Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss How young is too young? in the Community Center forums; No, this is not an internet dating service! I'm curious to know, as I sit here with my 10 week old daughter, from all you other parent-type DWT fans out ...

How young is too young?

No, this is not an internet dating service!

I'm curious to know, as I sit here with my 10 week old daughter, from all you other parent-type DWT fans out there, how young is too young to enjoy a trip to the World?? Taking into consideration strollers, distances, meals, exhaustion, and those thundering echos of fireworks through Tomorrowland - what's a good (safe?) age to visit??

In other words, when should I plan for my next trip - it's hard to get away, and scheduling vacation time take, well, extensive planning.

Last edited by Rocketeer; 12-14-2005 at 04:08 PM.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    I can't remember who it was, but i read hmmm let's see, nope can't remember which one of our mommies took her 5 and 8 month old. and she said she had a ball. When we go in June, my daughter will be just turning 3, we have a plan laid out. But, on the other hand, we took her to Busch Gardens over the summer and she did great. As long as you are capable of handling it, and don't do to much with her, she should be fine, and she will be DISNEY broken in, and ready to go back again and again.... So, start planning now, so that you can go maybe mayish or September, that way it won't be extremly hot for your little one. Oh, even I believe in June, before July may not be deadly hot yet.....
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    I'd say to wait until she's 9 months at least. There's more awake time for her and she's not as vulnerable to the heat and sun as she is right now. She'll probably be able to eat more 'grown-up' food by then so you can take her to the restaurants, plop her in a high chair, and just make sure the foods all cut up and stuff.
    Plus, you'll probably be a little more comfortable leaving her in one of the daycares for a little bit by that age.... ya know if you want some alone time.

Connor (the little guy in my avatar) is so much fun to take out now because he has fun too.
    Disney Trips
    May 1994- WDW (off property)
    May 1997- WDW (off property)
    March 2001- WDW (off property)
    May 2006- Disneyland (off property)
    September 2010- WDW (POFQ)
    October 2012 - Wedding and Honeymoon! - WDW (POR)

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Most pediatricians say no sunscreen before 6 months old, so that was the earliest we took our DS. Of course, it was more of a trip for us and his older sister than for him, but he did enjoy some of the sights and the interaction with other people. Heat and sun, as well as adjusting to changes in schedule, food, etc. should all be taken seriously.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    I may be the only one, but unless I had other children who would enjoy going, I would not take a baby to WDW.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Shere Kahn, You are not the only one. I agree with you. I would not take a baby either unless there was absolutely no other way. That being said I wouldn't stay home just because I had a baby either. I guess I'm trying to say, leave the baby with grandma or some other loving, trusted adult if at all possible.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    When I went last year, took my older kids (4 and 7 at the time) and left the baby at home that trip, and am glad I did. I would take my youngest when she was about 3 years old. I don't know that it would be much fun for parents, other sibs, or the child until that point. But each child is different, some kids can take more at a younger age, of course. And I think as long as you don't have crazy expectations "We are going to be there when the park opens, until the parks closes!" then it can be fun. But for me, for the money and time, I would wait until your little one was about 3.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    My brother first went when he was two. I was only about 6 or 7 months the first time I went and I don't think my parents had too much trouble, but I was also a good baby who never cried much. I just thought I would put that in, but you should listen to the advice of people who have taken their own kids to Disney World.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Ok well I think I top all of you. The first time I was to WDW was at 2 weeks!! We have pictures from the 15th anniversary party and I was being held by Mickey (when they were allowed to). As soon as I can get access to the boxes where these photos are I will attempt to post them. But yeah, first trip - one week; first gerber baby food - on main street; diapers - many in the park; now working and living the dream - priceless (hahaha I had to throw that in!!)
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Yes, i do agree with Sher khan, i wouldn't take a baby to disney. We were going to go this past summer, my daughter whom had just turned 2, and is a pretty shy child, and doesn't like nothing that moves other than another human of course. No dogs, cats, ants (who sees a ant), so we opted not to take her, she may be scared of the characters. But next year, it's on
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Okay I totally agree with Shere Khan and Minnie I would not take a newborn to Disney. Let just say I saw some very and I do mean very harassed and unhappy parnets down there last week and they did't strike me as having much fun with a baby in tow. I waited until my youngest was 6 and school age before we took her and her sister down. I personally feel that if you take a child that young he/she not going to remember and plus just think it you not the child who wants the picture of Mickey with them.Beside if you are a rider like me there quite a few rides that babies can't get on and I know they have kid swap but the whole point is you go down there to ride with whoever you are with not to get stuck holding the baby well the other person rides. Also think that loud noise may scare the baby and we got on quite few things like Honey I shrunk the Audience and when it got loud the baby started to cry and he seem louder than the show. Let just say the parnets never took the baby out and they got a lot and I do mean a lot of dirty looks from people and some pretty nasty comment thrown their way.But if you feel you want to take your child down it should be your choice and what you ar prepared to deal with.Also keep in mind the child not going to remember even if you show them the pictures. I feel they appreciated it much more at an older age and than they could enjoy it better. It just my opinion.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Thanx for all the input, gang. Melanie is now 11 weeks old, and I think she just said "Pooh!". Oh, no wait - that was me when I removed Mr. Pampers. My first trip was when I was 5 1/2, and I still have many fond memories of that visit - needless to say I was pretty overwhelmed. I'm not sure that I can wait over 5 years for Melanie's first memorable trip . Likely I'll have to work my next trip in to a business trip to Orlando, and then I'd likely be alone . Maybe timing will be more of a diaper/training thing - though public restrooms aren't my favorite place to hang out. Anyone have a secret / clean / out of the way restroom/changing station??

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    The one in the walkway building between Epcot's World Showcase and Future world is quiet, therefor rarely used, and seemed pretty clean. For kids, I bring lots of wipes and just wipe it clean if I have to!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer
    Maybe timing will be more of a diaper/training thing - though public restrooms aren't my favorite place to hang out. Anyone have a secret / clean / out of the way restroom/changing station??

The Baby Care Centers (one in each park) are wonderful!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    When it comes right down to it, it is going to be your decision on whether or not you take your child to Disneyworld as a baby or wait until they are older. You can ask us our opinion, but you know what they say... "Opinions are like buttholes, everybody has one and they all stink."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast