Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Scariest Movie Scenes in the Community Center forums; I posted this over at the message board I run and thought I'd post it over here also. Let's put together a list. I want the scariest movie scenes of ...
    Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Scariest Movie Scenes

I posted this over at the message board I run and thought I'd post it over here also.

Let's put together a list. I want the scariest movie scenes of all time. Try to be descriptive for those that haven't seen the movie. Also take into consideration that after the scenes become legendary and we see them a million times they lose their shreek-factor. Remember your initial reactions the FIRST time you saw the scenes. Also, avoid the underground stuff that noones ever heard of. Try to stick to movies we all know. Thanks.

--------

Here is my list:

- "The Big Wheel Scene" in The Shining when Danny is riding his Big Wheel down the hall and sees the twins. Then sees the brutal murder scene.

- "The Stair Decent" in The Exorcist (Re-released) when Blair walks down the stairs backwards in a backbend. The quickness of it is what makes it even freakier. A picture can't do it justice.

- "The Clown Under The Bed Scene" in Poltergeist when the boy looks over to wear the clown doll was sitting and notices it is gone moments before being pulled under the bed by the clown doll.

- "The Severed Head Scene" in Jaws when Dreyfuss is diving and examining a ship wreck and a severed head floats out of a hole in the side of the boat. How this movie is PG is beyond me.

- "The Amputation Sheer Scene" in Exorcist III when the nurse is checking on the patients and from behind a mysterious figure in a white blanket shows up behind her with amputation sheers.

- "The Decaying Woman In Room 237" in The Shining when Jack Nicholson goes into the room hugging a beautiful woman and sees in the mirror that it is a decaying old woman.

- "The Head Spinner" in The Exorcist when Linda Blair turns her head around. Admit it, the first time it scared you.

- "The Boatride To ****" in Willie Wonka And The Chocolate Factory as... that... boat thing... strange yelling... spinning... whatever is going on happens. Admit it. This freaked you out as a kid even more than the Pink Elephants On Parade. What is with the chicken getting it's head cut off in the background (that has since been edited out)?
    Freaky Audio

- "Freddy's Arms" in A Nightmare on Elmstreet when Freddy is chasing his victim with... outstretched arms?

- "The Well Scene" in The Ring when Samara comes out of the well and heads toward the screen.

- "The Face Pealing" in Poltergeist when his face looks decayed in the mirror and he decides to peel it off.

- "Head Smash Scene" in Drop Dead Fred when Fred gets his head caught in the fridge and it smashes his head, removes it and it is flat. Not scary to most people but this haunted my dreams for years and I covered my eyes whenever the preview came on.

- "Large Marge" in Pee Wee's Big Adventure when Pee Wee is riding with the truck driver and her face goes beserk. Admit it, another childhood movie that scared the **** out of you almost as much as those flying monkeys.

- "The Puppet" in A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors when Freddy rips out the kids veins and controls him like a puppet. Talk about creepy.

- "The Blair Witch's House" in The Blair Witch Project when in the final minutes of the movie they enter the house to find their friend standing in the corner motionless, faced towards the wall... before their camera drops and everything goes silent. Chills.

- "The Kinescope Scene" in House on Haunted Hill where Geoffery Rush starts seeing all the hallucinations and sees the girl in the water, the wrapped up ghost, the guy with the ball, and the girl holding his head. Freaky stuff.

Your turn!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    This looks like it could be a fun one.

Admittedly, I was an easily frightened kid back in the day, so I could give you one looooong list if I had the time, but here's a couple of my personal highlights:

The opening of the Ark of the Covenant at the end of Raiders of The Lost Ark. I don't care how tough kids may have thought they were in the summer of 1981, if you were three, you were taking Indy's sage advice and shutting your eyes as the villians all got theirs; when they lifted the lid and brought down the wrath of God and sixty-some special effects guys (I still occasionally see the Peter Lorre-ish dude in the black hat and spectacles melting in my nightmares).

Long as I'm rollin' with the good Dr. J, being six years old and watching in horror as Mola Ram pulled the still beating heart from the chest of the sacrificial victim in Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom was no picnic, either. I don't think I had ever been as petrified in a movie theater as I was for that sequence (Umm numm shiv-vay, umm numm shiv-vay......!!!).

Man oh man, I hadn't thought of this one in years--guess I had it pretty well blocked from the concious mind until this topic had to go and bring it up again. There's a part in Superman III when an evil scientist lady gets pulled into a mega-computer and comes back out again as this horrific robot-zombie thing. The machine nearly got Supe, too. I forget what happened there, but I guess Richard Pryor must've somehow saved the day (which had to have been a scary scene all to itself........).

Good call on "Large Marge" in Pee Wee's Big Adventure. That had to have been the worst accident I ever seen.
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 09-18-2006 at 02:48 PM.

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    help me.....help me....
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    My choices were a lot like Sledge's. But i'll add a few in

"the spewing of that green bile like substance from her mouth" in The exorcist. When the doctor and her mom walks in the room and she's propped up on the bed, breathing heavily, and her eyes a blueish white, and she has these growls coming from her throat. EEEKKKK

The next two entries will just be the movie's, since there are so many scenes in them that scared a little 11 year old child..

Amityville Horror and
    The dark night of the scarecrow (please tell me i'm not the only one who has seen Larry Drake hiding for his life in the scarecrow until he was shot 20 times)
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    omg I hate scary movies but I can't help but watch them!

My scariest list

The Omen (remake) When the woman is in the bathtub and she lifts up her arms and they are all gashed and red. She looks up to see her son in a horrifying mask and she shrieks and pulls out a noose and grows fangs!
    I almost died

13 Ghosts When he is trapped underneath the house and he first sees all of the ghosts. They all then turn and rush at him!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Sledge is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    -"The Tent Scene" in The Sixth Sense where he goes into the tent and the dead girl is in there with vomit everywhere.

- "The Pig Head" in Saw when the killer jumps out of the closet with a pigs head on his head. Scared the **** out of me the first time and still didn't like it even after that.

- "Ceiling Killing" in New Nightmare where Freddy is pulling the girl accross the ceiling only no one can see Freddy.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    The Wizard of Oz... pretty much any seen with the wicked witch in it--green or as the mean ole neighbor. HEY! I was like 5 when my mom took me to see as a re-release in the theater.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    You got two of my faves in there already, the stair descent FREAKED me out. I kept looking at the stairs in my house thinking she was gonna come down any minute. Just the fact that she left her room was freaky.

The Poltergeist clown....eek. Like Chuckie. Anything small, anything like a doll or a toy running around is creepy. The little fabric dolls with Xs for eyes in one of the Amityville movies gave me the heebie jeebies.

Not really a scary movie but something that scared the **** out of me was the bathtub scene in Fatal Attraction. I was paranoid the whole night after watching that at the theater.

There is also a scene in Total Recall where Arnold is hiding inside a woman's body and the face starts shorting out then opens up to reveal his face, that was just weird!

Valawen9 is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    A few moments from The Grudge freaked me out.

a)When the "Grudge girl" was crawling down the stairs all weird...the way she was moving was really freaky.

b)At the very beginning of the movie when the caretaker girl goes up into the attic and she shines the lighter and the "grudge girl's" face is right there.

c)The surveilance camera footage of her coming down the hallway.

I doubt if this one has ever affected anyone the same way it did me as a little guy, but it sure gave me indigestion at an early age, since as a native Pennsylvanian who spent a little time out in farm country, I could easily imagine this one going down........

During the climax of Witness, a hardcase Philly detective played by Harrison Ford (just a coincidence this time, honest) was protecting a little Amish boy from three dirty cops. Harrison s-uckered one of them into a silo where corn was stored, and dumped the entire locker on him from above. This had to have been one of the most unnerving death scenes I've ever managed to sit through. Bad as he was, there aren't many I'd have wished the way he got his ticket punched on; drowing under hundreds of pounds of corn, dust, and dirt (made all the more agonizing by his struggle to get back out the small hatch into the silo as the place filled up with the grain).

A tangent here, but thanks to this movie, it doesn't matter how many Lethal Weapon sequels they make--Danny Glover will ALWAYS be a bad guy to me. He played one of those crooked cops all too convincingly for me to ever shake the image........

One of my all-time faves: Ghostbusters. About two-thirds of the way through, Walter Peck (refraining here, but so tempting......) of the EPA shut down the grid of the containment unit, and all the captured ghosts escaped. During the montage of New York going somewhere nameless in a handbasket that followed, there's a quick shock moment involving a dissicated skeletal cab driver that gave me nightmares for a few years afterward.

(One of the fundamental problems I had with this movie--the first time I saw it, I took it seriously. It didn't dawn on me until I was a little older that this was supposed to be a comedy.)

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    One of my all-time faves: Ghostbusters. About two-thirds of the way through, Walter Peck (refraining here, but so tempting......) of the EPA shut down the grid of the containment unit, and all the captured ghosts escaped. During the montage of New York going somewhere nameless in a handbasket that followed, there's a quick shock moment involving a dissicated skeletal cab driver that gave me nightmares for a few years afterward.

(One of the fundamental problems I had with this movie--the first time I saw it, I took it seriously. It didn't dawn on me until I was a little older that this was supposed to be a comedy.)
    I remember that. I was thinking about that at work the other day. I can't remember what the thing looked like though other than it used to freak me out. I'm searching for pictures online. See if you can't help me find one.

Here we go:

and

Definitely PG-13 by today's standards.

butlers is offline Lost in Tenderness!!!!!!
    Just around the riverbend over the cobblestone corner of the high arched castle
    I JUST HADDDD to look didn't i...
    April 23rd, oh yeah it's gonna be ON!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    NO!! why did you post that!!

I won't be able to sleep now!
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast