Your Walt Disney World Information Station
General Discussions Discuss Veteran's Day in the Community Center forums; Today marks the United States' recognition of our military veterans through Veteran's Day, a national holiday. Veteran's Day honors US veterans, men and women who served in the US Armed ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Veteran's Day

Today marks the United States' recognition of our military veterans through Veteran's Day, a national holiday.

Veteran's Day honors US veterans, men and women who served in the US Armed Forces. Veteran's Day began as a celebration of the peace after World War I ended, and was originally called Armistice Day; the armistice (truce) ending WWI was signed on November 11, 1918. Armistice Day became an official federal holiday in 1938. The holiday was renamed Veteran's Day in 1954, and became an official holiday honoring all US veterans. Veteran's Day is observed on November 11 each year in the USA.

Our national holidays have a common factor: they honor our country, its people, traditions and customs. Celebrating America's past, present, and future is a function of each holiday. Veterans Day is a time to remember those men and women who served in our U.S. Armed Forces.

To those brave people, my sincere thanks.

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Veteran's Day Trivia

Veterans Day Trivia

At 11 a.m. on November 11th in 1918, World War I ceased. On November 11th, many still bow their heads in remembrance at the 11th hour of this 11th day of the 11th month.

On November 11, 1919, the first 2-minutes' silence was observed in Britain to commemorate those who had died in the Great War.

Kate Smith first introduced Irving Berlin's song, "God Bless America," on Armistice Day, November 11, 1938, at the New York World's Fair. Berlin gave all royalties from the very popular and emotional song to the scouts. It became Kate Smith's second signature song after "When the Moon Comes Over the Mountain."
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

iamdaisyduck is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Nicely done, Lou. Being related to a veteran who saw combat, I'd like to say thanks for remembering.

ToddBreakey is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for the trivia Ace.

I'd like to say THANK YOU to all men and women who serve this great country of ours. Without you, we would not have the great quality of life that we enjoy so much.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

God bless our troops!!!
    God bless America!!!

"You shouldn't play leapfrog with a porcupine. You might get hurt." - Eliza Breakey, Age 4

I HATE being back in the real world!!!!