Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Coretta Scott King in the Community Center forums; Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.'s Widow, Dies POSTED: 7:27 am EST January 31, 2006 UPDATED: 7:50 am EST January 31, 2006 Civil rights leader Coretta Scott King, the ...
    PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...

Coretta Scott King

Coretta Scott King, Martin Luther King Jr.'s Widow, Dies

POSTED: 7:27 am EST January 31, 2006
    UPDATED: 7:50 am EST January 31, 2006

Civil rights leader Coretta Scott King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., has died, according to former Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young.

She was 78 years old and is survived by four children.

Young, who was a former civil rights activist and was close to the King family, broke the news during a phone call he made to the "Today" show.

Asked how he found out about her death, Young said: "I understand she was asleep last night and her daughter tried to wake her up."

Born and raised in Marion, Ala., Mrs. King married Martin Luther King, Jr. on June 18, 1953. They moved to Montgomery, Ala., in September 1954, where she assumed the many functions of a pastorís wife at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church.

During Dr. King's career, Mrs. King devoted most of her time to raising their four children: Yolanda Denise (1955), Martin Luther, III (1957), Dexter Scott (1961), and Bernice Albertine (1963). She balanced mothering and movement work, speaking before church, civic, college, fraternal and peace groups. She conceived and performed a series of favorably-reviewed Freedom Concerts.

In 1957, she and Dr. King journeyed to Ghana to mark that country's independence. In 1958, they spent a belated honeymoon in Mexico, where they observed first-hand the immense gulf between extreme wealth and extreme poverty.

In 1959, Dr. and Mrs. King spent nearly a month in India on a pilgrimage to disciples and sites associated with Mahatma Gandhi. And in 1964, she accompanied him to Oslo, Norway, where he received the Nobel Peace Prize.

Even prior to her husband's public stand against the Vietnam War in 1967, Mrs. King functioned as liaison to peace and justice organizations, and as mediator to public officials on behalf of the unheard.

Since her husband's assassination in 1968, Mrs. King has devoted much of her energy and attention to developing programs and building the Atlanta-based Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change as a living memorial to her husband's life and dream.

As founding President, Chair, and Chief Executive Officer, she dedicated herself to providing local, national and international programs that have trained tens of thousands of people in Dr. King's philosophy and methods.

In 1983, an act of Congress instituted the Martin Luther King, Jr. Federal Holiday Commission, which she chaired for its duration.

And in January 1986, Mrs. King oversaw the first legal holiday in honor of her husband -- a holiday which has come to be celebrated by millions of people world-wide and, in some form, in over 100 countries.

In 1995 she turned over leadership of the Center to her son, Dexter Scott King, who served as Chairman, President & CEO until January 2004.
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

I just saw this on the Today Show.....she was an amazing woman in her own right. RIP

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    RIP..she is back with her beloved husband now.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    I heard it on the radio and then found the story online and they talked about it on our morning annoucements this morning which was nice.
    ~Bobby Jack

Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    RIP..she is back with her beloved husband now.
    That's right Nicole!
    ~Bobby Jack

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    I heard this this morning, and they also said the same thing, that she is now with her beloved husband... A few of the radio stations were very somber this morning... She had the same affect as Rosa Parks, because she kept her husbands legacy going....
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Thanks for that article Bobby.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Thank you. Its kind of sad that she died.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Okay sorry Bobby didn't see your thread I started another one to her. But thanks for posting.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Quote Originally Posted by butlers
    Thanks for that article Bobby.
    Sure thing, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
    ~Bobby Jack

Quote Originally Posted by jarmitc2032
    Thank you. Its kind of sad that she died.
    Anytime. Yes it is, especially with Dr. King's birthday observation just passing and Black History month right around the corner.
    ~Bobby Jack

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIPRINCESS
    Okay sorry Bobby didn't see your thread I started another one to her. But thanks for posting.
    Yeah yeah yeah... I saw you started one hours after mine! And isn't it nice how many people have posted in your thread? Just kidding Jer!
    ~Bobby Jack

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81
    Yeah yeah yeah... I saw you started one hours after mine! And isn't it nice how many people have posted in your thread? Just kidding Jer!
    I noticed that too P. J

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81

Yeah but did you see how nuts it got. The one time I try to be serious and we all just go nuts

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Quote Originally Posted by JEDIPRINCESS
    Yeah but did you see how nuts it got. The one time I try to be serious and we all just go nuts
    It just got a little nuts... You can be serious!
    Last edited by PumpkinJack81; 01-31-2006 at 02:16 PM.
    ~Bobby Jack