Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Memorial Day Kudos in the Community Center forums; In Rememberence of all of our fallen heros, Military and civilian who gave their lives for our country. We appreciate your sacrifice and will not forget you. Side note: Over ...
    vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me

Memorial Day Kudos

In Rememberence of all of our fallen heros, Military and civilian who gave their lives for our country. We appreciate your sacrifice and will not forget you.

Side note: Over the weekend I had the opportunity to visit the temporary memorial site of Flight 93 that went down in Shanksville, Pa on September 11. It was very moving. We were there at 10am on a Sunday and there were approximately 30 people already there.
    There is a small building with an attendant and guest book to sign. When visiting you are up on the hill above the actual contact site but as they expand and get funding they will have a walkway down closer. The parking area is enclosed by the metal rail fencing you see along highways and is JUST FILLED with stickers, ribbon magnets, and short notes from visitors. I wish we would have known to bring a permanant marker to sign it also. They have a very large fence-like board set up to leave momentos. I saw one from almost every state and some other countries. Organizations and individuals have contributed memorial stones that surround the visitor area. You see momentos absolutley everywhere around the site, everything from a small coin to license plates to hats to shirts to items made specifically for the memorial. What is most amazing is that not one person disturbs anything that is left. Kinds restores your faith in the human race that they will show respect like that.
    We took loads of pics. As soon as I finish the roll and get them developed I will post so y'all can see too.

We also made a stop in Johnstown, Pa and visited the National Park there that is a memorial to the Johnstown Flood of 1889. In memorium to those individuals even back then who sacrificed themselves to help others.
    Last edited by vixen101485; 05-29-2006 at 06:49 PM.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    I want to echo Vix' sentiments.

For our non-U.S. citizens, please indulge me just a bit. Today is a very important day for us, and for me personally. I so often feel as though our Veterans are not treated with the respect and thanks they deserve, so I'm going to be sure I do it today. I want to thank everyone who has sacrificed so much for our nation and its people.

That sacrifice may mean time spent away from home, going overseas, and often times, the supreme sacrifice for us all.

While today is often spent out of work, enjoying picnics and cookouts with family and friends, please realize that much of what we enjoy today is due in large part to those who mad selfless sacrifices for us.

If you are a veteran. I want to stand up, shake your hand, and say thanks. If you know a Vet, a famkily member of a fallen soldier, or just see one on the street, take just a few seconds to say thank you. It will go a long way, believe me.

To those family members of DisneyWorldTrivia.com who are currently serving stateside or overseas, our thoughts and prayers are wiht you today and always. To any veterans who call our community "home", we all salute you and give our heartfelt thanks.

Happy Memorial Day, and God Bless America.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    While today is often spent out of work, enjoying picnics and cookouts with family and friends, please realize that much of what we enjoy today is due in large part to those who mad selfless sacrifices for us.
    Not all of us have the day off either, but we still remeber those who put their lives on the line every day.
    Thank you to all the armed forces for protecting our country.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Although I am a day late, I wish to express my gratitude to all the members of our armed forces, past, present and future.
    I went to my grandfather's grave yesterday to place a flag in his flower holder. He was in WWII. I should have given extra hugs to my dad as he was in the navy during the Vietnam "conflict" (special communications something or other). He isn't the huggy type though.

Memorial day is spent having fun with the family, and you know, that is what our soldiers have fought and gained for us -that freedom. So, from the bottom of my heart - thank you.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!