Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Discussions Discuss Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (maybe spoilers) in the Community Center forums; Originally Posted by 4Mickey Jedi, I'm with you 100%! I loved the graphics in this movie but just could NOT believe that they left out so much!!! How are they ...
    JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Mickey
    Jedi, I'm with you 100%! I loved the graphics in this movie but just could NOT believe that they left out so much!!! How are they going to explain the $, Rita, the severity of the situation, why no one will believe Dumbledore (since Jr. was just taken back to Azkaban where he can be questioned now) HELLO!?!?!?! These were important details they shouldn't have screwed up? Have they not read 5&6???
    Since they just completely took Dobby out, are they saying that Neville stole the gillyweed from Snape? Just wondering??? Throughout the movie, I kept saying, "Um, that's not right!" I would have much rather seen Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire part 1 & Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire part 2 (like the Kill Bill volumes). That way they could have added so much more. Isn't it important that he was at the Dursleys to begin with??? I wish the last 2 were more like the first 2! They were so much more true to the books!

Oh well...
    Yes I agree I would have went to see a two part movie then this chopped together version. There to many unaswer questions and not going to make any sense to people who haven't read the books. 4Mickey is so right how are they going to explain the whole thing with Harry having to go to the Dursley every summer for his safety when in this movie it looks like he never went. I really doubt people assumed that he went there epscially since they weren't in it anywhere or metion and Garain makes another good point who pick up on the whole reason why Neville was so upset about the spider. I knew because I read the book my daughter and like three other people around me was like what wrong why is he so upset. OH and what was up with the whole trail thing come on Karoff wasn't even in the trail scene in the book. It was like they wrote it so he can something to say. Oh and what about how Barty Sr. got killed no one ask who killed him or why.Once again something you wouldn't know if you didn't read the book. Also the whole leaving the Veela thing out was messed up. They made it seem Ron just like Fleur for her excuse me her bottom(LOL) it was so mess up I was so wanting to walk out of the movie but I stay to give it a chance to no avail.

I would prepare ourselves for the possiblty that they will start taking major and I mean major charcters out. Just look at how it ended. It not going to make since the next two movies the way their going so far. But knowing them they will fix it to fit they way alter storyline.

Oh yeah I did like the SFX.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

hafrase is offline All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them.
    Okay - the film part of me keeps saying how this was such a great movie and I really enjoyed the special effects (the horntail was particularly awesome!).... but then the writer in me keeps thinking about how much they screwed up the book. I don't understand how they can keep planning to have the rest of the movies if they leave out details that are important.... Hagrid heading off into the wodds, anyone??? I guess only time will tell when they attempt to cover their tracks later (sigh). However, since I did go with people who haven't read the Harry Potter books, they told me it was a GREAT movie that everyone should see.... so if you're not a Harry Potter purist, I think you'll enjoy it!
    You can dream, create, design, and build the most wonderful place in the world... but it requires people to make the dream a reality.
    ~Walt Disney

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    I can't wait until tomorrow when we go and see it!! I'll be able to add my views then!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Well, we went to see Harry Potter today and we both thoroughly enjoyed the film!! It was a lot darker than the previous ones and the special effects used it it were awesome. The young actors are certainly coming along way - it is literally like watching them grow up from movie to movie (school year to school year)!!
    Again, I agree with what has been said before in the fact that a lot had to be cut to make the film. This is a great shame but had to be done so that you don't end up with a 5 hour film!! What was left though worked really well and from our point of view: It was definately worth seeing!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    Yes they did leave out a ton, but I feel that I would rather them make the entire movie in one installment instead of two. There is really no logical break in book four where they could end the first half and pick up with the second half. Also I am not a fan of waiting around for another year to see part 2 of book 4. It just wouldn't make sense to do it that way. I mean most of the kids are 17-18 besides Hermoine who is 15 so by the time they make book 6 they will all be 25! So they did need to keep it to one movie instead of two. I do feel they could have made it a little longer and added some important parts but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it! MUCH BETTER THEN AZKABAN at least!
    About the Veelas, they did leave it out, but when the girls come into the hall if you have read the book you can see how they are trying to get the point across that something is magical about these girls. I liked how they made their entrance.
    Overall I thought it was great! Book 5 is going to be an immense challenge. That book is so extremely full of detail and there is so much going on with every character that I am not sure if they will be able to pull it off in one movie. If they do I have a feeling it will not be the best.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I'm like totally reviving this thread because, 1) I'm a recently addicted Potter fan, and 2), this seemed like the best HP discussion thread already here at DWT that wasn't already ahead of how far I've read in the series. In other words, I don't want to ruin the rest of the books for myself yet.

I have to admit, when the HP books first started becoming a "big thing" i simply passed it off with a "hmmph... silly fantasy stuff!" I was probably still a little bitter at the fact that I kind of indirectly lost a girlfriend when she found some "cool new friends" who were into all that fantasy/magic/dungeons & dragons kind of thing... I couldn't pretend to like that stuff, and we ended up going different ways, and splitting up an awesome (almost 4 year) relationship in the process. So, the whole fantasy magic thing for me was a sore spot for a while.

Then came the movies. Sorcerer's Stone... my youngest brother had been a reader of the books, and was pulling to go see this movie. My mom took him, and she came back giving rave reviews and "you've gotta see this, everyone should see this movie." I was reluctant (magic... pffft!), but watched it with the fam shortly after my bro recieved the DVD as a gift. I guess I kinda figured that reading the book wasn't worth the time and effort, but I guess I could spare a couple hours to humor my mom and lil bro. But after it was over, I had to admit, it was kinda neat. Still not hooked, but kinda enjoying it.

So naturally, when Chamber hit theaters, I caved... allright, let's go see it. I actually took my brother to go see this one, and by the end of #2, I was calling myself a HP fan... well, of the movies anyway. Still haven't gotten motivated enough to read the books. Too little time, I kept telling myself... and the movies are cool enough on their own. This second movie was probably the most suspenseful so far... at least in my opinion. I was legitimately concerned for the safety of Harry and Ginny down there in the chamber. (In case you couldn't figure that out, that was my "macho" attempt at skirting the fact that I was scared silly and sitting on the edge of my seat like the first time I rode Space Mountain.) My school shows free movies every thursday night all semester long, and one of the movies that following semester was HP2. I dragged my then-roomate, a die-hard LOTR fan to go see it. It was kind of funny to see how quickly my opinion of HP had reversed from "Magic... pffft!" to "trust me... you're gonna love this!"

Then came POA. I honestly don't remember who I saw this with, or even how many times I saw it. All I remember is that I saw it, and liked it, although being that I hadn't read a single book yet, some of the characters were getting confusing. The movies didn't do a great job of really getting into the characters, so at the end of that one I was kinda like "Lupin/Sirius/Pettigrew/Snape... lots of people/animals/magical creatures popping in and out and disarming each other in like 3 mins of film and...huh? I'm more than a little lost." It was at this point that I really started considering maybe asking my brother if I could borrow his books so I could try to piece together the missing details.

Then Goblet hit theaters... Somehow since the last movie (I think it was a busy year or something) I had temporarily forgotten my newfound Potter fan-dom, and was kind of shocked there was a new movie coming out already. I still hadn't picked up a book, but was sure to go see the movie shortly before x-mas with my girlfriend. she, like me, had seen all the movies (and like my brother, owned 1 and 2 on DVD), but had yet to pick up a HP book. I had to admit that I didn't like it as much as I expected. I liked that this was the first one that really introduced a pseudo-romance theme to it, but I really hated the whole first part of the movie where Ron and Harry are at each other's throats. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I'd heard many a review that preached GOF being the "darkest" yet of the HP films, but in my opinion, Chamber was still the one that gave me the biggest willies. But one thing seeing this latest film DID do for me was that it convinced me that I needed to start reading, before I was 7 books behind the films. I was tired of sitting there scratching my head thinking to myself, "Wait... why does she want him to write to Sirius?.... I thought he was the bad guy last time. Oh no wait.. that's right, he was a good guy who everyone thought was a bad guy. Wait... didn't he have some sort of tie to Harry?" So, after buying my little bro DVD #3 for x-mas and taking him to go see GOF (making my second viewing of the film in just over a week), I asked him to let me start reading his books. I was tired of him knowing all the answers and me being clueless.

So, within about two more weeks, I had books 1-3 behind me and was starting on #4 as I boarded the plane to come back down to school. My little bro was kind enough to let me borrow 4 & 5 for the semester. He doesn't own 6 yet for some reason. I've found it a little difficult to read while juggling schoolwork, flying, and my Disney obsession (capitalized by the fact that now I have a Cast Member girlfriend living just over an hour from me needing my attention), so it took me a few weeks to finish #4... not to mention it's twice as long as some of the earlier books.

Well, I just finished it today, and I have to say that everything makes a whole lot more sense now that I know the characters and the "beyond the movie" stuff. Although I agree with most of what you guys have discussed in posts prior to mine here about wishing they hadn't cut so much from the books, much of it I can see perfectly well why they cut it. As it, the 4th movie was 2 1/2 hours long... some of the scenes, in order to leave them in, would require additional scenes to either introduce or bring closure to them, or would require additional actors and effects. Between the movie becoming very lengthy and the cost of making the movie going up and up by adding in all these not-really absolutely necessary scenes... I could totally see why it would be a good call to cut them. Besides... you have to figure a large percentage of the audience at these movies have never read the books. I can vouch for them... ignorance is bliss. If you don't know there is more to them, you don't miss it. I suppose that if I had read the books first and then seen the movie, I'd be saying exactly what you are. But having seen the movies first and then read the books, I kind of feel like the books are simply improving upon or building off of what I've already seen. I kind of like having seen the movies first. It also helps to visualize the characters in the book when I've already seen them on the screen.

That being said, I'm tempted to hold off on reading #5 until after the movies comes out, but I really don't think that's going to happen. Not now that I've read the first 4 in under a month, am raving like a lunatic about them, and have the next one sitting right here on my book shelf.

I'm glad I finally caved in and caught on to this HP craze. It's still silly to me... but it's fantasy silly, and I enjoy it I never stopped to really put it together before, but taking a few minutes each day to delve into a world of unreality, where magic and fantasy make just as much sense as anything else... is really not much different than my spending a day at the Magic Kingdom. When I really stop to think about it, I love going to Disney because it transports me out of reality and into a world of magic and make-believe. Reading Harry Potter or watching the films does the same kind of thing... but without the added strain and expense of an hour and a half drive and an $11 burger, fries, and coke meal.

So please... someone humor me and start up another HP discussion (without getting into the books I haven't read yet please). I'd love to jump right in and make use of some of my brand new Potter knowledge!

[Don strolls away from his keyboard for a snack, humming and whistling Hedwig's theme]
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12