Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Camera question in the Community Center forums; I am needing to buy a new digital camera and I don't have a clue what to look for. Does anyone have any advice to someone who doesn't know what ...
    SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Camera question

I am needing to buy a new digital camera and I don't have a clue what to look for. Does anyone have any advice to someone who doesn't know what to look for?

I know this question is out there somewhere but I couldn't find it.

turkeymama is offline Christmas Shopping Rules!
    My hubby is a wiz with such things. He picked out a Cannon for me. It has 5 megapixels (everyone says that is important). I also have the little screen on the back, and it rotates and folds over so it doesn't get scratched. That is definately a must for me. Also, the screen helps me center my subject in the frame (I am normally quite challenged with pic taking.) Anyway, it worked great for my last Disney trip. That's all the matters, right?
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    Walt Disney

tiggerguy is offline one of the good guys
    Here is a good site that has info on lots of cameras:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/

Yes it is very confusing trying to pick out a digital camera.
    Are you looking for a "point & shoot" (camera does the work) or
    Do you want to be an "artist" (you do the focusing and set shots up)

The site I mentioned has reviews for both styles of cameras
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    It depends. I have a great little camera, that I love, that I picked up off of the internet for less than $100. It even has games on it that I can play while standing in line (like Tetris--is that addictive or what?). Melissa, on the other hand has an absolutely FABULOUS camera that she paid mighty dollars for, but it takes AMAZING pictures (or maybe she is just a better photographer than I am). I tend to be the point and shoot kind of person. It wouldn't do me any good to have all of her fancy gadgets and gizmos, because I could never figure out how to work them.

I think this is what I want

I think I want something that is easy to use but takes good pictures. I dont' know how many pixels I would want or anything like that. Does anybody have any suggestions on that one?

I don't know how much memory I would like either. Suggestions?

I guess I want to know what other people have, if they like them, would they buy it again or not and does it take good pictures.
    If anyone can help, it would be appreciated. I want good Disney trip pictures. (oh, and good ones of my kids of course! lol)

Brian, I looked at the website and got more confused. Once I know what I need to look for- it will be a great place to go back too.

Last edited by SnwhtNdwrfs; 09-02-2006 at 02:41 PM. Reason: I had more questions to ask

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I use an HP photosmart 620, 2.1 Mega Pixels. It has the screen on the back and a zoom, it's a little bulky, wish it was a little smaller. The picture quality looks fine to me and it's super easy to use. Wasn't so expensive either. I got a card for it, I can fit about 135 pictures on it.

Melissa's camera takes awesome photos, so clear, might look into getting one like that when it's time to upgrade.

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    i usea kodak easyshare CD33 and it is 3 mega pixels
    and it has 3 x zoom

but i am looking to buy a new camera because o f my pic taking

to buy cameras check out
    www.uniquephoto.com
    and
    www.jr.com

what you see on the computer screen is what you pay
    but you do have to remmeber shipping
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

LadyDooley is offline A Wishing Apple?
    My husband is a Photographer and he told me to buy a Cannon... They are the best for digital point and shoots.

I personally fancy the Elph! And he said not to get it under 5mp. Bigger is not always better!!

I would make sure you see test shots from the camera so you know what you are getting!

These are the things he recomends!

Good Luck

Loves First Kiss!

flutter is offline Moderator
    ah, I just bought the one Brian had for sale

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Mine has 6 megapixels and a 4X zoom. I have a SD card, which you will probably have to get no matter which camera you buy, so memory isn't really an issue. I have 1G which will hold over 1000 pictures.

whitewatersf is offline A-Ticket holder
    no matter what type of camera you get, buy the largest memory card you can afford. Good place for good priced memory cards is http://www.tigerdirect.com

stitch625 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Hey Gae,

If you like any of Lindsay's pictures in her gallery, I can tell you most of them were taken with my camera that I just got last Christmas. It's a Canon PowerShot with 4.0 Mega Pixels and a 4x zoom lens.

I'm not a camera savvy person but I can tell you I can use it and some pretty decent pictures with it (lol, even Linds was impressed with a few of mine). It's pretty much point and click with me. I can tell you that in Disney, the "action" feature was used A LOT...with and without flash which is easy to turn off and on in at a moments notice.

It's a great little camera that's small enough to fit in my pocket. It's my first digital camera and I don't think I could have asked for a better camera! Oh yeah, and it takes cute pictures of kids too. Don't know if that helps, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in! Hope you find what you need!

AnnF is offline D-Ticket Holder
    canons are great bf has the powershot AS700 and loves it, i took it to disney on my last trip and it's easy to use. i have a powershot S1 but getting ready to sell it and my extra lenses because it's just too much camera for me.

~Ann
    My Blog
    Join Disney Swaps
    1991-offsite; 1995-Ft.Wilderness; 1998-offsite; 2001-Grosvenor; 06/2001-offsite; 12/01-offsite; 12/02 offsite; 06/03 offsite;12/03 offsite; 12/05-ASMu; 8/06 Pop;*Upcoming 12/06 Pop;03/07 offsite*

Thank you everyone! I needed some suggestions as to what to look for and you all helped. Now I just have to go shopping for them. And find the money to buy one! lol