Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Locals in Orlando area? in the Community Center forums; Anyone local? We're thinking of moving down there and would like some honest opinions. We've looked at homes in Oviedo and Clermont, and while a lot depends on where I ...
    akur is offline 82 miles to WDW!

Locals in Orlando area?

Anyone local? We're thinking of moving down there and would like some honest opinions. We've looked at homes in Oviedo and Clermont, and while a lot depends on where I get a job, I'd like to start forming opinions other than driving around with a realtor. TIA!!!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ana The Librarian

MomtoMandJ in the box

Mouseman is offline B-Ticket Holder
    If you move down here you will love it. I would recommend going to www.orlandosentinel.com if you haven't already. They have a lot of good info,maps what not, so you could start getting an idea of the area. If you need more info like neighboorhood specifics, drop me a line and I'll see what I can do for you.

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    Clermont is really nice. One of the few places in Florida where you will find hills. There are still a lot of nice areas around Orlando. I personally like Windermere a lot.

akur is offline 82 miles to WDW!

Thanks

to both of you....

I'm a little familiar with the area, as I lived in Kissimmee for a bit, for this was in 1992 and it's changed a lot since.

Like I said, we saw homes we liked in Oviedo and Clermont. I applied to jobs in both, but wouldn't want to commute from one to the other, so I guess we have to wait.

Are there any areas we should stay away from? (crime, touristy, crowded)
    I read in the Sentinel that Oviedo mall is losing a lot of business and they may build lots of new homes nearby. We're trying to avoid very crowded places (it's bad enough here!).

I check the Sentinel often for job and home leads. We were looking into Lakeland at some point, since my mom lives outside of Tampa, but I don't think there are enough jobs there for me.

Hey, Sara, my SIL lives in Boynton Beach.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Ana The Librarian

MomtoMandJ in the box

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    Boynton Beach sure is an exciting place. I miss Orlando and I'm sure someday I'll get to move back. I lived in the Hunter's Creek area and an area that I'm not sure what it is called but it was basically right next to Epcot it was fabulous because I could see Wishes and Illuminations at night.

Anyways though I didn't explore too much out of the immediate Disney area. I had friends who lived in Windermere, Ocoee, Davenport, Clermont, and Winter Garden ( I think there were so many winter towns there I can't be sure). All were very nice places. They were all pretty quiet places, a little removed from all the tourist craziness but still close.

The only places I know to avoid are basically Kissimmee, Anything near OBT (Orange Blossom Trail), and portions of the Colonial area weren't great either.

Hope this helps some. Happy hunting...