Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Remembering Space Shuttle Challenger 20 years later... in the Community Center forums; Do you remember where you were and what you were doing 20 years ago today when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded???? I was a Junior in High School and since ...

Unhappy Remembering Space Shuttle Challenger 20 years later...

Do you remember where you were and what you were doing 20 years ago today when the Space Shuttle Challenger exploded????

I was a Junior in High School and since my English teacher had applied to become the first teacher in space and had made it quite a ways in the interviewing and selection process we had a TV in the classroom that day to watch the launch live. It is a vision that I will never erase from my mind. I cannot believe that it was 20 years ago....it seems like yesterday. Thoughts and prayers go out to the families on this very difficult anniversary date.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    I don't remember exactly where I was - probably in school.

What I do remember though is seeing the vivid footage on the news after the event. Images like that always stick in your head / mind - however long after the tradgedy.

There have been some programs on the 'discovery and documentry' channels over here recently looking back at when Challenger exploded and examining what went wrong.
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

buzznut31 is offline Annual Passholder
    I was in 6th or 7th grade at the time of the tragedy. What I do remember is that when it happened, I was in the school's computer lab taking a class, and the lab was located next door to the cafeteria, which had a TV running. At the time, I heard a lot of loud gasps, and wondered what happened. When I got to lunch, I was able to see for myself, since the event was being shown constantly on the newscasts.

Boy, what a tragedy. I really feel for the families of the astronauts that passed at the time, that's for sure.
    Favorite Buzz Quotes: To Infinity and Beyond!!!!!
    Tell me I wasn't that deluded!!!

He's the Cutest, Handsomest character EVER!!!! :heart:

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I was in elementary at the time. I don't remember the initial explosion but I know we watched it in class.

Our teacher had gotten permission to have us (her class) plant shrubs in front of the school for an undying tribute to the astronauts' lives. The shrubs are now trees towering about 3 stories.

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    I was home from school that day I remeber watching it and wondering... then my dad came home for lunch saying "Turn on the news I think we just lost the Shuttle"", my mind just said omg thats what that was. Once I was old enough to drive until I moved out of FL I always had the Challanger Memorial plate for my car.
    Maggie

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    I remember a little bit but because I was only 5 when it happened all I remember is watching it on TV.

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    All I remember was the tasteless but funny jokes

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I watched it in school with my class-it was a long time before I really understood it, but I remember seeing the sadness on my teacher's faces, and my parents explaining it all to me at the time.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I was in my second quarter at the Art Institute of Pittsburgh--a class on color, i think. I had arrived at class early so learned about it from the other studentes that came in 15 minutes after. They gave the students and teachers the option of leaving for the day with no counts against absenses--of course we all did( a day off who wouldnt) but it was very sad and hard to believe that it was 20 yrs ago...my older one will be 21 this year so she was just a babe at the time.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Thanks for sharing your stories everyone....uh, even you Lori.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I just feel old. And sorry for the families.

tiggerguy is online now All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by dzney4lyf
    All I remember was the tasteless but funny jokes
    Yes, they were tasteless, but they helped all of us cope with the disaster.

When I heard about the Challenger, it was in the middle of a busy lunch rush ( I worked at a restaurant on a Navy Base), from that moment, business went to next to nothing in sales.

The first thing that came to my mind was a similar disaster that happened on 27 January 1967, the Apollo 1 capsule fire, where 3 astronauts perished. I was 10 & half years old .
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    Was a freshmen in high school home that day because i didn't have any regent's exams and watching the shuttle lift off because i like NASA

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    I was in grade 11 and just coming back from lunch, a bright sunny warm day - odd for January in Ontario. Anyway, just as I walked in the door of my drama class someone told me the shuttle exploded. I kind of laughed, but not to be cruel. First I thought it was a joke, then I just couldn't fathom the thought of something that big, made by NASA and (in my 16 year old mind) indestructable could explode. It was the first major tragedy I remember ever hearing about.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I remember I was in the 10th grade and I was in computer class and they came over the loud speaker and said that the Challenger had exploded. It was very scary to me and upsetting. My heart goes out to those family that lost there love ones on that day.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast