Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Shoot to Kill in the Community Center forums; I have just heard that Florida as of 1st October is bringing in a new law which allows people to defend themselves by what ever means they see fit, even ...
    Shogun is offline A-Ticket holder

Shoot to Kill

I have just heard that Florida as of 1st October is bringing in a new law which allows people to defend themselves by what ever means they see fit, even if it means 'shoot to kill'
    Local people will probably be aware of it but tourists should be warned not to get into arguments especially 'road rage' arguments as you could be legally shot.
    Dont want to alarm anybody but just be careful.

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    That's scary. Is that really a good idea? I know there are a lot of people out there with bad tempers and if they're allowed by law to defend themselves they may go to such extremes. I don't like it.
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

gator717 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    I have just heard that Florida as of 1st October is bringing in a new law which allows people to defend themselves by what ever means they see fit, even if it means 'shoot to kill'
    Local people will probably be aware of it but tourists should be warned not to get into arguments especially 'road rage' arguments as you could be legally shot.
    Law or not law, being raised in Miami it was a way of life. Certain parts of Miami are really bad with crime and people would and still do shoot for no reason. Hect too bad I didn't know how to shoot! My house got robbed three times in less than a year!!!!!!!!
    UF Alumni: '04 BABA, '06 MAB

rvastro is offline C-Ticket Holder
    In rural locations here in Florida where the police can take 30 to 45 minutes to reach a crime scene-I see no problem with this form of self defense.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun
    Welcome to the boards!!!

That is really scary!!!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    We Brits have envied the freedom you have with regards to personal defence for years. For instance, there was a very famous case over here which often gets dragged-up again by British right-wing newspapers, where an English farmer shot and killed one of two intruders in his home. He later went to jail for manslaughter. As a final sting, the other home-breaker, who was also wounded, went on to sue the guy for injuries...

We would love the right to use legitimate force in such a situation, but being given God-like power to mow down people as you see fit over 'road-rage incidents'? I hate resorting to the stereotypical image of Americans being gun-loving lunatics, but it is looking more and more realistic...

I hope all of you on DWT have more sense than the rednecks who'll use this law...

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    I hope all of you on DWT have more sense than the rednecks who'll use this law...

I'm going hunting!!

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

Oh well, each to their own.

- Walt Disney

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    Quote Originally Posted by dzney4lyf
    I'm going hunting!!
    We only hunt deer where we're from. There is a Glock in my parents bedroom and a shotgun in my brother's that is always loaded. I can't legally have a gun in my room or really care to have one, but there is a dagger beside my bed and my bow and quiver is close by. (Yeah, I go old school ) We also have an alarm system so I feel pretty safe. If there is an intruder in my home, all of my family would shoot to kill.
    Last edited by hillo; 09-27-2005 at 08:47 PM. Reason: I had more to say
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I'd hate to be in a situation where I felt I actually NEEDED this law. Not passing judgements-just (right now, at least!) not something I can see being necessary in my neck of the woods. Hopefully, I'll never be in a position to understand it.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    BTW: WELCOME SHOGUN and I Love your avatar!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    YEEE-HAAW!
    Lock-n-Load pardner!

(Seriously, Texas hasn't exactly become a pit of anarchy over their gun laws, I don't think Florida will either. . . . well, any more than usual.)
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreen
    YEEE-HAAW!
    Congrats! I was waiting for the first to say that. Would have said it myself, but it wouldn't really have been appropriate coming from me...

Now, there's something that's been bothering me. Your screen name, actually.
    Is it in honour of that well known Disney resort?

- Walt Disney

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    Now, there's something that's been bothering me. Your screen name, actually.
    Is it in honour of that well known Disney resort?
    Careful. . . .Those're shootin' words!
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

luciansmommy is offline A-Ticket holder
    can you believe that some burglers actually have sued people who have protected thier homes by shooting them, and WON because the robber said that he is unable to perform his job (which is what, robbing people) because he was shot! I read that somewhere but can't recall exactly where.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast