Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
General Discussions Discuss Learning to speak English with Rich (aka Trickster) in the Community Center forums; Originally Posted by trickster ....Yep - to play the gambling machines, you have to be aged over 16!!!!!! Yeah, that may be true but they are mostly played by 13 ...
    tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster
    ....Yep - to play the gambling machines, you have to be aged over 16!!!!!!

Yeah, that may be true but they are mostly played by 13 - 14 year olds who should be in school!!!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

^^ Well, that makes me feel better

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    ....Yep - to play the gambling machines, you have to be aged over 16!!!!!!
    So, can I play?

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    ... But of course you can!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Not really a language question - but have you been to Selby? About 20km S of York. It's my family's (at least family name) origin about 150 years ago.

Selby Trivia question - What does "Argent, two bars and in chief three mullets pierced, gules" refer to, and of what significane is it to American history???

Hey there, Craig!
    Selby is around 100 miles East of us. It is a place I haven't been, but sticks in my mind as there was a very bad train accident there a few years back. (A man in a 4x4 was on his cell phone, left the road and down the banking on to the tracks. His car was then hit by a freight train and a goods train. It was really bad).

Anyway, I am not quite sur what it means. The only thing I can come up with is: Is it some form of 'Coat of Arms'?......
    Rich

History Lesson, Everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    Anyway, I am not quite sur what it means. The only thing I can come up with is: Is it some form of 'Coat of Arms'?......
    Three red stars above two red bands on a white shield are the charges on the (George) Washington family coat of arms and the model for the American Flag: The Washington Window (in the Selby Abbey), containing the Heraldic arms of the Washington family, is to be found in the south clerestory window of the choir and is the original fourteenth century glass. When Glover the Herald visited Selby in 1584~5 he described the escutcheon as 'Argent, two bars and in chief three mullets pierced, gules'. The shield is white with two red bars across and three red mullets (spur-rowels) in chief each with a hole in the centre. This piercing is necessary to the true representation of the Washington mullets. At Great Brington in Northamptonshire, where the first President's ancestors formerly dwelt the Arms are also represented with pierced mullets, the colours being identical with Selby though the shield is much smaller.

In 1891 Harpers magazine showed two seals and a book-plate used by Washington which are virtually exact replicas of the Wessington family coat of arms.
    The Washington shield at Selby probably represents some kind of benefaction made to the Abbey to commemorate John Wessington, Prior of Durham (1416~1446) the most distinguished collateral ancestor of George Washington. John Wessington made important additions to Hemmingborough church which was a collegiate under Durham. Beneath the battlement of the tower at Hemmingborough is a succession of washing tubs or tuns ...... a rebus of the priors name. <<< INTERESTING

The Reverend Dr JS Littell in his book 'George Washington: Christian' says; 'The decorated choir of seven bays,--the knave has eight --is unsurpassed for loveliness, and Americans should be proud to know that the finest example of the Washington Arms has such a beautiful and appropriate setting'. The Washington Shield is thought to form the basis of the modern day American flag.

Now you know .

P.S. There's also an American flag in the main Sanctuary of the Abbey!

Cheers, Graig - Great Hstory Lesson.
    Rich

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    I rabbit on too much hehe

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

You know, my English must be getting better and you all must be understanding me more as this thread doesn't pop up as often now!!!
    Rich

Do you know - I never realised this thread had a '5 star' rating!!
    Rich

Walts_Girl is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Maybe I am just dumb or something but, Who is Sam Walter Foss? Just a random Question
    "We Have Created Characters And Animated Them In The Dimension Of Depth, Revealing Through Them To Our Perturbed World That The Things We Have In Common Far Outnumber And Outweigh Those That Divide Us."

-Walt Disney

Here:

Sam Walter Foss, June 19, 1858 - February 1926, 1911, was a full time librarian and poet whose most famous works included "The House by the Side of the Road" and "The Coming American."
    He was born in rural Candia, New Hampshire. Foss lost his mother at age four, worked on his father's farm and went to school in the winter. He graduated from Brown University in 1882, and would be considered illustrious enough to warrant having his name inscribed on the mace. Beginning in 1898, he served as librarian at the Somerville Public Library in Massachusetts. He married a minister's daughter, with whom he had a daughter and son. Foss used to write a poem a day for the newspapers, and his five volumes of collected poetry are of the frank and homely “common man” variety.
    Rich

Walts_Girl is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Thank You So Much! I was wondering because My sister took a picture of me in the Hall Of Presidents, ((at least i think that is where it was)) and on the wall was a quote,
    "Bring Me Men
    To Match My Mountains.
    Bring Me Men
    To Match My Plains.
    Men With Empires
    In Their Purpose.
    And New Eras
    In Their Brains."
    "We Have Created Characters And Animated Them In The Dimension Of Depth, Revealing Through Them To Our Perturbed World That The Things We Have In Common Far Outnumber And Outweigh Those That Divide Us."

-Walt Disney

... You're Welcome!!
    Rich

Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast