Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Art Class with Mr. Bobby in the Community Center forums; OK, I just found this lesson on a website and thought it would be fun to try out. I did something completely different with my 7th graders yesterday, but this ...
    PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    OK, I just found this lesson on a website and thought it would be fun to try out. I did something completely different with my 7th graders yesterday, but this way all of you can see the lesson plan, as well as examples. If anyone tries it out please let me know how you liked it and post a pic if possible. I may try this out with my students next week. Check out the link at the bottom to see more of her students' work.

Submitted by Kelli Wilkie, Crete Middle School
    Lesson: Symmetrical Non-Objective Painting

Materials: 12" x 18" white paper

12" x 18" newsprint
    markers or pens
    Tempera paint, brushes

An idea that the students always love is a symmetrical painting using tempera. Cut the 12 x 18 sheets of newsprint into strips 6" x 18" and have the students create a design on them. (Combine curved line with straight line/geometric shapes). My students are required to show me 3 before they can choose the best one. Trace the design with marker or pen, then turn over the strip of paper and trace again (you can usually see the lines through the newsprint). Place the strip under 1/2 of the full sheet of white paper and trace the design. Then flip the strip of newsprint like a page in a book and trace on the other 1/2 of the white paper so the design is symmetrical.

Once the design is on the paper, my students paint the symmetrical design but they have to mix every color they use. They cannot use pure color out of the bottle. They love the results! And many ooooh and aaaaah over the colors they create. Use color to create a center of interest.

I do these with my 7th graders but could easily be adapted to other grade levels. See more examples on my website: manila.esu6.org/kelliw - click on 7th grade gallery, then symmetrical paintings.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    That is so lovely!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    Bobby... What a wonderful site!

Maybe you can set something like that up next year.

The different exercises and techniques mediums are a wonderful way for the students to explore art. Too often children feel that they must make something look almost like a photograph of thier subject, which can be very disheartening.

The work done here allows them to find the artist within themselves.

I am one who finds beauty, art and value in the smallest things in life as in the "Under the microscope" section. You can find interest and artistic value in the smallest thing.

Artistic expression begins with paying attention to life and a keen observation.

Thanks for sharing.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe

The different exercises and techniques mediums are a wonderful way for the students to explore art. Too often children feel that they must make something look almost like a photograph of thier subject, which can be very disheartening.

I am one who finds beauty, art and value in the smallest things in life as in the "Under the microscope" section. You can find interest and artistic value in the smallest thing.

Artistic expression begins with paying attention to life and a keen observation.

Thanks for sharing.
    Folks, I think we have a class brown-noser.

Just kidding MBabe, going back to my own Middle School days... I actually agree completely-art provides so much with artistic expression, and beyond, to education.
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Teacher's Pet!!!!!

Just Kidding---

I see beauty in literature so I understand seeing beauty in different things. THis is a fun thread but I like being a disruptive one since I better not be in reality.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    I think we have three brown noser teacher pets here... causing all kinds of rukus (is that right snow), but that is why i just love this site, YOU CAN BE SILLY, it's okay... So moving on along to the pic

Mr. Bobby Sir, can you please do mine for me, seeing that i was way late for class

ahh man i think somebody got sick in the back of the class sir
    Last edited by butlers; 04-21-2006 at 11:31 AM.
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    That is so lovely!
    I'm glad you enjoyed it

Maybe you can set something like that up next year.

Thanks for sharing.
    I'd love to do something like this with my elementary kids. I like lessons like this that allow the student to, as you put it, "find the artist within themselves."

When I showed a few of my own paintings to my 7th graders yesterday they asked "Do we need to do it like yours?" To which I told them certainly not, to think of their own idea or mood or subject and create whatever they wanted others to see and feel when they looked at it.

Like you and Gae, I too find beauty in many different places and ways. One thing I got into during my senior year in high school and then into college was black and white photography of cemetaries. I loved going to different cemetaries, especially the older ones and taking pictures of the tombstones and trees. I found so many beautiful angles and shapes. Most people thought it was odd, especially my mother who was "worried" about me (you'd have to know her to understand - she's never quite gotten my artistic-ness ). But as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder right?

Thanks for the thoughts MBabe and keep 'em coming! I appreciate student input!

Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove
    Folks, I think we have a class brown-noser.

Just kidding MBabe, going back to my own Middle School days... I actually agree completely-art provides so much with artistic expression, and beyond, to education.
    "Now now, no name calling Nicole."

Yes! I love these thoughts! Art has always been important to me and I'm so glad many of you feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs
    This is a fun thread but I like being a disruptive one since I better not be in reality.
    I'm glad you're having fun!

Quote Originally Posted by butlers

Mr. Bobby Sir, can you please do mine for me, seeing that i was way late for class

ahh man i think somebody got sick in the back of the class sir
    "No, I'm not going to do your work for you. You'll have time to finish. And um, thank you for telling me that someone got sick. I'll get the janitor here right away."

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    I like B&W photography too. I have always loved to work in pen & ink. I feel that a strong sense of what to look for in B&W helps one compose in color more easily. Both in photography and in art.

Thanks for havin' my back teach!
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

I like B&W photography too. I have always loved to work in pen & ink. I feel that a strong sense of what to look for in B&W helps one compose in color more easily. Both in photography and in art.

Thanks for havin' my back teach!
    There is certainly a lot you can do with black and white and photography is lots of fun.

"Anytime MBabe."
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81
    There is certainly a lot you can do with black and white and photography is lots of fun.

"Anytime MBabe."
    ooh ooh ooh, pick me, pick me, i love taking black and white photos, i took a photography class, and i can even show the class how to use the dark room properly, but you should really watch out for the warmer, it's a little hot... Good Morning Mr. Bobby
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Quote Originally Posted by butlers
    ooh ooh ooh, pick me, pick me, i love taking black and white photos, i took a photography class, and i can even show the class how to use the dark room properly, but you should really watch out for the warmer, it's a little hot... Good Morning Mr. Bobby
    "Good morning! I don't think we'll be able to do any photography this school year, but perhaps next year. If we do I'll be sure to use you as my special helper Debbie. It's good that you have experience."
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast