Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Poison ivy help! Hurry!! in the Community Center forums; Silly me - playing with the chain saw 2 days ago. I must have hit some poison ivy branches or roots and sprayed my arm. Luckily just one arm, no ...

Poison ivy help! Hurry!!

Silly me - playing with the chain saw 2 days ago. I must have hit some poison ivy branches or roots and sprayed my arm. Luckily just one arm, no face or anywhere else. But still semi-debilitating and yes, itchy!

Curious if anyone has a favorite relief recipe or medication? And Hurry!!!

PS. I keep watching the blisters for a hidden Mickey or the like - but no luck yet...

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    that looks more like poison oak try the corn starch thing...helps dry it up and stops the itch

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Check with your pharmacy, I think they have an over the counter product that they keep behind the counter so you have to ask. Never had it myself but I think it is called Ivy Block. If not you Dr might give you some steroids to help it.
    Maggie

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Walgreens sells something called Zanfel. it is a wash and that will help and for something to take away the pain during the day buy Ivy-Dry. Also, the corn starch thing...it sounds good. Furthermore (i promise this is the last thing) get some Benedryl (preferably extra strength but the pink works ok) and take one or two before you go to bed. it may cause drowsiness. Hope it gets better.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    My dr gave me a steroid shot, which helped the itch and rash spread....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

jiminycricket is offline A-Ticket holder
    My husband is just getting rid of poison ivy. You have to be really careful that you don't let it spread. He started out with it on both forearms but it spread to his upper arm because when he bent his arm the rash hit his upper arm. There is a product called Ivarest that he has been using every day for the itch and to dry it out. It's over the counter and also I bought him another product that you use in the shower. I don't remember the name of it but it's a scrub. I bought it in Target, but CVS pharmacy also has one, so I'm pretty sure all the chain pharmacys would have it. Good Luck!!

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    THOT THIS WAS INTERESTING CONSIDERING...maybe it will help clear up some fears and rumors

Fast Facts
    Urushiol Oil is Potent
    *Only 1 nanogram (billionth of a gram) needed to cause rash
    *Average is 100 nanograms for most people
    *1/4 ounce of urushiol is all that is needed to cause a rash in every person on earth
    *500 people could itch from the amount covering the head of a pin
    *Specimens of urushiol several centuries old have found to cause dermatitis in sensitive people.
    *1 to 5 years is normal for urushiol oil to stay active on any surface including dead plants
    *Derived from urushi, Japanese name for lacquer
    *When the Japanese restored the gold leaf on the golden Temple in Kyoto, they painted the urushiol lacquer on it to preserve and maintain the gold. Guess you could say that you would be caught red handed if you stole it.

Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac
    *Most common allergy in the country claiming half the population
    *Sensitivity to urushiol can develop at any time
    *Solutions or cures are those that annihilate urushiol
    *Everyone appears to react slightly different to all the remedies.
    *Covered by workers compensation in some states (CA, for example)
    *First published records of poison ivy in North America date back to 1600s
    *Poison Ivy coined by Captain John Smith in 1609
    *Western Poison Oak discovered by David Douglas (1799-1834) on Vancouver Island. Douglas fir also named after him.
    *People will serious deficiency in cellular (T-cell) immunity such as AIDS patients may not have problems with dermatitis.

Myths vs. Facts
    Myth / Fact
    *Poison Ivy rash is contagious. / Rubbing the rashes won't spread poison ivy to other parts of your body (or to another person). You spread the rash only if urushiol oil -- the sticky, resinlike substance that causes the rash -- has been left on your hands.
    *You can catch poison ivy simply by being near the plants / Direct contact is needed to release urusiol oil. Stay away from forest fires, direct burning, or anything else that can cause the oil to become airborne such as a lawnmower, trimmer, etc.
    *Leaves of three, let them be /Poison sumac has 7 to 13 leaves on a branch, although poison ivy and oak have 3 leaves per cluster.
    *Do not worry about dead plants /Urushiol oil stays active on any surface, including dead plants, for up to 5 years.
    *Breaking the blisters releases urushiol oil that can spread /Not true. But your wounds can become infected and you may make the scarring worse. In very extreme cases, excessive fluid may need to be withdrawn by a doctor.
    *I've been in poison ivy many times and never broken out. I'm immune. / Not necessarily true. Upwards of 90% of people are allergic to urushiol oil, it's a matter of time and exposure. The more times you are exposed to urushiol, the more likely it is that you will break out with an allergic rash. For the first time sufferer, it generally takes longer for the rash to show up - generally in 7 to 10 days.

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Since I am highly allergic to Poison Ivy.. I can help..
    *Steroid pills always work for me, but they probably only give that to you if you are allergic to Poison Ivy.
    * Oatmeal baths are great. they sell a mixutre thing in almost every pharmacy.
    * And while you are at the pharmacy there is this stuff called IvyRest. This stuff works!! Not only does it make me stop scratching it also helps cool it. It kinda feels like Blistex if you have ever used that on your lips..

But that is what really helps me. And trust me I have had this stuff bad. Calomine lotion does nothing for me anymore! hehehe Hope you get better soon!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    When I get it I run bawling to the doctor and get the shot in the butt. That is the only thing that makes it better for me.

The next time you are out playing with the chainsaw remember:

Leaflets three, let it be!
    They call me "Nana"

Hey Craig, I've never had poison ivy so I will not be much help. Just wanted to say...nice photo!

Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland
    Totally forgot about the Aveno oatmeal Bath...yeah that should help too. thaks chip for reminding me.
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

zcook9 is offline Not close enough to the magic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer
    Silly me - playing with the chain saw 2 days ago. I must have hit some poison ivy branches or roots and sprayed my arm. Luckily just one arm, no face or anywhere else. But still semi-debilitating and yes, itchy!

Curious if anyone has a favorite relief recipe or medication? And Hurry!!!

PS. I keep watching the blisters for a hidden Mickey or the like - but no luck yet...
    STAY OUT IF THE POISON IVY!

About the hidden Mickey's... you know you are a Disney fanatic when...
    Laura
    DISNEY SCRAPPER

Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    Mythbusters proved just last week that vodka poured on the rash does NOT get rid of it ( a myth that is apparently somewhat common, ::shrug:: Sounds fun though...lol
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

Hey - thanks everyone for sound advice, personal experiences, and shared pain (except for Melissa). Like one of the comments above - everyone reacts differently. Mine came to a head in 48 hours. Last night I lanced some of the largest blisters to see if those would heal or be less itchy than others (yes, I have a strong background in research!). And aside from oozing, I didn't notice much difference.

I did go out and buy some Calamine lotion w/ Pramoxine (a short acting topical "anesthetic"), and after a fourth cleansing and Calamining of my arm today, it is actually comfortable!

I also had to get back on that horse - and finish the tree removal project. It was partly blocking the driveway. Luckily it wasn't too hot of a day today, though sunny. Put long sleeves on, and a Gortex raincoat because I could tighten the cuffs, around new gloves, and face shield. Now that I was looking for it - there were several beefy looking hairy vines, with numerous branches or runners coming off. I'm sure I cut dozens of them when this all started (no leaves on the vines...yet). Then I threw everything in the washer, grabbed my bar of Fels Naphtha laundry soap [better at oils, etc than standard soap] and scrubbed just for good luck. And more calamine...

Please stay tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketeer
    Hey - thanks everyone for sound advice, personal experiences, and shared pain (except for Melissa).

Hey! I was feeling your pain! I was having sympathy arm itching all afternoon! I really do hope you are feeling better!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast