Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss It is making me sick... in the Community Center forums; GD, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you 100%. Some parents are excellent parents and they still end up with crappy kids. Some parents are crappy parents and end ...
    iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    GD, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you 100%. Some parents are excellent parents and they still end up with crappy kids. Some parents are crappy parents and end up with great kids. I would say I agree with you 95%. It is the parent's job to teach their children right from wrong and to show them the right way to behave, but at some point personal responsibility comes into play. I agree that the majority of the time the way a child is brought up is going to have a huge impact on the adult he becomes, but not always. That being said, it in no way excuses us from our responsibilities to raise our children to respect others, the law, and themselves.
    They call me "Nana"

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    GD, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you 100%. Some parents are excellent parents and they still end up with crappy kids. Some parents are crappy parents and end up with great kids. I would say I agree with you 95%. It is the parent's job to teach their children right from wrong and to show them the right way to behave, but at some point personal responsibility comes into play. I agree that the majority of the time the way a child is brought up is going to have a huge impact on the adult he becomes, but not always. That being said, it in no way excuses us from our responsibilities to raise our children to respect others, the law, and themselves.
    With age, comes wisdom...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    GD, I'm sorry, but I don't agree with you 100%. ....... Some parents are crappy parents and end up with great kids.
    unfortunately, i can agree with you on that one.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I agree that this is just a horrible situation. I honestly don't know what I would do in that situationa nd I pray to God that I don't have to find out. I can understand the survival instinct that comes but I don't understand people stealing just because they can. There was one report that people were out in the street trying on clothes. That is just wrong and using the survival excuse in that situation is wrong. I hope everyone can get out of the Superdome safely also.

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by rvastro
    Where is the LA. National Guard?
    Probably defending our borders in Iraq. Don't get me started.

This situation is a disaster that is unprecedented in modern United States history. It far outstrips our hurricanes of last year and the impact will be felt across the entire nation for a long time to come. I mean we are talking about the destruction of New Orleans! I believe that martial law should be declared and detention areas should be set up for looters and black marketers and that they should be charged and tried immediately for their crimes. The military and National Gaurd need to have a BIG precence in New Orleans.
    Among our military guests here at Shades of Green, I'd say that this is the prevailing opinion.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I agree with most I hope and pray I never have to go through what these poor people been through but I will say I would never be doing what their doing. I would be to concern on getting my children to safety instead of what I can get for free. It a sad situation all around. I guess placed in in certain suituations you never know what your mind will snap and do. But it still no excuse for what these people are doing it. I've been very blessed in my life that I have neve ever experince any type of poverty or hunger or a thing like this and I can't stress enough I hope and pray that this never happens to me or my family or anyone I know.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I think all of us need to reflect for a moment about the things we take for granted every minute of every day. I have had a truly blessed life, and what I may have once considered my darkest hours were merely a cloud passing in front of the sun compared to what the majority of the people on this planet have had to see and/or experience.

I would be inclined to post a prayer of Thanksgiving at this point, but out of respect for those of you who may not share my faith, I will refrain (from typing it, not from saying it). Anybody who would like to join me, welcome.
    They call me "Nana"

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreen

This situation is a disaster that is unprecedented in modern United States history. It far outstrips our hurricanes of last year and the impact will be felt across the entire nation for a long time to come. I mean we are talking about the destruction of New Orleans! I believe that martial law should be declared and detention areas should be set up for looters and black marketers and that they should be charged and tried immediately for their crimes. The military and National Gaurd need to have a BIG precence in New Orleans.
    Among our military guests here at Shades of Green, I'd say that this is the prevailing opinion.
    My DH and I were discussing this and wondering what other countries' media were saying about this destruction. We heard so much about the tsunami but what are others being shown about our hour of need? Will they show other countries offering a hand to help us? Just a thought-maybe those who are out of the US can help with this info.

I hope that all of the looting gets under control soon before more people get hurt. I agree that martial law should be declared also. This area needs some major help in a hurry.

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Probably defending our borders in Iraq. Don't get me started.

As of yesterday, the news stated that martial law has been declared. That the power of New Orleans has been handed to the military.
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

Here is my take on the looting:

I was watching the news yesterday (Fox News) and two reports stated something very true. One thing is looting food the other is looting shoe and jewlery stores. They showed this mother looting baby food and diapers and she was crying and saying her baby is very hungry. Fine. Looting is not right but in that case I can forgive. It must be horrible for a mother watch their child suffer and not be able to do anything about it. The reporters even stated that fact...food looting out of desperation fine but why shoes?!?!?! Are the nikes going to help you float? Are the reeboks going to turn to a 5 course meal? No!!!!!

Looters are just making things 10 times worse because they were using up police resources and are creating havoc in an already chaotic situation!

And another thing being A SURVIVOR OF HURRICANE ANDREW....

While I still luckly had a house we had no power for almost 4 weeks. My mother, brother and I had to drive around town (praying to God we won't run out of gas) looking for food and water to drink. Sometimes we were fortunate to find food other times we were fortunate we had my dad. Luckly, my father (who works for a utility company) was working around town fixing powerlines and such and those such workers were given meals. He was able to bring home some meals but it was really not enough. I went to bed hungry, sweaty and stinky for almost a month. It was horrible situation and I feel so sorry for those in NO cause they have it worse than a lot of people in Miami did with Andrew.

Thanks for listening!
    Last edited by gator717; 08-31-2005 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs
    My DH and I were discussing this and wondering what other countries' media were saying about this destruction. We heard so much about the tsunami but what are others being shown about our hour of need? Will they show other countries offering a hand to help us? Just a thought-maybe those who are out of the US can help with this info.

I hope that all of the looting gets under control soon before more people get hurt. I agree that martial law should be declared also. This area needs some major help in a hurry.

I think there is a big difference between the countries that were devasted by the tsunami and the hurricane Katrina disaster. We are very fortunate to live in a country that has so many resources. The US has FEMA, the Red Cross and numerous other organizations. Also, the American people are always there to lend a helping hand by donating items. Unfortunately, in third world countries they dont have those resources for numerous reasons and their only chances of survival are the aid they receive from other countries.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Firstly, before I move into rant move, my condolences to all of those who have lost their lives. And as an added precaution, if you live a simple 'no world exists after our borders' life style, please skip my post. Just exercising freedom of speech and stating my opinion on current events. Not something I do often.

Could you Americans* please stop drawing parallels between the Asian tsunami and yourselves? It is truly pathetic. Yes it is a tragedy that people have died, and yes it is sad that lives have been devistated, but you are one of the richest countries on earth. It is not the end of the world.

This is NOTHING like what happened at the beginning of 2005 what so ever...

In answer to your earlier question by the way, the British media have been covering the on-going events in detail. Our media, unlike others, actually and rightfully tells us what's going on in the real world with a fair, non-biased and open-minded opinion. Fellow Brits - I know you're on the board. You can vouch for my last point.

* I appreciate that the vast majority of you, if not all of you on this board are intelligent people who are tuned-into what the world is like today, and don't just follow everything that CNN feeds you. I don't mean to offend or insult any of you DWT'ers. In fact I haven't heard any of you draw the parallels, but reporters on TV certainly are.

Now let's take the classic Disney approach and all be friends
    Last edited by 20K; 08-31-2005 at 03:46 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

I believe that martial law should be declared and detention areas should be set up for looters and black marketers and that they should be charged and tried immediately for their crimes.
    OK man, way too far. Kangaroo courts? Have you not realised what our two countries have been doing for the better part of two years? How on earth can you justify liberating a country for ending an oppresive, draconian regime if you then turn around and do the same to your citizens in the middle of an emergency.

What would come next? Shooting them publicly as an example and deterrent?
    Last edited by 20K; 08-31-2005 at 04:05 PM.

- Walt Disney

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    What would come next? Shooting them publicly as an example and deterrent?
    Not even close, just to have detention centers until the state legal systems are back in full swing. To keep those that choose to take advantage of the situation out of the way of emergency procedures and to protect lives and property. If someone uses force against a member of law enforcement or the military then yes, force should be used in return.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

I have no issue with force being used in such a hostile situation, or incarcerating them temporarily but why on earth bring in hurried trials?

- Walt Disney

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast