Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss New York Mets in the Community Center forums; Mets' new stadium reminiscent of Ebbets FieldAssociated Press NEW YORK -- New York Mets officials stirred up the past on Thursday when they unveiled a stadium design reminiscent of Ebbets ...
    Mike2006 is offline B-Ticket Holder

New York Mets

Mets' new stadium reminiscent of Ebbets FieldAssociated Press

NEW YORK -- New York Mets officials stirred up the past on Thursday when they unveiled a stadium design reminiscent of Ebbets Field, the storied home of the Brooklyn Dodgers.

One day after the City Council approved several key aspects of an $800 million stadium for the Yankees, Gov. George Pataki, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Mets owner Fred Wilpon announced plans at Shea Stadium for a new Mets home to be built in the parking lot of the existing ballpark.

Wilpon, a Brooklyn native, has long desired a new home for his team that evokes memories of the glory days of the Dodgers, who moved to Los Angeles in 1958. Eight years ago, Wilpon unveiled a design for an Ebbets Field-type ballpark for the Mets, but it wasn't until last summer that city officials and the team agreed on a plan to replace Shea Stadium.

"This is a historic and rather emotional occasion," Wilpon said as he recalled visiting Ebbets Field with his father as a young boy. He said predicted the new facility would be a "world class ballpark that, through its unique design, links the past and the future."

Although the planned stadium still requires regulatory approval, Mets officials hope to put their team on a new field by 2009 -- the same year the Yankees expect to be playing in a new home in the Bronx.

The new ballpark in Queens will have a capacity of 45,000, down from the current 57,333. The seats will be a little wider and provide more leg room. Also, there will be more luxury suites, rest rooms and restaurants.

The Mets are paying $550 million for the stadium and the city is expected to kick in $90 million in capital funds, officials said. The state will provide $75 million for infrastructure improvements around the stadium.

LadyDooley is offline A Wishing Apple?
    Wow!!!

All I can say now is that I feel the Stadium Should be in Brooklyn..... But since I know they can't do that... Brooklyn has missed the Dodgers ever Since they left. Some men here in Brooklyn are still in morning!!

This new field will be a good thing! My tax dollars at work!

Loves First Kiss!

Dumbogal is offline Sarcasm - Just another free service I offer..
    Well, being from Queens - that area of town sure needs some sort of a lift!!! With the Arthur Ashe Tennis Stadium being right next door - Shea has been looking pretty shabby lately in comparison...

I look forward to sitting in the new stadium in a few years!!!

That goes for the new Yankee Staduim as well, although I still think that the existing Yankee Staduim has too much history to be replaced... I have mixed emotions on the Yankee Stadium re-build...
    Dizpinfriend on VMK

Once she was a lowly housemaid dressed in rags. Now she's got a fairy godmother, she's filthy rich, and she lives in a palace with her dreamboat husband.......It's further proof, that the right shoes CAN change your life!

My own low-tech version of Push!!!