Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss I got a chance to plug DWT in class today! in the Community Center forums; I finally got a chance today to make a little plug for DWT.com while in the middle of a legitimate classroom discussion! I was sitting in my CRM (that's Crew ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

I got a chance to plug DWT in class today!

I finally got a chance today to make a little plug for DWT.com while in the middle of a legitimate classroom discussion!

I was sitting in my CRM (that's Crew Resource Management, for you non-aviation folk) class this afternoon, and the central theme of the discussion revolved around how to be "assertive, yet respectful" first officers (or copilots, as you non-aviation folk probably know them as) when it comes to flying with a captain who is, in your opinion, acting in a manner which might compromise the safety of the flight. We discussed a number of prominent aviation accidents which resulted from a breakdown in CRM skills in the cockpit, and the recurring trend we observed was that in every case discussed, the first officer had had an opportunity to be assertive, and possibly save the flight from its impending tragedy, but in each case failed to do so for whatever reason.

"So in this case," my professor asks the class, in reference to one of the accidents we were discussing at the time, "rather than speaking up and asserting his opinion to go missed,..." (that's short for missed-approach - it means deciding to stop your descent into the airport for safety reasons, climbing back up to a safe altitude and airspeed, and reevaluating your situation), "...what does the first officer do?"

"He's just along for the ride," someone from the front of the room comments.

"WHEEEE!!!" exclaims another student jokingly. The classroom chuckles in response.

"Yeah, exactly," the professor agrees. "He's in for the E-Ticket ride of his life." He then pauses for a moment as a puzzled look comes over the faces of just about the entire class.

To most of them, an "e-Ticket" is the thing that many airlines now offer that allows you to print out your reciept after buying a ticket online and therefore skip the check-in counter entirely. I have to laugh now, thinking about how they must have been trying to draw a connection between their idea of what an e-ticket was and why this first officer might have had to have an e-ticket for his own flight.

Sensing this confusion, my professor then asks, "Do any of you know what an E-Ticket is? Does anyone remember that, or are you all too young?" Most of the class didn't respond, and a few shook their heads no. I couldn't help but break into a grin. I just couldn't let this opportunity pass me by.

I immediately launch into a brief, yet thorough, explanation of the Disney parks' old ticket system with the A-thru-E ticket books, and how the E-Tickets were the "best" tickets, reserved for the most popular attractions and rides.

Needless to say, about 2/3s of the class turned to look at me, as if silently asking how the heck I knew that. So I just grinned, shrugged, and blurted out to the room, "DisneyWorldTrivia.com"
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    That's funny. We should plug this site all we can.
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Great, Don!!!

Does your class know your Disney Mad?
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    Great, Don!!!

Does your class know your Disney Mad?
    A couple probably are aware of it, especially with all the Mickey shirts I wear, the Mickey keychain, and who knows what else. But I know of at least one student in there in particular knows about my time spent here on DWT, and that is because a few weeks ago we were working on a project together, and while waiting in the computer lab for a 115 page NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) document to finish printing, I decided to log on and check my recent posts, and in the process had to tell my classmate all about how great it was here.

As it turns out, he's from Southern California (LA area), and although he's not a die-hard Mousefan like myself, he is a semi-frequent visitor to Disneyland out there.
    -Don-

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I am amused that you used DWT.com as your source for E-ticket information and not the fact that you may (or not) be old enough to remember using E-tickets. LOL Good story.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Don,
    Are you the one that was in a few of the pictures with Rich and Ann?

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    That is so cool. I was told just this week that I have Disney Issues because I have a Tigger Jacket. I told her she has Vegas issues so today she called Vegas the Adult's Disney World. She is so wrong and misinformed! Maybe I can convert her as time goes one!

Way to go Don!

Hakuna Matata is offline Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!
    Wishing on a star for my prince to come...
    Thats awesome, I had a similar experience in my math class, except I didn't get to plug DWT but instead someone didn't know how to solve one of the problems and they said "i guess we have to use our imagination" My teacher turned around and he was like "do you guys know who figment is?" and everyone looked confuzed. I was like "I know who figment it!" and launched into an explanation on how figment is the purple dragon who is kind of a symbol for epcot and that he is the figment of imagination. It was great, I think most ppl in my class thought I was kind of crazy, but I was just happy to get to share some of my disney knowledge.
    It's our problem-free philosophy Hakuna Matata!
    I've been to Disney World 22 times and can't wait to go back!

yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I am amused that you used DWT.com as your source for E-ticket information and not the fact that you may (or not) be old enough to remember using E-tickets. LOL Good story.
    I'm 22 now, having been born in 1984, and my first trip was in January '88, when I was 3 years old, and well after the A-thru-E tickets had already been phased out back in the early eighties. I therefore am certainly not old enough to recall them personally, but I have been aware of them for quite some time now. I honestly can't remember where I first learned of the lettered tickets, as I knew about them well before I joined DWT.com, but it just seemed like a good time and place to fit in a little plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Stitch View Post
    Don,
    Are you the one that was in a few of the pictures with Rich and Ann?
    Most likely. I've been in a few pictures with them, having met them last month while they were here on vacation (or "holiday", I think they call it over on their side of the pond). I'm the doofy looking guy with the blue Mickey shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Hakuna Matata~ View Post
    Thats awesome, I had a similar experience in my math class, except I didn't get to plug DWT but instead someone didn't know how to solve one of the problems and they said "i guess we have to use our imagination" My teacher turned around and he was like "do you guys know who figment is?"
    Haha, you should have replied by singing the song...

Two tiny wings
    Eyes big and yellow
    Horns of a steer
    But a loveable fellow...

That would have made for an amusing response!
    -Don-

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    haha, thats awesome, nice job!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

magikindom is offline It's Yeti time!
    Cool
    I'm only happy in Disney World
    I am still a proud pod person
    Keep on babbeling

I'm pretty sure it was you.