Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Maynard G. Krebs has Died in the Community Center forums; Bob Denver, TV's Gilligan, Dead at 70 Bob Denver, whose portrayal of goofy first mate Gilligan on the 1960s television show "Gilligan's Island," made him an iconic figure to generations ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Maynard G. Krebs has Died

Bob Denver, TV's Gilligan, Dead at 70

Bob Denver, whose portrayal of goofy first mate Gilligan on the 1960s television show "Gilligan's Island," made him an iconic figure to generations of TV viewers, has died, his agent confirmed Tuesday. He was 70.

Denver died Friday at Wake Forest University Baptist Hospital in North Carolina of complications from treatment he was receiving for cancer, his agent, Mike Eisenstadt, told The Associated Press. Denver's death was first reported by "Entertainment Tonight."

Denver had also undergone quadruple heart bypass surgery earlier this year.

Denver's wife, Dreama, and his children Patrick, Megan, Emily and Colin were with him when he died.

"He was my everything and I will love him forever," Dreama Denver said in a statement.

Denver's signature role was Gilligan. But he was already known to TV audiences for another iconic character, that of Maynard G. Krebs, the bearded beatnik friend of Dwayne Hickman's Dobie in the "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis," which aired from 1959 to 1963.

"Gilligan's Island" lasted on CBS from 1964 to 1967, and it was revived in later seasons with three high-rated TV movies. It was a Robinson Crusoe story about seven disparate travelers who are marooned on a deserted Pacific Island after their small boat was wrecked in a storm.

The cast: Alan Hale Jr., as Skipper Jonas Grumby; Bob Denver, as his klutzy assistant Gilligan; Jim Backus and Natalie Schafer, as rich snobs Thurston and Lovey Howell; Tina Louise, as bosomy movie star Ginger Grant; Russell Johnson, as egghead science professor Roy Hinkley Jr.; and Dawn Wells, as sweet-natured farm girl Mary Ann Summers.

TV critics hooted at "Gilligan's Island" as gag-ridden corn. Audiences adored its far-out comedy. Writer-creator Sherwood Schwartz insisted that the show had social meaning along with the laughs: "I knew that by assembling seven different people and forcing them to live together, the show would have great philosophical implications."
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 09-06-2005 at 03:56 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

BigDaddyKyle is offline Moderator
    RIP Bob, We'll miss you little buddy.
    See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    omg

bye RIP Gilligan

Jacks Sally is offline B-Ticket Holder
    R.I.P Gilligan
    *I'm just a Ragdoll Waiting for my Pumpkin King*

Yummy !!!!!

Who's the leader of the club
    That's made for you and me?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Goodbye Maynard. What a character!

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    I just read found out. How sad :-(.

R.I.P. Gilligan
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    AWWWW How Sad! He will be missed.

and a side note....Dreama?...wow what a name
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    I heard the sad news on the radio yesterday. You'll be missed little buddy...
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    RIP Gillian

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

I saw this on the Today Show this morning. How sad ...what an icon! Thank goodness for reruns!!! He will "live" on forever!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    RIP My little buddy, Gilligan.
    They call me "Nana"

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I grew up watching this show, and still enjoy the reruns till tis day. You'll be missed, little buddy. And we forgive you for putting the glue on top of the exposed telephone cable that the Professor could have used to call someone to come and resuce them along with all the other mishpas you created that made this such a wonderful show like the radioactive seeds and this long run on sentence.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I grew up watching this show, and still enjoy the reruns till tis day. You'll be missed, little buddy. And we forgive you for putting the glue on top of the exposed telephone cable that the Professor could have used to call someone to come and resuce them along with all the other mishpas you created that made this such a wonderful show like the radioactive seeds and this long run on sentence.
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!