Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss "Adopt" overseas military personnel in the Community Center forums; Hi All, I just wanted to post this quick link here. I was at this org. website a few months ago and decided to sign up. They are http://www.adoptaplatoon.org . ...
    Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder

"Adopt" overseas military personnel

Hi All,

I just wanted to post this quick link here. I was at this org. website a few months ago and decided to sign up. They are http://www.adoptaplatoon.org. What they do is pair you up with an overseas soldier, airman, sailor etc. There is no cost to sign up. All you do is either sign up as a pen pal or actually adopt a soldier. In the case of the pen pal just send some letters every so often. It's a big deal to get something during mail call when you are deployed. If you sign up to adopt, all you do is just send a care package once a month to your soldier. If you decide to do it, after you sign up someone from the org will call you. I guess they try to get a feel for you. If everything sounds good, they will email you the name and address of the soldier and you can start your correspondence. These guys and girls aren't asking for alot. I send mine things like magazines, powdered Gatorade, Advil, sunscreen. You know little things we take for granted.

It just occured to me to post this here for you guys. I was just thinking about WDW and it popped in to my head that my soldier had once wrote to me he had never been there. I just felt like spreading the word about this or any other similar org. These people are putting their lives on the line for us. This just gives us a vehicle to say thanks. Also I don't mean this as a forum to support the war or not. Honestly I could care less what anyones opinion is of the war. This is to support an honest to goodness American who is far away from family and friends, and if we can provide a little bit of home to them then that's a good thing.

I'll get off my soapbox now. This is just something I feel strongly about and thought a lot of you out there would feel the same. If anyone has any questions on it, drop me a line.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    so what do you all think about this?..has anyone else done it? can you email letters to them also?
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Personally I have had a great time with it. It nice to be able to help someone. As far as the email some have it some don't. It all depends where they are stationed. My soldier has email, but from what I have seen a lot of them prefer actual letters. Feels more warm than an email I guess. Let me know if there are anymore questions.

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Our friend Wesley deployed yesterday to Korea. We'll be doing this for him, he is really happy to have contact form home. What our soldiers do everyday for us is boyond my comprehension and I am so grateful for it....
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    If you can find it in your heart to do this, you will be rockin' with all due hardness.

(Speaking from experience, mail is a huge deal when you're down-range. Pathetic, but I actually once wrote to the address on the side of the Tabasco bottles for correspondence some years back.........)
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides