Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Well that's a novel idea... in the Community Center forums; Oh, and I mean that thread title literally. I have novel idea. Rather... an idea for a novel. And I think it's fairly good, too! Some of you may know ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Well that's a novel idea...

Oh, and I mean that thread title literally. I have novel idea. Rather... an idea for a novel. And I think it's fairly good, too!

Some of you may know me well enough by now to know that I've got a bit of a creative side to me, and I love to write. I usually write short stories and poems, because I can complete them in anywhere from a few minutes to a couple hours, start to finish, as the ideas come to me. That makes them great for a student with a busy schedule and often crazy lifestyle.

Well, in the last week I've had a professor come to me with one of my homework assignements i'd recently turned in (it was supposed to be a "short essay" - most students turned in a paragraph or a page... I turned in 4 pages. Over-writing is a typical thing for me...) telling me that i write well enough that i should look into maybe trying to turn my talent into a bit of $$ on the side by writing articles for magazines and that kind of thing. I told my mom about it and she thinks my persuing a part-time writing thing on the side would be good for me, both financially and career wise. And my girlfriend, who loves my writing style in essays and short stories, thinks that I should try to write a novel.

Now, I've given the novel thing plenty of thought in the past. I've even started a few. But I always start them of like I do with my short stories... from the beginning, with the intent of just making up the bulk of it as I go, following a very, very basic pre-planned idea in my head of where I wanted to go with it. And I always end up hitting my first roadblock along the way, getting frustrated, and giving up.

But then yesterday morning, I woke up with a couple of ideas for characters in my head. I even had an idea of the kind of setting I wanted to put them in. But I didn't have a plot for them yet. So I sat down and started creating a sort of summary for myself of where I wanted this story to go using these characters and this setting. The next thing you know, I had a really cool idea (or at least... I think it is anyway), for what i think can be a very powerful and suspense-filled story. And it's definitely got enough of a plot to be easily long enough to be of novel length. Now the only catch is... I still have to write it.

Here's a real barebones summary of what I've got going right now. A preview, so to speak. The actual summary I have written for myself is over 2 pages in length, and that's just to outline the main plot as it evolves.

Todd grew up in a small, rural town nestled in the base of the mountains. He spent half of his childhood practically living in the woods behind his home with his two closest friends, playing and hanging out at their top secret fort, CastleWood, hidden deep, deep in the woods, and known only to the three of them. Life is good for the three friends, until one day when a tragic accident leaves their trio suddenly numbering only two.

Now ten years later, Todd is revisiting his hometown once more, this time to say a sentimental goodbye to his first house, which he had just recieved word had burned to the ground, and also pay tribute to the new residents who had been killed in the blaze. But when the fire investigation turns from accidental causes to arson and premeditation, Todd suddenly finds that he himself seems to be the only one in town unable to procure an alibi, and strangely enough, plausible witnesses who have always been there for him in the past, are now putting him in town just days before the fire.

Facing imminent arrest and conviction for a crime he knows he didn't commit, Todd goes into hiding, right back into the very woods in which he grew up. He knows that he's safer there than anywhere else. He can go back to CastleWood, to stay there, in hiding, for as long as it takes for the police to catch the real killer, or at least until they realize they have pinned the wrong man.

But something else is happening that Todd didn't anticipate. There's someone else in the woods with him, and it's not the police. Someone who seems to be following him, stalking him. Faced with this, Todd realizes that the real maniac responsible for setting fire to his old home and killing those four people, is right here in the woods with him. But of course, this shouldn't really be a problem, should it? He's confident that he knows these woods better than any man alive. But as both the woods and the chase grow thicker, Todd begins to consider another chilling possibility: What if whoeever was following him... isn't really alive at all?

That's all I want to give away for now, just in case I do actually end up going through with finishing the book. (Heck first I've got to get started with it... all I have now is a summary and chapter 1!) I'm a bit concerned as to how long this project might take to complete, and whether or not I should even bother attempting it, or if it will just join my growing pile of abandoned projects. I've got school and stuff to deal with now, and then full time work 5-6 days a week over the summer break. I don't have much time to write. My biggest motivation for continuing right now is the fact that the story is so fresh in my head. I'm just afraid that, like my last attempts, the first roadblock i come to will find me getting frustrated, short on new ideas, and ready to throw in the towel on what could possibly be my best story idea yet. I don't want to give it up. But I just have enough failed attempts in recent years to make me more than a bit pessimistic about my hopes of ever completing this.

Anyway, sorry for the excessively long post just so I could whine at you (I told you I tend to write too much!). I just needed to vent this. But much thanks to anyone who actually reads it.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Wow, Don, that sounds like a truly thrilling novel. I hope you do write it and someday we can say "I knew you when..."
    Remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step..... A job begun is half done..... Imagineers have drawers full of unfinished projects, great ideas and not-so-great-ideas-that-might-be-great when the right time comes along. Just because you put a story aside doesn't mean it isn't worth looking at again in a week, a month, a year, a decade. Go for it!

Good luck!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

karamie is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'd read it. I'd say that you should just try and write it, and if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out.

Karamie

Hmmmm....Don, from your short and to the point posts, I would have never drempt that you like to write! Sorry, couldn't resist!!! To quote from CoP "man has a dream and that's the start...he follows his dream in mind and heart and when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me!" Best of luck with your endeavor!!!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Okay first just wanted to say "GO FOR IT MAN".... I too have wanted to start a novel, well actually have started one, but have never finished it.. i just may one day..... But i say do it, and you will definitely have some of your DWT family going to BUY YOUR FIRST BOOK....

Secondly -

How could you do that to me, just end it like that.... oh so many questions for ya, i bet it's oh yeah seems like a likely canidate if you ask me

GREAT
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    heya,,,Go for it. You definatly have a passion for writing and I thot I was longwinded in my posts...J/K. You will make a great writer, you have a flair for catching at least my attention in your descriptions of what you have done while visiting the parks. Your novel looks as tho it is off to a good start now finish it so we can see what happens...lol

GOOD LUCK or should I say Break a Pencil (not sure of proper one for a writer so I adapted the theater one***shrug..lol)
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I know I'm already hooked, so go ahead and finish the story before I have to come choke it out of you! Seriously, I'm on tenterhooks. I hope you plan on doing the flashback thing so we know what happened to the friend. Sharpen those pencils, boy, you have work to do!
    They call me "Nana"

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    Great reading!

In the future, these stepping stones might become valuable to you, so don't share them till they're on paperback/hard cover... God forbid you see your own story on someone elses cover.
    Last edited by Tampa; 02-28-2006 at 12:23 PM.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Hi there-I say go for it, and it doesn't matter how long it takes. I love Steven King's non-fiction book about the craft of writing, called "On Writing". I recommend it for inspiration.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Wow...Thanks for all the support guys! I just posted this because I was excited about my idea and needed to vent a little of that somewhere.

melissa - you've gone and done it. I've been whistling "great big beautiful tomrrow" ALL DAY!!!

Tampa - Yeah, the thought crossed my mind, which is why I only posted an abridged, "teaser" version of the summary I've been pounding out... just enough to kind of judge people's reactions, but not enough to give away my whole plot. Believe you me... I've got some ideas that could make this book a lot of fun, assuming I can of course get around to getting them all on paper...er... monitor in this case. Not to mention that by me putting the idea out there for you guys to see, it keeps me motivated to work on it. Now I have people to complete this for, and I'm not just doing it for myself anymore. (I don't know... it makes sense in my head anyway).

But thanks again for all this support! I'll keep plugging away at it in the little free time I have, and I'll let you know when it looks like I'm actually making some legitimate forward progress.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 03-01-2006 at 09:27 AM.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...