Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Learning tp Speak French with Sarah in the Community Center forums; Hey, a little bit of Twang ain't a bad thang!!! LOL, I should know. I've had people at WDW ask me to say "Y'all"! Alrighty...a quick pronunciation course. When saying ...
    Princess Sarah is offline Fastpass Holder
    Hey, a little bit of Twang ain't a bad thang!!! LOL, I should know. I've had people at WDW ask me to say "Y'all"!
    Alrighty...a quick pronunciation course. When saying "Tu", which is the singular and/or informal form of "You", don't say it like "to". Think of more like a sneeze' "Ah-CHOO" Choo, but with a slight t-ish sound. "Qu'est que"-completely forget the "q" sound. think of what "Keh" would sound like if it were a word!!!
    You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore.
    -Randy Pausch

University of South Carolina '11
    We hail thee, Carolina...

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    don't know how accurate this will be but...
    i used a translator fo it!!

Salut Sarah! Comment allez-vous ? Cela un fil assez net! Je n'aime pas d'espagnol trop mais j'aime ce fil alot mieux.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewhit89
    don't know how accurate this will be but...
    i used a translator fo it!!

Salut Sarah! Comment allez-vous ? Cela un fil assez net! Je n'aime pas d'espagnol trop mais j'aime ce fil alot mieux.
    This is what it should say: Salut Sarah! Comment allez-vous? Ceci est une discussion assez intéressante! Je naime pas beaucoup l'espagnol mais j'aime bien celle-ci.

Sounds like: Salee Sarah! Com-muh allay voo? Suh-ssy eh eene deess-kee-ssee-oh assay huh-tay-ray-sa-tuh! Juh nay-muh pa bo-koo l'espagnol, meh, jay-muh bee-heh sell-see. (read out loud)

Translation: Hi Sarah! How are you? This thread is really neat! I don't like the Spanish one very much but I like this one a lot better.

Found this which will help explain certain sounds:

"Pronouncing nasal vowels can be a little tricky for Americans since they don't really have any a n a l ogous sounds in any English words. However, we do occasionally use nasal vowel sounds. Most commonly, this can be seen in the colloquially response to something not understood:

Speaker 1: [mumble, mumble, mumble]
    Speaker 2: "Huh?" The sound of the "u" in "huh" is usually nasalized by American speakers of English and corresponds to the French "u" sound. Variations on this colloquial sound: "Hanh?" "Heh?" resemble the French "ã" and "i" sounds."

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    I clicked on this thread because I hope to go to Paris next summer. My French is very limited. I want to be able to understand it, but living in the South, (close to Sarah) I have a southern accent - not very strong, but strong enough to make it hard to speak other languages. I can do accents pretty good though. Vivez l'espirit!
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

My accent isn't too atrong, but when I go places outside of SC, it's VERY noticeable, but not like Kelly Pickler! (No offense, AI and kelly fans-it's not my cup of tea, haha) If you're going to Paris, Hillary-PLEASE take me!!! Anyway, a general question you may want to know is:
    Ou est???... meaning Where is...(The Louvre, La Tour Eiffel, etc.) The "Ou" is pronounced like when you are amazed or something-oooo!!!! and "est" is prounounced like the s and t isn't even there- like "ay"
    -Randy Pausch

mickey n minnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Sarah
    Ca va is pretty much asking "How are you/things?" You would reply "Ca va bien, merci".
    Well, couldnt you respond with je vais ____?
    Because Ca va is "how are things going" so you would say "I'm going ___"??
    I took French last year, so I don't remember a lot, so I may be wrong.

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirates life for me

**sings** I have a jar of dirt! I have a jar of dirt!

"Elizabeth?.....Hide the rum!"

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mickey n minnie
    Well, couldnt you respond with je vais ____?
    Because Ca va is "how are things going" so you would say "I'm going ___"??
    I took French last year, so I don't remember a lot, so I may be wrong.
    You can respond either with:

Je vais bien, merci, or Ca va bien, merci.

Both are acceptable, it's like saying, things are going well or I'm doing well.

Ok, thanks.
    Accord, merci.

I miss French. I have to take Russian now, which is a lot more confusing.

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mickey n minnie
    Ok, thanks.
    Accord, merci.

I miss French. I have to take Russian now, which is a lot more confusing.
    Bienvenue (bee-a-veh-nee), You're welcome.

The proper way to say it would be "d'accord" (dak-car), you were pretty close!

I tried. =]

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

My goal in life, if nothing else, is to speak 5 languages. I'm like a sponge for language-I LOVE it! Seeing The Da Vinci Code and reading it was fun, esp, seeing it, b/c I would look away from the subtitles and try and see how much I could pick out. I was actually quite surprised at how mouch I got. Mais maintenant, j'ai faim. (But now, I am hungry), je dois manger (I have to go eat)
    -Randy Pausch

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Have you tried this one, Sarah? Thanks to DVDs, we can now watch and read our favorite flicks in different languages; French being pretty standard. Just take a movie you know front and back, and give it your undivided attention (or not--just keep the volume up as you go about household duties). Since you already know the dialouge in English, see if you can keep up with the subtitles in French (sort of a speed-reading/gisting drill). Basically, by hearing a script you already know pretty well, you're learning a new language the same way you learned English.

(It does pay to have something of a background in the language on this one first--my efforts to improve my Mandarin by using the option in Mulan didn't go over so well.)

I do watch movies in French on occassion, especially when we learn something new in class, I'll put in a DVD and listen for it. It's really fun.
    French sentence- Je vais nager (Je vay najay, sort of)-I'm going swimming.
    -Randy Pausch

I've tried watching things in French, or even just having the French subtitles on the bottom while the atcual dialogue is in English. I dont think it really helps..Oh well.

Join the WDW Fan Club!!!

If you can listen closely enough, alot of the subtitles don't match what is being said. That's actually an excersise we do once in a while in class-Mme Soyars finds examples and types what's on the cerartain things she wants us to listen for, and we have to write what is being said. It's somethingt we do ony a few times a year as a treat, but in order to watch a movie, according to school policy, it has to serve a purpose. Finding Nemo and POTC were two of the ones this year...brought in by moi! The EAC part where they were going quckly was a hard one to do. J'ai soif (I'm thirsty)- jay swof
    -Randy Pausch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast