Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss What do you tip??? in the Community Center forums; Who and what do you tip while at WDW ?? We all tip for food service but generally how much? It seems more and more people are going over the ...
    GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

What & Who do you tip???

Who and what do you tip while at WDW ?? We all tip for food service but generally how much? It seems more and more people are going over the 20% mark. If you are on the DDP, I understand that there is a 18% gratuity charge (I pretty sure that's what I read) but then I also read people tip on top of that! Is that the general rule ?? Do you tip mousekeeping and if so, how much? If you are staying at a Deluxe, do you tip the person who loads your luggage onto the cart or just the person who delivers the luggage to the room, or both?? Who elso do you tip?? When you see all the tip jars at local stores near the cash registars do you tend to leave your change in the tip jar or not? Just curious
    Last edited by GIOny; 07-27-2006 at 02:07 PM.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Does anybody tip???

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    I tip. Mousekeeping, I usually give $1 a day for every person in the room, BUT I leave an envelope every day; your maid service may change throughout the week. As for luggage/ bell hops, I've heard you should tip $1 for every bag they carry to your room. I've only had to do this on business trips. Food: I've worked as a server & a bartender (so has my DH) so we always tip at least 20% unless it's just awful service- at Disney or away from Disney. That's just our personal preference. 18% is a good tip. If you feel like your server did a better job than most, you can always leave an extra $1 or $2. Hope that helps out some.
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    I second everything Summer just said...
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    I third it (if that's possible hehe)

Quote Originally Posted by PinkTink918
    I third it (if that's possible hehe)
    Anything is possible! What aboout the luggage? I know when we travel we usually have alot of small bags in addition to our suitcases (we drive), I know they usually say $1.00-$2.00 a bag, would you consider each of those small bags as an individual bag??

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    If it is a bag that you could carry on your own or stack on another one, ie: makeup bag, I would not consider that another bag.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    This time, I concur
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

mechurchlady is offline My hero is Gurgi who wanted only friends and an apple.
    In the back seat of life or in front of a computer in California.
    I agree with the above except about table service.

I use 15% minimum and 5$ per person minimum. I was home yesterday eating food from a restaurant and I tipped the people $5 on $22 and all I ate there was tea and salad, took the rest home.

50% in rare but has happened. If staff spends lots of time entertaining your kids, special orders food, helps disabled guests, puts up with annoying people like me, or does stuff that a spouse or parent would not do then tip big. It does not matter if you are on vacation or not. The table servers also have to be nice to cooks and tip bus boys usually so they may not get much in the end.

How many people will bring mustard, run back for ketchup, run back for sauce, run back for more napkins and then repeat at another table? It is very hard work being a waitress. There is busy work to do, clean tables, answer questions, and deal with people who often treat people badly. I tip big because I get treated well. If they have an attitude problem then I tip way less and have done that but not for a long time.

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    We generally can't afford to eat in any restaurant at Disney.... but we usually try to be able to splurge and buy some popcorn, or a popsicle. Those are not the kinds of things to tip for (I don't think?? Goodness I'm so embarrassed if they are things most people tip for and I have never tipped!) We ate at the Castle once, a couple years ago, and we would have tipped, and it would have been probably 20%.