Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Dana Reeve passed away last night at the age of 44 in the Community Center forums; I was heart broken when I heard this news this morning. What a phenomenal woman. My thoughts and prayers go out to their Son, Will.....I cannot even imagine being 13 ...

Dana Reeve passed away last night at the age of 44

I was heart broken when I heard this news this morning. What a phenomenal woman. My thoughts and prayers go out to their Son, Will.....I cannot even imagine being 13 years old and losing both of your parents within 2 years of each other. God Bless him....

Christopher Reeve's Widow Dies at Age 44

By JIM FITZGERALD, Associated Press Writer

Christopher Reeve and his wife Dana Reeve arrive at ...

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - Dana Reeve, who won worldwide admiration for her devotion to her "Superman" husband, Christopher Reeve, through his decade of near-total paralysis, has died of lung cancer at the age of 44.

Reeve, a singer-actress who gave up some of her own career to be one of the nation's best-known caregivers, died late Monday at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Center, said Kathy Lewis, president of the Christopher Reeve Foundation.

Reeve had succeeded her husband as chair of the foundation, which funded research into spinal-cord paralysis cures. She announced in August that, while she wasn't a smoker, she had been diagnosed with lung cancer.

Lewis visited Reeve in the hospital Friday and said Reeve was "tired but with her typical sense of humor and smile, always trying to make other people feel good, her characteristic personality."

"She was a woman with an incredible heart who really put herself out there to help people with disabilities and especially those who are caregivers _ something she knew a lot about," Lewis said.

Four months ago, at a fundraising gala for the foundation, Reeve looked healthy in a long, formal gown and said she was responding well to treatment and her tumor was shrinking.

"I'm beating the odds and defying every statistic the doctors can throw at me," Reeve said then. "My prognosis looks better all the time."

Asked how she kept her spirits up, Reeve said she "had a great model."

"I was married to a man who never gave up," she said.

Christopher Reeve, star of Hollywood's "Superman" movies, became an activist for spinal cord research after a horse-riding accident paralyzed him in 1995. He died Oct. 10, 2004.

Dana Reeve was a constant companion and supporter of her husband during his long ordeal and his work for a cure for spinal cord injuries.

The couple had a 13-year-old son, Will, and Dana Reeve had two grown stepchildren, Matthew and Alexandra.

Reeve, who lived in Pound Ridge, had appeared on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages and on the TV shows "Law & Order," "Oz," and "All My Children."

She was on the board of the Williamstown Theatre Festival in Massachusetts, where she met Christopher Reeve doing summer theater, and the Shakespeare Theatre of New Jersey.

A year ago, she won a Mother of the Year award from the American Cancer Society. A society vice president, Dr. Michael Thun, said Reeve "has shown strength and courage in the face of tremendous adversity." Doctors say 1 in 5 women diagnosed with the disease never lit a cigarette.

In addition to her son and step-children, she is survived by her father, Dr. Charles Morosini, and sisters Deborah Morosini and Adrienne Morosini Heilman.

No funeral plans were announced. The family said donations could be made in Dana Reeve's memory to the Christopher Reeve Foundation in Short Hills, N.J.

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    wow.

First Don Knotts, then Kirby Puckett, now Dana Reeve.

not a good 2 weeks.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I read this this morning. I did feel for the son. That has to be rough.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I couldn't even imagine what this woman has gone through - the strength she had with her husband and her family and then her own illness.

The world has lost a great woman, and I am sad.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    So sad...my prayers are with her family...
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    thats really sad
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Oh my goodness! Poor boy. I wish I could do more. It's moments like these where you can't help but feel like you could do something.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    Such a sad story, and another big loss to the "famed" world... My thoughts and prayers go out to the family, especially to young Will.
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!