Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Disney Trivia and Games Discuss Christianity and Disney in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Here's a question? I teach a course on Disney at a Christian University. I ask my students to identity at least 4 specific positive references to Christianity or the Biblical ...
    cuthill is offline A-Ticket holder

Christianity and Disney

Here's a question? I teach a course on Disney at a Christian University. I ask my students to identity at least 4 specific positive references to Christianity or the Biblical story in either feature length Disney movies or shorts. Can anyone figure out what they are?

Note: The upcoming Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe doesn't count because it hasn't been released.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    I am thinking of Remember the Titans because the one line is you have to trust the soul of a man and not his appearance

A qualification

I should have mentioned in the last post -- I was looking for only references in "animated films". And they are all very direct references to Christianity -- not Christian ethics or principles.

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games
    The most obvious one I can think of, is the story of Noah's Ark in Fantasia 2000, accompanied by the music of Pomp and Circumstance.
    Do you include cartoon shorts, like "The Small One?"
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

Hunchback of Notre Dame should be one. I know that Esmeralda refers to them 'all being children of God' and that 'God should help the outcast'.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Yes, but the story of Noah is not unique to Christianity. I cannot think of anything specific to the Christian faith just yet.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

In the Lion King they refer to Heaven after Mufasa dies.

Yes. Emerelda's "God Helps the Outcasts" is a specific song directed to the stature of Mary. That's one.

The Noah story is part of 3 major world religions and the heaven reference could be any religion.

3 more to go. 1 is fairly easy, the other 2 are a little more difficult.

I didn't notice earlier but Dzynut also mentioned "Small One"

That's 2 out of 4.

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    heres a comparison of Mickey to David

http://moses.creighton.edu/JRS/2004/2004-2.html

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I do not know the answer to this and I feel ashamed. I have though, used the Little Mermaid when my children were young, to show them that God loves us and gave himself up for us like Triton gave himself up to Ursula to redeem Ariel.

PS. Would you be willing to share an outline of your class?
    They call me "Nana"

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie
    I do not know the answer to this and I feel ashamed. I have though, used the Little Mermaid when my children were young, to show them that God loves us and gave himself up for us like Triton gave himself up to Ursula to redeem Ariel.

PS. Would you be willing to share an outline of your class?
    Ooooh, I love that, that is awsome Tnina!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

PS. Would you be willing to share an outline of your class?[/QUOTE]

Sure. It's called Fantasy and Popular Culture. We begin by reading C.S. On Writing for Children and then use it as a basis for looking at several different Disney Films, as well as the expereinmece of the parks. We also look at Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings. After December we'll also be able to watch Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. I'm very excited about this film. Look's like it could be one of the best things Disney has ever done.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I loved The Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe when I was young. I read and reread all of the Chronicles of Narnia, but the first one was and always be my favorite. I can't wait for the movie to come out. I have the animated version and the PBS version (I like the animated better) and can't wait for the new one. This could be an awesome film!
    They call me "Nana"

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by cuthill
    Here's a question? I teach a course on Disney at a Christian University. I ask my students to identity at least 4 specific positive references to Christianity or the Biblical story in either feature length Disney movies or shorts. Can anyone figure out what they are?

Note: The upcoming Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe doesn't count because it hasn't been released.
    Welcome to the boards!!!

I have no idea about the religious stuff.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast