Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Rent in the Community Center forums; Well... I bought the soundtrack for the movie version of RENT a few days ago... and it was quite different from the original broadway version. So basically I knew there ...
    rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak

Rent

Well... I bought the soundtrack for the movie version of RENT a few days ago... and it was quite different from the original broadway version. So basically I knew there would be alot of differences.

I saw the movie tonight.... er.... well it's 1:22am so... last night.

I still like the stage version better.... but this was awesome and I can't wait to see it again. Like "Phantom of the Opera" alot of musical parts were cut out... probably because you don't get an intermission in a movie theater (not anymore at least).
    But through flashbacks and funky little musical montages.... the message got across anyways.

I will always be loyal to the original cast members, but the few roles that were changed... I have to admit those people rocked.

One benefit of film.... we could see subtle expressions and movements that you couldn't see from..... like the balcony or the back row of a stage theater.

I did get really mad at these kids next to me that kept laughing at every little thing that Mark did... even the parts that were't funny.
    But oh well... i'll see it again on friday.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    can't wait to see that movie
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Saw the preview in Atlanta the other night!!!!
    LOVED IT! Had to sit way to close to the screen though.
    I have to say, I love being able to see the subtle things too.....
    All in all, a good job was done on this movie!!!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm going to see it tomorrow. Being the big band geek that I am, I MUST see every musical...I saw The Phantom of the Opera 6 times in theatres...yeah...I also might see Pride and Prejudiced while I'm in Augusta. The Regal 20 has much better surround sound than the awful theatre we have in Aiken.
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

figment'smoose is offline E-Ticket Holder
    yup yup. having seen it on stage six times so far i have to say i was excited and nervous about the movie. but i loved it. (i too had a laughing person, but it was only one who laughed loudly enough to be at least four people) my first thought was how much more colourful it was. i mean on stage there's lots of colour but you could really see everything in the movie and everything just seemed more colourful.

GARain, my friends got to go see it at the preview as well last week. alas, if only i were still at school i would have been there. i'm jealous.

spaceshipclover and i will be there in st louis when it is onstage this spring if anyone else is going

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i saw the play and movie right after each other
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    I love Rent so much! I love Idina Menzel in it.
    Izzy

Was it my imagination.... or was Maureen's stage set with pieces from the original staged version of RENT?
    Disney Trips

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    This movie was fantastic, I liked it on stage much better because the music seems to be more powerful on stage, but the movie was really great. I am so extremely impressed with Rosario Dawson. I have never thought much of her at all but after this I am a big fan, she did an exceptional job.
    I've seen it 3 times already but I cheat because I work at the movie theatre, lol.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

Cameo is offline And the voila... you've got a Figment!
    Riding my tricycle around the parking lot
    Saw RENT this afternoon and fell in love. I've seen the stage version about 9 times now (I've lost exact count) and was a bit skeptical going in but had to see it. The first hour had me torn. Scenes went back and forth between "wow, that's a really cool way to show that" and "why, oh why, would you do that?". Long about the time La Vie Boheme came up I had decided it was all worth it though. And although I'm not a big crier, I tend to tear up during Angel's eulogies in the stage version. Well I must say I was all out bawling during the movie. It was all I could do to keep it quiet.

And how funny was it to hear the parts that are sung on stage spoken? I wonder if that was hard for the actors to switch how they present parts that they've done so often in a totally new way.
    ~Sarah~

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

"Tom Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

figment'smoose is offline E-Ticket Holder
    okay, so now that it's been a few days and i haven't been able to see it again (woo hoo for working retail thanksgiving weekend) there have been a few things that have started to bother me a bit more.

don't get me wrong, i still loved it. i can't not love anything associated with jonathan larson. (when i found out my parents dog has the same birthday as jonathan larson i tried to get them to change his name, it didn't work)

and i know i'm probably being picky but i thought maybe i could vent and find some understanding from some of you other rent lovers out there.

- angel's funeral. i love in the play how it hits you to the core the whole time and then even harder when they get thrown out. the movie made it seem almost so simple. it didn't have the poignancy.

- joanne's parents, i don't know that i need to say more.

- the fact that they didn't mention that april killed herself.

- and then a few certain lines that are some of my favorites ("honey are we a thing?" "we're everything" "joanne, which way to the stage?" "but no one's leaving they're just sitting there mooing") just for a few

on a few positives though,

- i loved santa fe on the subway. that made my heart smile.

- and i loved seeing aaron lohr again (gotta love seeing former disney movie stars in rent!)

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    I saw it, but I had to leave early so I didn't see the end, I think I saw more than half of it, and what I saw I loved!
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Interesting things that you point out there. I did miss the mooing line...hee hee.

I had to keep myself from crying when Angel passed....
    But I don't remember the April killing herself part - refresh my memory, it has been a couple of years since I saw the stage version.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

But I don't remember the April killing herself part - refresh my memory, it has been a couple of years since I saw the stage version.
    This line comes from Mark during that scene before he leaves Roger alone to sing "One Song Glory"

Mark- "Close on Roger. His girlfriend, April, left a note saying 'We've got AIDS' before slitting her wrists in the bathroom."
    Disney Trips