Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss a few questions for CM's past and present in the Community Center forums; to any of you who have been a CM's past or present a few questions what was your starting salary? how long was your normal work day? i assume working ...
    pansflight is offline A-Ticket holder

a few questions for CM's past and present

to any of you who have been a CM's past or present a few questions

what was your starting salary?

how long was your normal work day?

i assume working the attractions is where its at, but are there any other jobs that are better or as good, any that would be suggested to avoid?

did the job afftect your love of the parks or disney in any way?

were you a cared about member of the staff of just a number in the thousands who came and went each day?

was your supervisor/boss someone who you enjoyed working for, if not why?

were the perks worth it or did you barely use them?

thanks so much to any of you who can answer these questions for me!

also if this topic was created in the wrong place im sorry and please have a mod move it appropriately.

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    Ok I was a CM at both The Land taking care of the plants in the greenhouse on Living with the Land and a front desk cashier at the Yacht and Beach in 2004. I will try my best to answer all your questions.

Salaries vary. I think the base rate is 6.15 some jobs pay more such as at the front desk when I started I made 7.15/hr. At The Land I made $9 as an advanced intern which is very high on the intern scale. This was because I was considered essential and difficult to replace.

I almost always worked an 8 and 1/2 hr day with an hour in breaks divided up in various ways. If you worked any time over that you got time and a half pay up to 4 additional hours and then double time, I think. You were required to have at least 8 hours between shifts or they paid double time on the second shift.

I loved my job in the greenhouse and I was not very fond of my job at the front desk. Perhaps because one I was doing something I loved, taking care of plants and the other I was just doing a job to get paid and stay at Disney World until something in my field opened up (Nothing ever did by the way so I left). Don't get me wrong some days I loved the front desk. It was one place where you could definately have a positive impact on a guests stay. I loved being able to squeeze a guest in at Victoria and Alberts or call in ballons for a little boys birthday. However, there were days that really, really stunk where everybody screamed at you for things you couldn't fix. Some of my favorites, fix Space Mountain, the lines were long, make the hurricane go away. People just need someone to vent at sometimes and a lot of times it was me.

In both places i definately felt like I was cared about but I had great managers. Not everyone feels that way. I was very lucky.

I actually think working there made me love Disney even more. I still think it is the best job I will ever have and hope someday to go back. In the meantime I made lifelong friends who continue to get me into the parks for free whenever i want.

I used the perks a lot, discounts and free admission. Disney made their money right back on me though I wound up spending a lot of my salary at the restaurants and stores.

Hope this helps and I'll be glad to answer any other questions you have. Oh and welcome to the boards.

sarathegreat your the best thanks for taking the time to answer those questions. i can def understand how some days were good and some days were bad, when dealing with the public your often times in the line of fire when they are having a bad day. and it sounds like if you can get a job you want then the experience can be really good. the pay seems a little low to me, but i guess when they are giving you all those perks they figure it evens out...of course as you said it would be very easy to spend half your salary on food and merch

so was it easy to get what you wanted, like say if i wanted to work an attraction could i request that and thats what i would do?

also what kind of opportunity for advancement is there, say if you started off on one of the lower rungs of the company can you move up or is that pretty unlikely?

thanks

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    what was your starting salary?
    $7.50 per hour, paid more than most since Outdoor Foods is a high demand job

how long was your normal work day?
    typically 8 hours with an hour with breaks

i assume working the attractions is where its at, but are there any other jobs that are better or as good, any that would be suggested to avoid? If you don't like people and don't handle stress well, avoid Outdoor Foods, I've heard character horror stories, but aside from the summer, I've heard that a pretty good job

did the job afftect your love of the parks or disney in any way?
    not really

were you a cared about member of the staff of just a number in the thousands who came and went each day?
    I had 5 managers, but overall they made everybody feel they were needed at the job and cared for

was your supervisor/boss someone who you enjoyed working for, if not why? Yeah, I suppose, 3 out of the 5 were pretty friendly

were the perks worth it or did you barely use them?
    I went to the theme park for free every chance I got, so I'd say it was worth it
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    Yes the pay is very low but i still loved it and thats why they are able to keep people. Universal and Sea World both pay better if you are interested.

The internship was very hard to get I spent a year interviewing for it. The job at the front desk was easy. Basically I just walked into the casting office and told them my internship was ending and I wanted to stay. They showed me a list of my options and I chose the front desk. There is usually a wide variety of jobs available. If the one you really want isn't there sometimes they can even put you on waiting lists. My bf wanted to work jungle cruise and was putting on a waiting list. In the meantime he was a presenter at Innoventions. He left Disney before being called up for Jungle Cruise but it does happen.

There is lots of opportunity for advancement. They offer lots of training courses in management and are constantly trying to move people up. Most of the people I worked at the front desk with are now either in training to become managers or at least in much higher jobs than they started out with.

thanks for the info the heat and sarathegreat, it is all very informative and is def helping me figure out if working for good ol disney is in the cards for me

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    What was your starting salary?
    The pay is low...right around what minimum wage is...BUT if you love Disney it's not that big a deal.

How long was your normal work day?
    So far my days have been 8-8.5 hours, but you can apply for Extra Hours and work from an opening to a closing...and then some.

I assume working the attractions is where its at, but are there any other jobs that are better or as good, any that would be suggested to avoid?
    Like Jim said, if your not the type to be a "people person" stay out of the light! There are a lot of backstage opportunities that get the perks, BUT if you want to work in the parks a character, or entertainer, or attractions (questionable because you are not with guest for an OVERLY (stress that it is sometimes slow) long period of time having to answer questions and such. I work Merchandise and Glow and LOVE the guest interaction and I hope to be moving to Guest Relations next summer.

Did the job afftect your love of the parks or disney in any way?
    Are you kidding...it made my love for the company stronger...to see the inner-workings is great. My dorm room is all Disney, my Christmas decorations will be like Disney, my computer has lots and lots of Disney...all in all it would take a lot to not like Disney. Other Orlando parks (non-Disney) well thats a long story...

Were you a cared about member of the staff of just a number in the thousands who came and went each day?
    When you deal with HR or people that aren't around you on a daily basis, yes you can be just a number; BUT, the managers I worked with got to know me, they saw how I worked and reacted to others and situations and used the things they gained from watching me to know how to tell me information. They do this with all the Cast in my area. If I had a problem and a captain couldn't fix it my managers were more than happy to assist. Very Personable. I have yet to find another company where you can make fun of the managers (within reason) and get away with it!!

Was your supervisor/boss someone who you enjoyed working for, if not why?
    I LOVE MY MANAGERS AND SUPERVISORS!!! At one point, when I was working two jobs (one Disney and one (NAMELESS) Hotel Front Desk), i would say "why aren't you guys like my Disney managers....oh that's right you have a stick up your....".!!! I did have one manager that did get offended and felt like she didn't have enough power and...that got a little hairy (not very Disney-like or lady-like) but she is now in a different area. Now not to knock CP's, because they are great, but some of them just don't care and it makes me MAD. **personal note: I also don't think they like me very much, they always seem to talk behind my back:end personal note**

Were the perks worth it or did you barely use them?
    Hel...Heck Yeah they're worth it!!! Disney Perks are the best on earth. Of course it takes becoming an Executive to POSSIBLY(sp?) get a car but I use mine ALL THE TIME. I sometimes get out of a rough day of class and get in the car, drive the hour, get a box of popcorn and drive back (or maybe stay for fireworks and then go back to campus). And the shopping discount...well lets put it this way, I was working 2 jobs last summer and had roughly $2500 in the bank when school started...right now....well it's unspeakable. (WARNING- Be Cautious When You Become A Cast Member).

I love being a Cast Member and being able to "make magic happen" is great. I live by the goals of Walt Disney and firmly believe things STILL need to change. There is one thing that I do outside of work...and that is represent the Walt Disney Company to the best of my ability, at all cost (if it means you are going to be late for something, within reason, take the extra few minutes with a possible guest, "sell" Disney), and I hope you do too. I have spent more hours OUTSIDE of work, working for Disney that I should already have a 10 year Service Award (not to gloat or anything). All Cast Members (even when they are with fellow Cast Members) need to remember that if we don't show respect for OUR company, those other companies against us will steal our guest. We need to always remember this. And even if you are not in costume, if you have your ID card with you, you are representing the Walt Disney Company. i hope that this helps a little bit and enjoy, as much as the other Cast Members on this site, working for the Walt Disney Company.

All the very best
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Paul, love your thoughts and you are a GREAT representative of Disney.....

I'll get Andrew to answer these later this weekend (this is our Friday, so we'll be at the parks the next two days.) I am only a CM by association....
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

see this is why disney fans are the best, thanks so much for your report summersun and i look forward to hearing what your andrew has to say mommytomjm. everyone has been amazing on these boards...its def reassuring to hear that working there hasnt changed your love of disney and instead has only inhanced it, my main concern has always been that i would get stuck cleaning bathrooms or emptying garbages (nothing against those jobs or the people that do them, i have done them for the past three years for the buffalo bills, so i have complete respect for those folks). i just know i would dislike those jobs at disney and wouldnt want that to make me end up not liking the parks...that would be horrible!