve overnight and into the morning as well!!!

I think that your well wishes may have had some effect on the turn of events! Again thanks for everything, and hopefully things will get better from here!!!
    Favorite Buzz Quotes: To Infinity and Beyond!!!!!
    Tell me I wasn't that deluded!!!

He's the Cutest, Handsomest character EVER!!!! :heart:

Quote Originally Posted by buzznut31
    Just another update........... it looks like I might be OK the rest of the way with this storm!! I was watching a local weather segment about an hour ago an it looks like Katrina took a last minute jog southward!!! What that means is that the worst of the winds were going to be in Miami-Dade and Broward counties, instead of Southern Palm Beach county. In fact right now, all I'm experiencing is some light, gusty winds and rainfall and that's it. In fact, the eye is now centered in central Miami-Dade county at the moment. Hopefully, things will continue to improve overnight and into the morning as well!!!

I think that your well wishes may have had some effect on the turn of events! Again thanks for everything, and hopefully things will get better from here!!!
    Yeah no kidding. Took a last minute jog southward and slammed my house. Glad things are looking well for you!!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Guys please keep safe we are all praying for you. Keep us posted the best you can.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Hope all is OK for our Florida residents!!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Hope you all made it through the night okay. Let us know as soon as you can how you all are!
    They call me "Nana"

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by crashbunny
    they wouldnt make you come to work during this would they?
    During Charlie I was on constant duty for 48 hours and sleeping at the Grosvenor (Downtown Disney) in shifts in a room shared with 3 other co-workers while my house was being devestated.

All we've got from this one here in Orlando is some rain, not even as much as was predicted, and enough wind to fly a kite.

Hope you guys down south make out OK!
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 08-26-2005 at 12:18 PM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

Quote Originally Posted by crashbunny
    they wouldnt make you come to work during this would they?
    Crashbunny, yes. A lot of people unfortunately have to work during a hurricane/tropical storm. My dad works for a utility company, FPL, and every storm he has to report to work before, during and after the storm. During a storm and for a week or two afterwards, my dad will work over 80 hours a week! Last year was **** for him because he was all over the place taking care of things after four major hurricanes . My dad has stated that he's gonna quit work if hurricane seasons are gonna be this bad from now on!!

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Checking in....we're fine here....Not near as bad as we thought, we may still get some feeder bands as it moves up the West Coast, depends on how close it is to the actual coast.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by gator717
    My dad works for a utility company, FPL, and every storm he has to report to work before, during and after the storm. During a storm and for a week or two afterwards, my dad will work over 80 hours a week!
    Yay, power company workers!
    Last year they were as popular as police and firemen after 9/11 (here in Florida anyway). We put over 100 of them from out of state up for free at the Grosvenor.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

buzznut31 is offline Annual Passholder
    Checking in from Delray Beach. I came out of this storm ok. I'm so happy about it!!!! Just the fact that Katrina made a last minute turn southward helped out a whole lot!! I never even lost power last night. All that I'm experiencing now is some winds and occassional light rain from the leftover feeder bands. I'm so glad that things didn't turn out so bad.

Thanks again for all of the good wishes everyone!!! I think they really helped!!!!!
    Favorite Buzz Quotes: To Infinity and Beyond!!!!!
    Tell me I wasn't that deluded!!!

He's the Cutest, Handsomest character EVER!!!! :heart:

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Sorry to here about those who got hit with that sudden jog, but it did give me a nice day out of school. Time to catch up here and get some other work done. I am still praying for all that are in the way now that it is building strenght agian.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    well, the eye of this storm is projected right on me. right now it is only a Cat. 2, but by the time it reaches us it's predicted to be a 3 or 4. like I said earlier, I've evacuated twice this year already, and I'm tired of it, I'm not leaving this time.

I wish I could work during the storm. I work for the railroad and days we don't work b/c of the storm, we don't get paid for. did I mention that I hate hurricanes?

If we can dream it, we can do it

Hey 7th Ave! Sorry for all the trouble .

I just got in touch with my mom and poor house. This is basically a list of the damage:
    1. For the water, the guest bathroom and the hallway had the most amount of water come in. The rugs, bathroom fixings and the wooden borders around the floor are ruined.
    2. The roof lost a substantial amount of tiles and we were fortuante winds were not higher cause if not 1)more tiles would have been loss 2) roof tiles would have become serious flying projectiles.
    3. The front iron gate completely collapsed under the strong winds.
    4. There are some windows and the bordering walls with water damage.
    5. The tiki hut has a major part of its roof missing.
    There are several other things but I can't remember them right now. It's been a long two days!!!! My family is fortunate that the majority of the house is insured (the gate and tiki hut were in the process of being insured).

Thanks all for the well wishes

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gator717
    Crashbunny, yes. A lot of people unfortunately have to work during a hurricane/tropical storm. My dad works for a utility company, FPL, and every storm he has to report to work before, during and after the storm. During a storm and for a week or two afterwards, my dad will work over 80 hours a week! Last year was **** for him because he was all over the place taking care of things after four major hurricanes . My dad has stated that he's gonna quit work if hurricane seasons are gonna be this bad from now on!!
    I understand about the people like your Dad - i guess i was referring to people like me - sorry
    he probably was on of the ones I gave big kiss to back in 1991 when we finally got our power back on after being out for over two weeks after a really horrific ice storm
    we had people helping us out from up and down the east coast
    i was kinda neat seeing all the different trucks from all the different states
    i think most of us have seen the after effects of losing power
    and we appreciate all the people like your Dad

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast