Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Rare 'Corpse Flower' Getting Ready To Make A Big Stink at Disney's Animal Kingdom in the Community Center forums; For the second summer in a row, a giant flower is on the verge of making a big stink at Disney's Animal Kingdom. A rare Titan Arum -- known as ...
    Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder

Rare 'Corpse Flower' Getting Ready To Make A Big Stink at Disney's Animal Kingdom

For the second summer in a row, a giant flower is on the verge of making a big stink at Disney's Animal Kingdom. A rare Titan Arum -- known as the "corpse flower" because of the peculiar odor it emits -- is expected to burst into all of its putrescent wonder around Labor Day weekend.

And it could be a blossom for the record books.

According to Disney horticulture manager Wendy Andrew, the titan growing at the Walt Disney World theme park is on pace to rival the nine-foot-tall world record bloom set in Germany. "Because of the size of the tuber it's growing on, there is the potential for this flower to set a Guinness World Record when it blooms," Andrew said.

It is the second Titan Arum to bloom in as many years at the theme park. In mid-July 2004, a Titan Arum more than five feet tall bloomed at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

The sensational stinkpot gives new meaning to the term Flower Power. Once the single spathe is unfurled, the odor -- similar to rotting flesh -- only lasts for a couple of days. Its statuesque nature and rancid scent is nature's way of attracting pollination.

Native to the rainforests of Sumatra, the Titan Arum in the wild is pollinated by a carrion fly that can follow its scent from miles way. A pollinated titan inflorescence can produce more than 1,000 fruit, each containing up to two seeds.

Disney's Animal Kingdom guests can currently view the impressive bud as it grows in Rafiki's Planet Watch -- and then catch a whiff of the odoriferous flower when it finally blooms around Labor Day Weekend.

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    That flower bloomed about 2 weeks ago. It was quite a bit smaller than they thought it was going to be, about 4 feet. It was extra stinky!
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Gross!!! the smell of flowers alone always remind me of funeral homes.. but a flower that actually smells like the corpse is just nasty!!

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    A stinky flower at Disney? Not acceptable!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning

IT'S UGLY TOO!!

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    gross!

it looks like red X! Yuck!

edit: I liked it better as red X

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    hey some of us have to work at a red X

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    there was one of those that bloomed at the atlanta botanical gardens last year - omg that STANK was awful. You seriously had to hold your breath.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I've got to admit, I'm curious how this particular flower managed to get itself among the other forms of plant life on Disney property, in light of the lecture I once had on the lengths imagineers went to for attractions like the Jungle Cruise; even more so if it's as rare as they say (and native to Sumatra). Anyone, any ideas?
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

WDWScottieBoy is offline Finally moved to Orlando!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    I've got to admit, I'm curious how this particular flower managed to get itself among the other forms of plant life on Disney property, in light of the lecture I once had on the lengths imagineers went to for attractions like the Jungle Cruise; even more so if it's as rare as they say (and native to Sumatra). Anyone, any ideas?
    This flower is extremely rare and Disney acquired some seeds so that it could help keeping the flower blooming and getting more seeds from it.
    *SCOTT*

UNOFFICIAL WDW TEEN EXPERT!

SAC5286 on AIM (I'm always on and willing to talk)

DWTs very own Disney Commercial Star

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i've heard about it, the flower is supposed to mimic a decaying animal with it's blood red color and distinct odor, in order to attract insects. whether that's for feeding or germination, i'm not sure, i don't remember.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Once again, I'm reminded that Mother Nature is quite a lady, but she can have a sick sense of humor.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides