Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss It is making me sick... in the Community Center forums; I just have to vent for a moment ... I was just watching some news coverage and they said that a looter shot and killed a policeman while trying to ...
    zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!

It is making me sick...

I just have to vent for a moment ... I was just watching some news coverage and they said that a looter shot and killed a policeman while trying to stop the looting. It really ticks me off that these people think it's O.K. to get away with doing stuff like this, while other people, who are just as bad off as they are, are going the "straight" route and getting help in other ways. They aren't worse off that anyone else...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i think the biggest issue people have is thinking that we are higher up the evolutionary scale then from what we actually are.

this is proof that we aren't as far away from primates as are pride and egos lead us to believe.

"me no have, me want, man stop me, me want, me get...."

I guess that I don't understand how people could do that... I understand why, but not how.
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    as stupid as this sounds, watch the movie "Trading Spaces", and don't look at it as much as a comedy, but a sociological experiment.

if you had everything taken away from you, how far would you go? what would you do to eat? what would you do to find warmth and shelter? how far would you go to provide these things for your family?

unfortunately, none of us can honestly say until we are put into that situation.

i'm not trying to justify what happened, violence is never the answer, and believe me i wish the police officer would have drawn down on him first. i'm only saying is that i have a slim idea of the guys motivation.

there are a lot of desperate people down there right now, who are searching for answers which are not ready for them yet.

Like I said, I can understand "why" but, why not get to a shelter? Maybe it's a "morals" issue...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Quote Originally Posted by zcook9
    Like I said, I can understand "why" but, why not get to a shelter? Maybe it's a "morals" issue...
    They were interviewing people on the Today Show this morning and it doesn't sound like the shelters are that much better off. A couple was saying that they are afraid that the shelter they are at is going to turn into a riot situation. That they had come in with some bottled water and PB&J sandwiches and people were fighting over them. They also said that people were selling things like the black market....in the hallways trying to get $25 for a pack of cigarettes or $10 for a bottle of water that was already half drank. I certainly wouldn't want to be in any of these people situation right now. I cannot imagine having to tell one of my boys that they can't have a drink of water because there isn't any!

They also talked to a policeman who was outside of a Walgreen's who basically said that they weren't even going to try and stop the looters because at this point it is just basic survival. What a scary situation those people must be in. God bless you all.

I can understand the instinct of survival, but $10 for a 1/2 drunk bottle of water?...DISGUSTING!
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Some people look for an excuse to riot and loot. I could be anything from a hurricane to the local sports team winning the big game. This makes no sense to me at all.

My mother was just saying that there are people looting electronics ...THERE'S NO ELECTRICITY!!!!
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder
    What are they gonna plug them into, the levee? If it was food I could understand, but electronics? You cannot eat a circuit breaker or a capacitor. Where is the LA. National Guard?

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I understand the whole concept of survival. But what about the human instinct to help each other? I just will never understand why people take this sort of route instead of going out there to help. To get the water to the people that need it.....
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

morals, helping each other,..........

look at this way, how many times have you seen people behaving badly at WDW? people can't control themselves at Disney, how do you expect them to act civilized in a disaster area?

It's really hard to try and teach your kids good morals and then too see what is going on down in LA. right now. It's really hard to explain...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Quote Originally Posted by zcook9
    It's really hard to try and teach your kids good morals and then too see what is going on down in LA. right now. It's really hard to explain...
    that's what separates good parents from everyone else. some of it also depends on the person, my wife, in-laws and others have made comments that it's amazing how the environment i was brought up in, and how my siblings turned out, that i've gotten to where i am.

i believe i've said it here before, but in my opinion, a lot of people try to blame their childrens behavior on any factor they can, because God forbid they look at themselves and say 'i could've been a better parent'.

again, in my opinion, today many people treat their children as a side project and focus on their jobs, obtaining wealth, getting the big car, big house, etc. for me, my number 1 job is raising my daughter and doing what is best for her. she doesn't know right from wrong, and it is mine and her mother's job to teach her that. if she fails when she's older, it will not be because of Lilo & Stitch or MTV, it will be because of my failure as a parent.

sorry, ran off on a tangent........

i guess what i've been trying to say all along is that none of this behavior shocks me. i've always known that if something like that were to happen in my neighborhood, you'll find me at my front door with my shotgun in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    that's what separates good parents from everyone else. some of it also depends on the person, my wife, in-laws and others have made comments that it's amazing how the environment i was brought up in, and how my siblings turned out, that i've gotten to where i am.

i believe i've said it here before, but in my opinion, a lot of people try to blame their childrens behavior on any factor they can, because God forbid they look at themselves and say 'i could've been a better parent'.

again, in my opinion, today many people treat their children as a side project and focus on their jobs, obtaining wealth, getting the big car, big house, etc. for me, my number 1 job is raising my daughter and doing what is best for her. she doesn't know right from wrong, and it is mine and her mother's job to teach her that. if she fails when she's older, it will not be because of Lilo & Stitch or MTV, it will be because of my failure as a parent.

sorry, ran off on a tangent........

i guess what i've been trying to say all along is that none of this behavior shocks me. i've always known that if something like that were to happen in my neighborhood, you'll find me at my front door with my shotgun in hand.
    I agree with you 100%. I also have to put the word "character" in there. In situations like what those poor people are going through right now, having lost almost everything, you would think that they would want to hold onto something...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast