Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Discussions Discuss So, what's YOUR WDW story?? in the Community Center forums; Thanx so much for the stories - I'm just always curious who you are, and how Mickey Mouse got into your blood! :mickey:...
    Thanx so much for the stories - I'm just always curious who you are, and how Mickey Mouse got into your blood! :mickey:

ImagineerAtPlay is offline A-Ticket holder
    My mind is in WDW, the rest of me is here in Texas
    When I was a baby my parents would play Disney Lullabies for me (I believe this to be a keep part in my love for disney.) Since the time I was five I bothered by parents about going to Disney World, I think at least once a week. Finally, when I was eight my hopes were realized when we first went to WDW.
    Then when I was about eleven I found out about the Imagineers and decided that would be my career of choice. At that time I was a little low in self esteem, due to lack of oxygen to the brain or lack of Mickey Magic, and believed I was the least creative person to walk the earth. The next summer my Mom and I went to the Dinner with an Imagineer at WDW, with my Mom and met a super de - duper nice Imagineer, who has really mentored and helped me along the way with my dreams. Walt Disney World is a place of magic, happiness, and dreams. Through Disney Magic and WDW my dream is getting closer to a reality. Disney World and Disney in general will always have a place in my heart for reasons that human words can not do justice.
    Erica

drifter is offline A-Ticket holder
    When I was 5 or 6 my Dad used to buy me a comic every week called the "Donald and Mickey (or vice versa) and at Christmas, there was an annual. I showed him a picture of the 'teacups' ride at MK in front of the 'big castle' and asked him if we could go. He said it would cost too much. I can completely see his point - 5 in the family, living in Scotland.
    I loved Disney and the idea of WDW from then on. I started working for real in 1987 and was enlarging my bank account accordingly. A friend of mine and a work colleague were getting on in life and decided to treat ourselves to a two week holiday in USA.
    In that two weeks we covered Florida, L.A. Boston and New York.
    I was SO glad we did Florida first. When I say Florida I mean Disney.
    We were lucky in that we met up with another colleague of mine who was an annual pass holder who knew people IN WDW. He gave us great tips and do's and dont's.
    He treated us to dinner in the restaurent in Japan. Fantastic.
    We all went the following year. And then I went with my wife and friends, then went again with wife and kid, then went again with wife and kids (plural) and joy upon joy, will be going AGAIN in July 06.

I think we all need an injection of Magic and the only place to get it is WDW.

We were chatting about WDW this morning in the car. Can't wait.

Have a great Christmas and a Prosperous New Year everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by drifter
    I think we all need an injection of Magic and the only place to get it is WDW.
    I agree! When the opportunity arrises and I start making plans for the next trip - I'm flooded with past childhood memories that continue to give me renewed enthusiasm. I had one trip delayed a few weeks - talk about a total meltdown! I'm OK now, really - because I eventually got that "injection"!!

GrumpyDude is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    avoiding "The Man's" infractions. can't keep a brotha' down!
    i guess i've avoided posting my story because i didn't think it was much of a story, and didn't want the 'oh poor GD' garbage, since a lot of it is tied to my childhood and upbringing, which haunts me and i wish i could forget......

i grew up, even from a young age, watching Disney movies. my first memory was of watching Bambi with my mother's eldest child (i no longer consider either of them siblings for separate reasons). i remember when Bambi's mother was shot, my ex-sibling balling and crying, which today i attribute to being a total and complete mama's boy, but again, separate issue. i remember not being sad, which i guess was either because i didn't understand or the start of my sociopathic tendencies.

my parents divorced when i was very young, around 4 or 5 years old. i didn't know it at the time, but my father was determined to take all three of us, me and my ex-siblings. he knew that working as a contractor, with its up and down nature of having and not having jobs, coupled with a previous injury (he fell off a roof and had a concussion and couldn't work, which led to arguements between him and my mother, which was the start of the end.) he knew that he may be his only chance. so, he spent every last penny of his savings, and borrowed the remainder of the money from my grandparents and took us on a bus trip. not only was it the best vacation i had growing up, but looking back and seeing what my father did and sacrificed to get us there makes it mean much, much more.......

as for the rest of my life, the movies and Disneyana was an escape. i saw my father once a week, which he'd either be working and take us along, or be exhausted from working so much, and the rest of the time hearing how much of a bad person he was from my mother. one of the issues i still hold with my mother, we were raised with a very negative image of our father because of her lies and propoganda, again, separate issue. also, my relationship with my mother growing up wasn't the best either. i have issues with my eyes, which lead to a lot of doctors visits and special arrangements. they say one of the leading causes of child abuse is due to a child having a handicap and the stress it causes on the parent. i had heard far to often growing up 'why couldn't you be more like your brothers?'. so, i was raised in an abusive household (physically, mentally and emotionally) and my alternative was my father who i was always told was a bad man who cared about no one.

in all of this, Disney movies gave me hope. seeing the characters with their struggles, and how they'd prevail and everything would turn out alright. looking back, it was those movies that gave me strength and the drive to press forward. i saw that i could overcome the obstacles put in front of me, and i could have a better life. at the same time, it created fantasy worlds in my mind that i could escape to when things were bad.

today, i've come out of those years battered, bruised and scarred (mentally), and unfortunately forged this bitter and angry man. yet, i look back and know it could've been worse, and no matter what has happened, i have to keep pressing forward for something better. what soul and sanity i do have left, i owe to Disney.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I wanted to go to WDW from a early age, but money was always a factor. I many disney things such a Mickey Doll and the movies, but I didn't see WDW until I was adult. Even then it was a night. Since Gradnite 99, I have been hooked and read almost every book on disney.

Thanxs for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDude
    What soul and sanity i do have left, i owe to Disney.
    Every day, or rather multiple times a day, with my stressful job and life, I more and more find myself pausing and reflecting about past experiences at WDW and more specifically my next login at DWT.com - to see what my (our) community is up to!

May these continue to be "The Happiest Forums on Earth"!

PS. GD - your award-winning forum Dear GD continues to provide humor and daily laughter for me - keep it up!!
    Last edited by Rocketeer; 01-25-2006 at 11:53 AM.

mikesoccer40 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My story starts with my first trip in 1973 as a nine year old, but truely my story should begin with me taking my wife and children (3) back to WDW in the year 2000 and every year since then.........We are a military family so we move from place to place often and are very close because of it. We love Disney, because for those seven days nothing else exists outside the world of Walt. We just bury ourselves in all that is Mickey, never fighting, never thinking of my next deployment, never thinking of our next military move.....etc....etc. For those seven days we as a family of five suspend reality and just live purely in the moment of each other and Disney. It is for those moments and for the feeling we have when we are there together make me forever in WDW and Walt's debt.
    DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY....BABY!!

A COWARD DIES A THOUSAND DEATHS, BUT THE VALIANT TASTES OF DEATH BUT ONCE

:mickey: LONG LIVE THE MOUSE !!!

What a great story Mike, thanks for sharing with us! What an amazing gift for you and your family!

esigsby is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Last edited by esigsby; 02-14-2007 at 06:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12