Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss September 11th in the Community Center forums; I thought I would start this thread as my own observance of 9/11 because I will have to work on Sunday. 9/11/01 was not just a day of loss for ...
    shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!

September 11th

I thought I would start this thread as my own observance of 9/11 because I will have to work on Sunday.

9/11/01 was not just a day of loss for America in New York, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania. It was also the day when America returned to war. No matter what your opinion on the conflict in Iraq, whether you think it is a war of politics, liberation, or oil (or all of the above), only the most die-hard anti-war opponents would be able to say that the retaliation against and liberation of Afghanistan was unjustified.
    The Taliban was a regime that actively sponsored, sheltered, and trained those directly resopsible for the terrorist attacks on the United States and elsewhere.
    With all of the attention given to what is going on in Iraq, it is sometimes easy to forget that there are still men and women of the U.S. armed forces, as well as the armed forces of other allied countries still fighting and dying in the dirthole known as Afghanistan. They continue the search for the remnants of the Taliban as well as Osama Bin Laden and Al-Quaida. They are also working to maintain order and bring about a better way of life for the Afghan people.

This September 11th, please remember those who died and those families left behind because of the terrorist attacks, but also please remember those who continue to fight and die overseas in pursuit of those who would attack us in the future.

I work at a military resort and I see men and women on active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan every day. I try to make their time here with their families as great as I can. . . . I squeeze out every possible bit of WDW knowledge I possess that can make their vacations the best they can be. I am just as aware as they are that this may be the last time they will ever be with their loved ones. They will return to their duty overseas where they face the very real possibility that they will not be coming back alive.

If you see someone in the parks this weekend wearing something from Shades of Green, just give them a little nod or greet them with what I wrote in mind. They may not be returning to a war zone, but everyone in the military needs a little thanks sometimes. . . . cast members are not the only ones who can make a magical moment!

I have rambled on long enough. If you know someone who lost their life during the attacks on 9/11 or overseas in the battles that followed anywhere in the world, pay them some tribute here. Or just post your thoughts and stories. Then go back and post some fun Disney stuff!
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 09-11-2005 at 03:02 PM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!
    I know when I go to the parks today, and ESPECIALLY tomorrow, and see someone in their uniform or a means of showing they are in the service, I will make sure that I thank them. If possible treat them to lunch.

I will never forget 9/11 and how I felt that day. I'll never forget seeing the sky over Chicago become clear of jet streams. I'll never forget seeing the one jet stream that did a complete 180 back towards NYC. There are so many memories tied to that day, that it's impossible to forget.

God Bless those who have served, are serving, and will serve for the freedom of our country!
    *SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star

I will start this thread off by paying tribute to Navy Corpsman 1st Class (SEAL) Jeffrey S. Taylor

I met Taylor in the Naval hospital where I was laid up from an injury for 90 days. We shared a room. We were both big Star Trek:The Next Generation fans but that was the ONLY thing we could agree on on the T.V. He wanted to be in the SEALs and had broken an arm and a leg during training. We were both so bored out of our minds that we embarked on an adventure involving a free day at Disneyland, not entirely approved liberty, the two of us with our casts and wheelchairs, and 2 Navy nurses we got to push us around the park. The details of that adventure are probably not entirely appropriate for these forums, but in the aftermath I was demoted a rank and he was moved to another part of the hospital (don't know what happened to the nurses)!

I didn't see him again after that until I saw his picture and heard his name on the news. I guess he made it into the SEALS after all.

Navy Corpsman 1st Class (SEAL) Jeffrey S. Taylor was killed June 28th 2005 when his helicopter crashed while on route to a battle against militants in eastern Afghanistan.

I didn't know him that well except for that memorable day in Disneyland, but Semper Fi!
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 09-11-2005 at 03:27 PM.

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    I work for an inusrance company whose main office was in the World Trade Center tower one... I remeber that day driving to work and hearing the breaking news on the radio... I work in Albany but most of our customers are from NYC... That day was the most silent day ever in my call center... I had a total of 5 calls in 8 and 1/2 hours... The normal call volume is 100 a day.. 3 of those calls happened to be Dr'd and Rn's seeing if we were all okay not knowing that my office was located in Albany.. That night my company set up a new call center to try and locate over 2000 employees down in NYC... We had a list of our emplyees names and phone numbers... We would call each one by one to see if they were safe... we would note there conditions and where abouts on our comptuer system and gave a call in number for friends and family members to contact to see if their loved ones were safe..

I will NEVER forget one call.. I spoke to a woman who was safe at home but wanted to know the where abouts of a co-worker Ed... I looked up his name in our system but he was listed as "no answer" She told me that he was in a wheel chair and he stayed behind as the rest of her unit cleared out.. She began crying praying that he was able to get out safely.. She then gave the name of another co-worker who stayed behind with Ed... I looked up his name and also saw "no answer" next to his name... I talked to this woman for about 20 minutes she was telling me the horrible things that she had seen that day.... Chills were running down my spine... I had checked the system the next night to show that still Ed nor his faithful friend had been found... A week went by and I saw a news article hanging up in our office... There was a picture of a man in a wheel chair... It was a story about Ed and his friend Jim... They both perished in the tower... They had interviewed Jim's wife where she stated that Jim had called her at work and told her that he was okay and not to worry.. He said that he was waiting for help for Ed and did not want to leave him alone... Help never came and Jim and Ed lost their lives when the tower colapsed... I cried.... Never meeting Jim nor Ed but it seemed like I knew them from the woman on the phone and reading the news article.. Jim sacraficed his life for a co-worker... to me he was a Hero that day!!!

What a story! That's the kind of thing I started this thread for!

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Back in 2001, I meet this girl (Sabrina) through a friend. Sabrina was a native of NYC and a very sweet, down to earth girl. I didn't know that Sabrina's parents both worked at the Twin Towers until 9/11. Her mother never made it out and her body was never recovered. Sabrina's father escaped only to die from his injuries 2 days later. Sabrina had to leave school and return home to help raise four younger sibilings.
    Last edited by gator717; 09-11-2005 at 12:04 AM.
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't have a story of loss but I will never forget that day.

I work at RDU airport and at that time I was still fueling airliners. I was working with a new employee, training him how do fuel airplanes. We were making our way back to our facility when my wife called. She said for me to get to a TV because something just hit the World Trade Center. I asked what it was and she said they thought it might have been a single engine Cessna but she wasn't sure. So of course I got to a TV quick.

Sitting there in the lobby with several corporate pilots, we watched as the second plane hit. At that moment we knew the world had changed. Because we could tell that this wasn't a small airplane. Within an hour the decision was made to shut down the whole air system. As the planes landed, many of them had not intended to land at RDU, every pilot asked what was going on. I just told them that it was bad and they needed to go watch the TV.

That night, my wife and I were standing at our back door looking towards the airport and realized that we couldn't see any aircraft lights, something we normally see at night. I talked to my Dad, a 38 year USAir employee, and we realized that this was probably the only time since about 1930 that there wasn't a civil aviation aircraft in the air.

The next few days at the airport were surreal. Of course we had to be there since we didn't know when the air system would reopen. The airport normally always has some noise, not then. It was so quiet that in the morning you could hear the deer in the neighboring park talking to each other. Later in the day I could hear a train pulling into Cary, about 5 miles away. You could easily hear the cars passing on I-40.

I sincerely hope that we never have anything like that happen to us again.
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Darn, I was hoping this would be a little more popular. . . .

If anyone is interested, take a look at http://militarycity.com/valor/ to read about the men and women who have lost their lives in the combat zones.

You can also take a look at:
    http://CNN.com/SPECIALS/2001/trade.c...e.victims.html

It is a list of those who died on 9/11/01 on the planes, the WTC, and the Pentagon.
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 09-11-2005 at 03:24 PM.

A guy that I used to work with lost his life while working at the WTC on 9/11. He was from a town up in Northern Michigan, but like so many others had made it to the big city to start a new life. He had just gotten married the beginning of that faithful Summer and was just truly beginning his life. I only hope that he didn't suffer and that he went quickly. My heart aches every single time I hear anything about 9/11. Like Shadesofgreen said, not just for the people who lost their lives on that day, but for all those serving our country and fighting for our freedom. Our lives as Americans will never be the same and unfortunately....most of us will probably live to see something similar happen again, although I pray not.

RIP Brock....

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i used to work in the towers, at Morgan Stanley, on the 34th floor. lots of great memories of that place. there was a group of us that would always have lunch together, usually out in the courtyard, inside in the mall if it was raining/cold. when it was nice we'd sit by the fountain, the guys commenting on the women, the girls calling us pigs. lots of great, funny conversations. three of the old gang never made it out that day.

there was also an italian place right in the courtyard. i had an interview at Oppenheimer Funds, and my wife was in the city on business. it was timed perfect that after my interview, she would be done with what she had to do and we could meet up and go back home together, but we decided to have lunch first. since she was on business, and could charge it to work, she said we should take advantage of it and splurge. it was one of the best times i had with her. the weather was perfect, we both happened to be dressed in our best, and there i was with the girl i loved. and, i could tell from the look in her eyes that she felt the same, like a million bucks, and never wanted it to end. i had always planned on going back there with her...........

it hurts me still, i have a lot of great memories tied to that place, good friends i should've stayed in touch with, and i can never go back.

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    I don't have a story of losing anyone but 2 of people that should have been in those towers...

The 1st on is of my husband's gradfather...he had a meeting that day with some bankers concerning his business. He decided at the last minute that he was going to go to Ca. to talk to some other bankers instead. He never notified anyone in the family or at home base that he had a change of plans. That morning after the news broke my mother-in-law tried to get ahold of him and couldn't. We finally heard from him later on in the afternoon...thank goodness.

The 2nd story is about a lady that works with my mother... her daughter worked in one of the towers and because it was such a beautiful day that day, she decided to take her time getting to work that day. She ended misssing the planes by about 20 minutes.

A lot of people ask "Where was God that day?" and my feeling was that he was doing his job...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    It's a day I will never forget. I still can smell the fuel from the planes all the way over in Jersey. That day was so surreal. I keep remembering having my daugther wake me up telling me that day the tv wasn't working( I had the cable off at the time) and for whatever reason that day I deiceded that the kids weren't going to school and I wasn't going to work.I just keep remembering what kinda of an idot hit the World Trade Center unitl 5 minutes later on live tv I saw something that change our world forever. When I saw that plane hit the second tower I knew something was really wrong and that this could only get worst. I kept thinking about those poor people. But what made matters worst for me was when they hit the Pentagon I really went into a panic.You see just about my whole family works for the Federal Government in some shape or form. All I could think about was Oklahoma City and the Bombing of the Fedaral Bldg out there. I figured that they were going to attack every Federal enity possible that they could. The problelm I had that day was when they did hit the Pentagon every phone line in every federal bldg my family was in went down. I was scare to death. The worst part was my Mom was flying that day from Missouri to visit us and it was a surpise and I thought she was at work and I couldn't get in touch with her. But thank God her flight got deverted and landed in Detorit. She was stuck there for a week and never made it back home to see us so she just went back to Missouri.

You see I live about 30 minute away by car from NY and I was very scare that day not only for those poor people in NY but for the entire Country. I know a lot of you saw it on tv just like me. But the fact that for about a week I could still smell the fuel burning. That how bad this was that it reach so far into my state. It was a constant and horrible reminder that there are people out there that really hate our country.

When I go to the city now and I drive on the bridge to the Lincoln Tunnel it bother me so much because I can't remember were the towers were. Our skyline is so different now and it will never be the same. I drive down in lower Manahattan a lot and to see were the tower use to be is a very errie feeling. The worst part is I some time don't remember because of all the road blocks I get so turned around.I just pray this never happens again ever.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Thanks, SHades, for the tribute and all those who have shared stories.

I have not lost anyone directly from 9-11, but I do have a good friend of mine from the ARMY reserves who is a Capt. and has been in Iraq since the day after Thanksgiving last year.

I don't talk to him much but think of him often. Your thread reminded me it might be a good time to send him an email (his qroup has built a website and he can check messages from home there) so I checked in and he is well, and doing good work. Anyway, thinking of all of you who have lost someone directly and the rest of us who are grateful for the sacrafice of those who have put themselves in the middle of this battle to help our country in any way.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    When I think of the aftermath of this horrible event, I can't do anything but cry. My grandfather was in WWII and nearly lost his life in the battle of the bulge. My dad was in Vietnam, and although he wont talk about it much, I have heard of times when I might never have known my dad at all. I just have a hard time thinking about the families of those soldiers that may never see their grandfathers or dads again.....it just makes me sad that this world would really come to this.

With Al Kaida (I don't know how to spell it) and its ways of loving "anniversaries", I was almost afraid to leave my house yesterday. I live in Atlanta - a "target" city so to speak. Now I hear how they have threathened LA and Australia.....peace loving guys my @$$!!!!

I worked in Investor Relations at the time of 9/11, and while I did not know anyone in the towers personally, we had a lot of analysts that worked there. Luckily they all checked in. But I just remember standing around a tv set in one of the directors offices and watching the first tower smoking and seeing something come from the side...and the newscaster yelling, another one hit the other tower!
    One of those days you can always remember where you were.....
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Shades,

Thank you for starting this thread. I think it is important to remind people WHY we are in Iraq and Afgahanistan fighting the war on terror. Remembering what happened that terrible day, while still disturbing, does exactly that.

Thank you to all our service men and women fighting to keep us safe from radical terrorists and for protecting our freedom. I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

God bless our troops!!
    God bless America!!!!!

Thank you,

Todd
    "You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast