Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
General Discussions Discuss 9/11 - Five Years On. in the Community Center forums; From somebody across the pond, I just wanted to start this thread as a tribute to all those people who lost their lives 5years ago. I cannot believe how time ...
    trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!

9/11 - Five Years On.

From somebody across the pond, I just wanted to start this thread as a tribute to all those people who lost their lives 5years ago.

I cannot believe how time flies. Even so, my and are with you all and those families who lost loved ones.

I'm sure there are many members of our family here who have a story to tell or lost someone: either friend or family on 9/11 in 2001.
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

9/11 in 2001:

I remember working in the ticket office at Lancaster Railway Station (UK). It was a little after 2pm UK time.

News travels fast and we soon heard that 'A plane had crashed into the WTC'. Of hearing this, we thought it was a terrible accident.

Then the news came through of a plane crashing into the second tower. Immeadiately, even here, we knew something terrible was happening. With being a Team Leader in the office at the time, I went into the store room and got out the portable tv we used with a video for training purposes.

The tv was turned on and we tuned it into any channel we could find. It didn't take long to find a channel - already the major channels had stopped their schedualled programs for 'News Flash' bullet-ins.
    Rich

Where were you on that fateful day in 2001?

How did you heard the news?......
    Rich

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    At work at Mcdonald's restaurant. My older DD lived right outside DC with her dad at that time. I was the store activity director (kinda between the peons and the management and a bit of a liason for both) One of the managers a step above me was upset that her BF was on the road in KY at the time and was taking it out on everyone, in particular one very nice gentleman who was mopping the floor. SHe was being very witchy un-necessarily about which direction he was actually mopping in(back and forth as opposed to front to back -or something like that) Anyway I felt bad for the guy and said something to the effect that he is doing fine lay off. She started snapping at me and I whiplashed right back at her "Listen I know you are worried about Brucie(*yeah what a name) But he is in KY and I really dont think they plan on targeting his truck in particular, But I have a daughter who goes to school just a few miles from the pentagon and I am not taking out my frustrations of being worried about her out on everyone here. If anything I(capitol letter) am the one who should have something to worry about and not YOU!" Shut her right up, and I think the rest of the crew wanted to applaud me at that moment....LOL

Side note...MY DD was fine and already was home due the school being closed (I didnt know it till about 2AM the next day--phone service was impossible) Her stepmom actually got shrappnale from the impact thrown up against her office windows over a block or so away.

We had the opportunity to visit the Flight 93 site in PA recently...VERY MOVING I will try to get the pics developed today sometime and post them so y'all can see. Remind me if you see me on early AM.

THOTS GO OUT TO THE SURVIVORS AND FAMILY OF THOSE AFFECTED BY THAT HORRIBLE DAY!

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I was sitting in a webmastering class when the teacher came in and said "A small jet has just crashed into the White House." We thought it was weird but didn't care much. That's all we heard until after class. After class we saw a bunch of people in the halls crying and hugging. I was really confused. I went to my next class and they had the TVs on the news. That's when I found out everything that was going on. My dad was out of town at the time and I was really concerned. It took about a week just for my dad to get home because of all the problems with flying. I'll never forget any of the details from that day. It was horrific.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    We had just moved back to MD from NY city. I was watching Good Morning America when the first reports came in. I called my best friend in VA and as we talked, I watched the second plane crash into the tower. It looked not much different than watching King Kong attack the Empire State building, except for the fact that THIS WAS FOR REAL!

The office where I used to work is about 8 blocks from the Twin Towers. I used to walk to the Twin Towers sometimes if my regular subway train wasn't working. Thoughts of "I've been there" and my former coworkers ARE there had me concerned. When the plane went into the Pentagon, I went into panic mode. My husband had a meeting in DC that morning. He hadn't said where he was headed, but the Pentagon was one of the places he often had to go.

Calls started coming in from my daughter and other family members. My daughter knew her father was headed to DC that morning. I had nothing to tell them because I couldn't reach my husband. I did not hear from him till 2:00 p.m. that day. He was stopped from getting to his meeting. The plane had gone down before he'd actually reached his destination at a different building and all government buildings were being evacuated.

I eventually heard from my former coworkers. They had all escaped harm, but it took them 12 hours or more to get home. Fighting through the blackness that enveloped the office building to try to make their way to New Jersey was an ordeal they and their families will never forget.

Had we still been in NY, my husband would have been in the 3rd building that collapsed. He had a meeting there at 9:00 a.m. each Tuesday. I would have been on Wall Street. We were safe. The people that we met and worked with in NY escaped.

The airline stewardess that we met in February of 2002 wasn't as fortunate. She had friends and coworkers on the planes that went down. She and her flight crew were stranded in the city in which their plane was forced to land. With no flights allowed to take off it would be nearly a week before she could get home.

I have visited the block where the Twin Towers used to stand. I felt as empty inside as the area at which I was looking.

God bless the families who lost so much that day.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

I was at home actually watching the Today Show as it happened. I will never in my life forget watching that second plane fly into the WTC live on TV. Parker was only 14 months old at the time this happened and I just remember scooping him up into my arms and hugging him as hard as I could. Jim had left very early that morning because he had to be in Toronto, Canada which is normally about a 4 1/2 hour drive from here. He reached his company's office that he was going to a little after 10:30 and as soon as he walked in they told him what had happened. Of course he thought it was a very cruel joke and didn't believe them at first when he realized it was for real he got right back into his vehicle and headed back home. He didn't get home until 9 PM that night. It took over 5 hours just to get across the Blue Water Bridge in Port Huron. I couldn't tell you how happy I was when he walked through the door safe and sound.

I lost a friend that day. I used to work with a young man by the name of Brock Safronoff. On 9/11 Brock was working for Marsh & McLennan in Tower 1 on the 96th floor. Brock was such a great guy and had just married his college sweetheart a little over a month before this dreadful attack.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who's life was changed in anyway that day.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    *** Thanks for the thread Rich ***

I work at Customs and Border Protection. 25 minutes from the white house and capital, 15 from the Pentagon. I worked in the Production Control Center at the time. As we listened to the morning news on the radio, the announcer came on and said a plane had just hit the world trade center. All the commanders were going into attack mode. As they normally do, whenever anything fatal happens, no matter where in the world. Just as they did with the Oklahoma bombing, the bombing of the world trade center, the first time, etc...etc... A few of us, including myself went down to the helpdesk center, where they have big television screens with the major news channels broadcasted 24 hours a day. As we watched the events unfold, we all were like OMG, another plane is coming towards the towers. Right before my eyes, i saw the towers collapse. U.S. Marshalls, Customs Agents, were running throughout the building heading to DC. That's when we realized this was not an accident. I had a close friend that was at the Pentagon that day when the plane hit the building. Were the plane hit, was her office. Just so happens she was in a meeting on the other side of the building.

In August of 2005 we were in NY, the hotel we stayed at was right next to the hollow spaces that once stood the buildings. It was very eerie and very empty feeling.

prayers and thoughts goes out to all of those devastated, lost a loved one, lost a friend, that dreadful day....
    Last edited by butlers; 09-11-2006 at 08:33 AM.
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

Great thoughts and stories everyone. I just thought it would be our little way of remembering those who suffered and those who lost loved ones.
    Rich

#1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.
    I was sitting at my desk, when it came across our loud speakers, that our base was being sent home. It was on all our TV's throughtout the base. We were told to proceed with caution and to go straight home. I work for the Defense Center in Pa. It was pretty scary cause no body knew where they were going to hit next. And we later found out that, they were going to use 12 planes and crash them all over, at the government bases throughtout the US. Even today, sitting at my same desk, and thinking of all those people, it is heartbreaking. I was alittle scared to come back to work.
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski
    I was at home getting ready for work when my husband called me and told me to turn on the TV to CNN and watch the news. He works for Customs & Border Protection on the Mexican Border. They temporarily closed the bridge ( only for a an hour or so). He wanted his Kevlar vest and to get the kids out of school. I told him I would bring his vest, but I would stay at home and watch the news. It was the highest threat level at the port so it was pretty scary. Machine Guns were placed at the bridge for the next week, but thank god the attacks stop. We did not no anyone from any of the attacks but have been to the Twin Towers and the Pentagon before the attacks.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of those affected by 9/11.
    Love Disney. I hope to go next spring with the whole family.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I was in my room at the All Star Sports, packing up our stuff since we were checking out that morning after having spent 10 days at the World. My sister was on her way to the Orlando airport and my mom and a friend were actually on their flight home. (We all had different flights to go home that day).

We just happened to turn on CNN on the TV and saw the live image of the tower with smoke coming out of it, they were not sure at the time what had happened exactly. We just sat there and watched, trying to understand. As we were watching the live coverage we saw the second plane hit. It was surreal, it just doesn't register in your mind. Is this real? Did I just see a plane hit the tower?

Then panic set in after hearing there were more planes that had been hijacked, which flights were they? What flight was my mom on? Lots of telephone calls were made trying to track down that info. We kept watching until it was time to check out of the room. We then bumped into my sister at the front desk, she had just returned from the airport that was now closed, we were very happy to see each other. We booked another room for the night since we had nowhere to go (lucked out there). Later we found out that our mom's flight landed in NC. When it all happened, her plane was in the air, she had no idea what was going on until other passengers with cell phones started mentioning what had happened, can't imagine what it must have felt like to hear that when actually on a plane.

They closed the parks that morning, the resort was packed, CMs tried their best to keep everyone entertained. I was so surprised to see the pool area full of people, laughing, having a good time, I just thought "don't they realize what's going on?"

We watched the news all day, finally found out exactly where my mom was through other family members. I forget which airport she was stranded at, they were busing people to shelters but she refused to go, she was staying put. Next morning we figured that we should rent a car since we had no idea how long the airports would be closed. Got a rental that would fit all of us (lucked out on that one, big time) and drove to NC in hopes to find my mom and friend there. Got there hours later and the police officers at the gate told us they had evacuated the airport but we were free to go have a look inside to see if we can find them. Thankfully they were there. Lots of hugging and kissing ensued. They had no clue we were coming to pick them up. We all got in the car, and drove straight home to Toronto, stopping for a bite to eat once in a while. We were expecting a long wait at the border or to not be able to get across with the rental car but thankfully we had no wait and no problems whatsoever.

We try to keep the events of 9/11 separate from that WDW trip but it's difficult. I'll never forget that day.

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    9/11 Memory

I have to preface my story with the following:
    I have never found myself able to write down what I experienced that day. I’ve either wanted to put it off, or found it too painful to do. I’ve decided to force myself to do this on the fifth anniversary of that day, because I don’t ever want to forget. I’m sorry it’s so verbose, but I want to make sure I recount everything.

September 11, 2001 started out like any other day. I was a sophomore in high school, and I still was remembering the great Yankee win I saw in New York two days earlier, on Sunday, September 9. I looked at my ticket stub that I had tacked on my wall on my way out of my bedroom and smiled. It was a crisp, beautiful morning with skies that went on forever, past the rolling hills of my small town. There was hardly a cloud in the sky. The time was coming for the leaves to change and pumpkins to be carved. I couldn’t wait!

I got to school and settled into my first period class: American Studies. (It needs to be explained that I went to school at a middle-high school, a building where students from grade 6-12 attend, but are different schools, only sharing a library, gym, and cafeteria.) Since we were still in the early stages of the class, we were discussing “patriotic songs” that morning, part of the topic “what makes us American?” As we would later find out, we were listening to “America the Beautiful” by Ray Charles, at the EXACT moment that the first tower was hit. It was painful yet comforting that that song was played a myriad of times in the following days.

At the end of class, about 9:10, my principal came in and pulled my teacher out of the room. I thought someone was in trouble or something. She came back in the room, acting as if nothing happened, so I figured it was none of my business. After that class, I was in Biology. The principal came over the loudspeaker saying he had a special announcement that had to be made. He said that two planes had hit the World Trade Center in New York City, and that we were under attack. We sat in stunned silence in our little town, 86 miles northeast of the WTC in a rural section of Connecticut. Many of my friends have parents that make the regular commute to the city daily to work. My first thought was of my friends and who had parents working there. Thankfully, none of them did.

Needless to say, not much was accomplished that morning, both due to our inability to concentrate, and our teachers shock (along with ours). My friends and I were craving information, a newsfeed, SOMETHING. The principals at our school decided that since there were children as young as 11 attending our school, they could not handle seeing images or hearing radio reports, so televisions and radios were banned. We had no way of getting information, as the library went on lock down to prevent access to computers.

At lunch, our principal had set up a PA system. We all sat in silence waiting, hoping, for any updated information. He announced that a plane had hit the White House, the Pentagon was in flames, and basically half of New York City was gone. This sent a panic throughout my school, as everyone started freaking out, because EVERYONE knew someone who worked in Lower Manhattan. To make matters worse, Mr. Horrigan put the school on lockdown, prohibiting ANYONE from coming or leaving the school, saying it was in our own best interest. I could not believe that he would prevent me from being with my family, and my family later would say the same thing.

The rest of the day was spent doing really nothing except stewing over the (as we would find out later) misconstrued information. I found myself put at ease when I heard Katie Couric and Matt Lauer’s voices on NBC radio that my photography teacher had set up in his classroom, which was my last class of the day. Mr. Horrigan had found out that he had a radio in the classroom, and came in to take it away. Mr. Holst told him “Excuse me, sir, but my SISTER works in Manhattan and I’ll be G-D D---ED if you will take this radio away from me. Go ahead and fire me! You’ll see me in court!! These students are all mature enough to hear the news. Look at them. You’ve misled them on what actually happened. You should be ashamed of yourself!!”

I knew at that moment that Osama was to blame. No one believes me, except for those who heard me say it when I did, but I said to my friends in Photo “I bet Osama Bin Laden did this.”

I also knew my life would never be the same.

When my mom picked me up at the bus stop, mile away from my house, she just held me. We cried. She had already lowered our flag to half-staff and that is when I really lost it. I just cried.

We had the television on, and I told my mom what our principal had told us what happened. Let me just say, hers was not the only angry phone call that man received.

My dad, a firefighter in Danbury, about 50 miles away from New York City, came home with tears streaming down his face. He had friends in FDNY who no doubt were involved. His main concern was his friend Chris Blackwell, who always seemed to be involved in the big things. A few years before, he had been photographed and on the cover of a magazine (Time or Life I believe) helping a victim of a plane accident in La Guardia Airport (I think..it was one of the NYC airports).

The next day, we found out that Chris and the rest of RESCUE 3 had died in a collapse of the tower. My dad and some of his co-firemen from DFD went down to do what they could. Basically, they were doing recovery, and helping out wherever they could.

I have never been so proud to be the daughter of a firefighter. It seems that finally, people realize the true guts these men and women possess. They don’t care if their own life is at risk, they will go up the stairs when everyone else is rushing down. They’ll keep going. They’ll keep going.

I have not been to Ground Zero, nor do I intend on going. Part of me wants to pay my respect, but part of me, my heart, can’t bear to see it. The last time I was there was the Summer of 2001, and we had a great time seeing the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and going to WTC. The last time I was there, so were the towers. So were the 2,000+ men and women, moms and dads, aunts and uncles, friends. Chris.

I hope my last sentence doesn’t have too many errors in it, because tears are again streaming down my face and I can’t really see.

Never forget.

9/11/01.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Thanks Rich this a good way to never forget this day.

I was home that day and just so happen to deciede that I was not taking my girls to school that day they just turn 7 & 4 and something inside me said dont take them anywhere. Anyway oldest DD at the time got up and turn on the TV and said mommy something wrong with the TV as a typical parnet I yelled at her to stop playing with the TV and go back to bed. So I went to see what was wrong with the tv and and saw that the first tower had been hit by an airplane. First thing in my mine was what idiot did that not more than 5 minutes later the 2nd one hit and that when my heart sank I was like that no accident. So of course painc set in and I called my aunt who works in a Federal Bulding and told her what happen she said she knew and that she would get home soon as she could. When the plane hit the Pentagon my day went from bad to worst because I try to call my Aunt back and couldnt get through next I try calling my mother in Missouri (also a federal employee) and getting through to her either. Come to find out later my mom was flying and on her way home to surpise us in NJ well needless to say she never may it to NJ her fly got deverted to Detriot she was stuck there for a week. I have to say this is a day I thought I would never see in my life time. You only here or read about these events in history books or movies. It so weird and it borther me everytime I head over to NYC and I head over to the Lincoln Tunnel and look at the NY skyline that something missing and it very hard for me to place where the towers were actullay standing.

My heart and prayers go out to all who lost a lot today.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    I was administrating the state mandated graduation test. When I took a break I heard the news. I watched the events on the TV in our conference room. We decided to tell the students, but the testing continued. The state later that week considered retesting any students that were tramatized by the events, but no one at our school said they were. The rest of the school day went about pretty much as normal, but the administration allowed teachers and students to discuss the happenings if they wanted. The events in NYC and DC were beyond the comprehension of most students since the majority do not travel much, except for spring break. There was a lot of animosity expressed at Arabs and Muslims, even though there are none in our county. Our county was once a hotbed for the KKK and the attitudes are still here towards Catholics, Jews, Blacks, Hispanics, and now Muslims.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast