Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Discussions Discuss Frustrated in the Community Center forums; OK Melissa, it's time to remind me of how excited I first was when I got this job because my morale is very low right now and I'm wanting to ...
    PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...

Angry Frustrated

OK Melissa, it's time to remind me of how excited I first was when I got this job because my morale is very low right now and I'm wanting to quit (again)... My last class of 1st graders were so loud and crazy that one of the other Art teachers across the hall came in and took control of my class. Needless to say I was utterly embarrassed not to mention incredibly mad, mostly at myself. So, in conclusion: Do I continue teaching or do I move on and find a new career path like I want to do right now?

~Not a happy teacher right now
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Bobby,
    I am sorry to hear that you are having a rough time right now with school. Speaking from experience sometimes it is better to switch career paths. However I know how passionate you are with art and I would hate to see two classes ruin that for you. Is there a college that you could teach an art class at, or possibly a high school where kids are more passionate about what they are doing and care about the class? I just hope that no matter what path you choose to take know that you can always turn to Prayer, your wife and me for someone to talk to. Take care and may God guide you in the direction you are chosen to take.

~ChipNDale
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    Bobby,
    I understand how it is to be in an uncontrollable class. Unfortunately, i am usually the student. However, I do not think you should give up. Just try to think of some ideas to calm the students. Either that, or make up a praise system. You tell the munchkins that if they behave, be respectful, quite(etc) then then will receive a special gift/game. But the whole class has to be good or they don't get it. Maybe have a prize/gift as free HW, or a free-day when the students can draw/paint(something art related) whatever they want. ANd when i said game before..it can be based around art..like what are the primary colors..and whichever team wins(and if they are respectful while doing so) They get something from the praise system. (I have more Ideas if you want to PM me lol) (My teacher use to say, "if you can hear me, clap your hands" and everybody clapped..and if she didn't hear eeybody she would keep saying it.. omg...she got so annoying..but i gotta say it WORKS!
    Right now the choice is up to you. I personally think that you should hang in there, somehow be a little assertive. You are a very good and hard-working teacher, but you don't deserve for your class to act that way. Just hang in there, and try everything head-on. I don't think you should change your job now, especially sinc you have worked so hard to get this far.
    Best of Luck if you need any help I am here,
    Disney fanatic
    Last edited by disney fanatic; 11-01-2006 at 03:51 PM.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Have you considered ab modeling? (Just throwing in some comic relief). Sorry I don't have much to add to the topic, I can barely control my own two kids sometimes, can't even imagine a whole classroom of them. What is the new career path you mentioned? What is it that you are not liking, the age group? The school?

Here I am to save the day!!!! You knew I was keeping this for you!

Originally posted 3/22/06 by YOU!!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PumpkinJack81
    Hey gang,

I wanted to make a quick post to let you all know that I the principal at Mountain Island Elementary called my school this morning and I will definitely be offered a position as an Art Teacher at her school! She said that it is a "done deal" and Human Resources will be contacting me anytime between now and April 3. She is excited to have me on board and also said that the Art Teachers currently at Mountain Island are very excited about me joining them and look forward to working with me. I am so happy right now and feel so blessed! Thank you God! Thank you! Thank you! I'll talk to you all soon...

Love always,
    PumpkinJack81/PJ/Prince/Super Ober/Bobby/Bob

And Bobby remember....I have one of the first graders at home with me along with a 2 year old and although there are days that I would like to throw my arms in the air and quit my Mommy job I know deep down inseide that this is what I am meant to do with my life, the job I'm meant to have and you know that deep down inside of you that you are following your true life path and an art teacher is what you are meant to be!!!!!! You take the good with the bad my friend. Keep your chin up.

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    First of all - it's not you!
    You are not their normal teacher and it is normal that a class will get out of control even when you are doing your best to keep them under control. When I would pick up my class from art they were most of the time out of control and I the art teacher there was a really great teacher.
    Also! I have had struggled with keeping classes in order several times and it is so difficult and hard for anyone who does not teach to understand. Have you talked with that particular classes teacher? Maybe she has a certain signal or method you can use that the kids know they need to calm down and listen or they will be in big trouble. I would ask her what she uses, especially since every class is so different in what works and what doesn't.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    I've been teaching for 14 years and still have days when I wonder why I bother! But as time went by I realised that (as another post said) its not me, its them. Youngsters generally would rather play about than work hard, (wouldn't we all?!) and when they have the back up from the rest of the class,they develop a 'pack mentality'. Try not to take it personally. Is there a member of staff you could talk to? I am a staff mentor and am currently working with two members of staff who feel like you do. PM me if you think it will help, and know that there are people who will help.
    Teaching is a tough job, but ultimatly very rewarding. Hang in there!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Boby, Bobby, Bobby!!

I can't really add much to what people have already said. They have basically put down what I was thinking. We all have our good days and bad days and like people have said - You've got to take the rough with the smooth.

We all know that teaching is your real passion. Could you see yourself in another career - What direction would you go?

We are all here with you matey and so stick with it and be more aggressive with the little ankle biters!!

Take care and I'm sure things will work out,

Rich.
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

PumpkinJack81 is offline Some say to survive it you need to be as a mad as a hatter...
    Hi gang,

I want to thank each one of you for all of your kind words and support, and for thinking about me and my frustrations... Today is another crazy school day with back-to-back classes (6 in all) so I cannot write to each of you like I would like to do. I will respond to each or your posts whenever I get a chance because each reply I read gave me more and more strength and hope. Today is a new day and I'm going to make the best of it, no matter what happens. After all, last year I taught inner-city middle schoolers and those kids were a lot harder to deal with at times than these elementary children. I'll let you all know how I'm feeling later on... In the mean time, thank you! My DWT Family has always stood behind me and I am eternally thankful for your love and support!

~ Feeling better today
    ~Bobby Jack

When you hear the knell of a requiem bell weird glows gleam where spirits dwell
    Restless bones etherealize rise as spooks of every size
    Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize!

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Alright everyone sing with me now:

Keep Smiling, Keep Shining. Knowing you can always count on me, for sure. That's what friendsa re for. For good times and bad times, I'll be on your side forever more. That's what friends are for

Sad thing is, I did that without any help.. Rock on Stevie Wonder!
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale View Post
    Alright everyone sing with me now:

Keep Smiling, Keep Shining. Knowing you can always count on me, for sure. That's what friendsa re for. For good times and bad times, I'll be on your side forever more. That's what friends are for

Sad thing is, I did that without any help.. Rock on Stevie Wonder!

meee...meeee...meeee.....meeeee

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    You've gotten some great advice already. I'll just offer my support in spirit. As a former teacher, I know where you are coming from. There are bad days, but the good ones always seemed closer to being great. Be organized. Be firm. Never give empty threats, and follow through on what you do say.

Good luck. We're behind you all the way.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

turkeymama is offline Christmas Shopping Rules!
    I guess I'll throw my 2 cents in. I just got through observing an art teacher at one of the elementary schools here. She was VERY strict with all those kids. (I observed her with 3 different classes.) I noticed when she heard a student talking she had them write their name on the board. This meant their class teacher would know they had misbehaved in art class. I'm not sure if they lost recess for that or not. The point is, just like someone else said, the art teacher and the class teacher obviously had a system and the students knew that. Also, only the students that were well behaved in class got to have their artwork displayed for the whole school. That seemed to be a big incentive for some of them.

Bottom line: Don't give up. I know you have worked hard to get where you are.
    "You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you."
    Walt Disney

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of teachers. I spent the first 7 of my 35 years in education in the classroom. I can tell you that you have to establish who is boss from "Day 1" or else the students will take over. It doesn't matter whether the students are 5 or 15 they will test your limits at all times. Acting out by students is a lack of respect for the teacher. However, you can't demand respect, you have to earn it. Unfortunately, administrators will often evaluate a teacher based on classroom discipline regardless of teaching ability. I have witnessed excellent teachers fired for lack of discipline and mediocre teachers given tenure because their classrooms were "quiet". If you have a mentor go to him or her and ask for some advice.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Don't feel bad, it happens to the best of teachers. I spent the first 7 of my 35 years in education in the classroom. I can tell you that you have to establish who is boss from "Day 1" or else the students will take over. It doesn't matter whether the students are 5 or 15 they will test your limits at all times. Acting out by students is a lack of respect for the teacher. However, you can't demand respect, you have to earn it. Unfortunately, administrators will often evaluate a teacher based on classroom discipline regardless of teaching ability. I have witnessed excellent teachers fired for lack of discipline and mediocre teachers given tenure because their classrooms were "quiet". If you have a mentor go to him or her and ask for some advice.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast