Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss MJ's MRI Results... in the Community Center forums; I don't know if any of you remember, but we had two conflicting results on previous MRI's so this one was the tie breaker.... The official finding is: Right Cerebral ...
    MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle

MJ's MRI Results...

I don't know if any of you remember, but we had two conflicting results on previous MRI's so this one was the tie breaker....

The official finding is: Right Cerebral Cortex polymicrogyria versus pachygyria (Brain Damage, possibly from a stroke)

I can't find squat about it, except that it's common in kids with Epilepsy and Developmental Delay.....

I'm torn about how I feel, I mean, I *knew* it was coming, but seeing it in black and white is hard....

They also upped her Risperidal and gave us permission to give it during the day if she is stimming or having hallucinations too badly...they may change her epilepsy meds too.....She's started having Myoclonic seizures which can happen if you have a certain type of Epilepsy and are put on Trileptal...
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by MommytoMJM View Post
    I'm torn about how I feel, I mean, I *knew* it was coming, but seeing it in black and white is hard.....
    Finally getting a diagnosis is good but it leaves you with the whole "now what?" Hugs to you and MJ.
    Maggie

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    yeah, it does, it's weird seeing it in black and white...

I did learn a bit more about it:

Description

Polymicrogyria (PMG) is a rare brain disorder. PMG is a disorder of neuronal migration resulting in structurally abnormal cerebral hemispheres. The name Polymicrogyria broken down describes its characteristics "many small folds in the surface of the brain". It is also characterized by shallow sulci, a slightly thicker cortex, neuronal heterotopia and enlarged ventricles. When many of these small folds are packed tightly together, PMG may resemble pachygyria (a few "thick folds" - a mild form of lissencephaly) in parts of the brain.

The difference between PMG and pachygyria/lissencephaly can be difficult to see on an MRI or CT scan, even for an experienced radiologist. The diagnosis of PMG is merely descriptive and is not a disease in itself nor does it describe the underlying etiology or cause of the brain malformation

Most children with Polymicrogyria, but not all, have some degree of global developmental disabilities or delays, seizures, feeding difficulties, respiratory problems, motor dysfunction and mental retardation. It is difficult to make a predictable prognosis for children with the diagnosis of PMG because each child is very unique in their presentation of this disorder.

Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    I guess that info is, again, nice to have but doesn't tell you what to expect or how to help MJ. Keep researching all things PMG and just keep doing what you do for MJ.
    Maggie