Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 32 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast
General Disney Trivia and Games Discuss This Day in Disney History in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; June 26 1952: Disney's family adventure film The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (starring Richard Todd, Joan Rice, and Peter Finch) is released. 1956: At Disneyland, the ...
    tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    June 26

1952:
    Disney's family adventure film The Story of Robin Hood and His Merrie Men (starring Richard Todd, Joan Rice, and Peter Finch) is released.

1956:
    At Disneyland, the Mule Pack (one of the park's original attractions) is renamed the Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules.

1957:
    Viewliner opens in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Guests can take a ride on a streamlined train powered by an Oldsmobile V-8 "Rocket" engine.

1959:
    Disney's Donald Duck film Donald in Mathmagic Land is released as is the live-action feature film Darby O'Gill and the Little People.

1968:
    The Disney live-action film Never A Dull Moment (starring **** Van Dyke and Edward G. Robinson) is released.

1989:
    Delta Dreamflight (an attraction that depicts the history of aviation) debuts at Walt Disney World's Tomorrowland.

1999:
    Disneyland hosts a two-day celebration honoring the Haunted Mansion's 30th Anniversary. On this evening, over 1000 guests witness a panel discussion at the Fantasyland Theater with some of the people who brought the mansion to life. The Dapper Dans (the park's popular singing group) materialize as the Hitchhiking Ghosts and the Grave Digger to sing a rendition of the attraction's theme song, "Grim Grinning Ghosts."
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

June 27

1930:
    Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon Arctic Antics is released. This is animator Ubi Iwerks' last cartoon at Disney as a director.

1936:
    A story conference for Snow White is held at the Disney Studio. Walt, Frank Churchill, Charles Philippi, Joe Grant, Bill Cottrell, Larry Morey, and Bob Kuwahara discuss the sequence in which the Huntsman, having taken Snow White into the woods, is supposed to kill her. Walt want to develop the scene in such a way that the Huntsman loses his nerve.

1952:
    Disney's Goofy short Teachers are People is released.

1979:
    Disney's The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again, starring Tim Conway, Don Knotts, Tim Matheson, Harry Morgan and Ruth Buzzi, is released.

1985:
    Disney and MGM/UA sign a 31-page, 20-year agreement, giving Disney the exclusive rights to use most of the MGM/UA film studio's movies.

1986:
    Disney's Ruthless People, starring Danny De Vito, Bette Midler, Judge Reinhold, and Helen Slater, is released.

1991:
    Mickey's Mart (a Walt Disney World souvenir shop in Tomorowland) closes. It will later be known as Mickey's Star Traders.

1999:
    The two-day celebration to honor the 30th Anniversary of the Haunted Mansion continues at Disneyland.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

June 28

1929:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon The Plow Boy is released. It is the first cartoon appearance of Clarabelle Cow and Horace Horsecollar.

1940:
    Disney's Pluto cartoon Bone Trouble is released. It is the first cartoon directed by Jack Kinney.

1988:
    The opening of Disney's Grand Floridian Resort ushers in an era of accelerated hotel building at Disney World, during which 10 new resort hotels have been added to date. It is the third Magic Kingdom monorail resort located on the beaches* of the Seven Seas Lagoon between the Polynesian Resort* and the Magic Kingdom. The luxurious Grand Floridian (the crown jewel of the Disney World resorts) is themed to be reminiscent of turn-of-the-century Florida.

1999:
    At Disneyland, the Main Street Window is dedicated to the former Chairman of the Walt Disney Attractions, **** Nunis. (Receiving a window on Main Street is the highest honor any Cast Member can achieve.) Mr. Nunis and Mickey Mouse ride out from the gate beside the Mad Hatter in a little blue motorcar while the Disneyland Band plays Zip A Dee Do Dah.

2003:
    The world premiere of The Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl takes place at Disneyland.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

June 29

1935:
    Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon Who Killed C ock Robin? is released.

The Dave Brubeck Quartet record tracks for a Disney-themed record album titled Dave Digs Disney. (The album is inspired by a Brubeck family visit to Disneyland.)

1966:
    Disney's live-action short film Run, Appaloosa, Run is generally released.

1974:
    At Disneyland, the America Sings attraction debuts in Tomorrowland's Carousel Theater. Sam the Eagle (voiced by Burl Ives) guides visitors through four big musical acts, each with a medley of period tunes. The attraction, featuring 115 Audio-Animatronics animal characters, replaces the General Electric Carousel of Progress .

2000:
    The renovated Chevron Autopia opens at Disneyland.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

June 30

1931:
    Disney's Silly Symphony cartoon The Busy Beavers is released.

1939:
    Disney's Donald Duck short Sea Scouts is released.

1950:
    Disney's Goofy short Motor Mania is released.

1957:
    Jazz pianist Dave Brubeck and his trio finish up a 2-day recording session for a Disney themed record album to be called Dave Digs Disney. (For many years the Quartet had played various Disney tunes at live performances. During a Brubeck family trip to Disneyland, Dave suddenly realized he should gather them together into an album.)

1966:
    Cartoonist Carl Barks voluntarily retires after 3 decades of drawing Donald Duck comic books for Disney.

1978:
    Disney's The Cat from Outer Space, starring Ken Berry, Sandy Duncan, Harry Morgan, McLean Stevenson (making his film debut) and Roddy McDowell, is released.

1993:
    Disney acquires the independent film production house, Miramax Films. From the deal, Disney will gain the rights to Miramax's library of more than 200 films and agree to finance all future Miramax productions.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 1

1924:
    Disney's Alice Comedy Alice and the Dog Catcher (a silent black & white short that mixes live-action and animation) is released. The short features Virginia Davis as Alice.

1932:
    Walt Disney signs a merchandising arrangement with Herman Kay Kamen. This makes Kamen the sole representative for Walt's company.

1933:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon Mickey's Gala Premiere is released.

1959:
    Disney's Donald Duck film How to Have an Accident at Work
    is released.

1966:
    Primeval World debuts at Disneyland. Originally featured as part of the Ford Magic Skyway attraction for the 1964-1965 World's Fair, guests aboard the Disneyland Railroad travel through a dinorama featuring animatronic dinosaurs.

1975:
    At Walt Disney World, the WEDway PeopleMover, a futuristic way of shuttling people around Tomorrowland, opens. It is located at Rockettower Plaza, where passengers enter and exit onto a circular moving platform. The ride is based on Disneyland's PeopleMover.

1994:
    At Disney World's EPCOT park, Innoventions East and West open replacing the outdated CommuniCore with all new exhibits. Innoventions is a showcase of new products and ideas covering 100,000 square feet.

1996:
    At Walt Disney World, the last of the Epcot resorts planned around Crescent Lake, Disney's Boardwalk Inn, opens. The resort re-creates the vacation charm of the Mid-Atlantic coastal cottages of the 1930s. It is located on a small lake on the Epcot-Studio waterway, visible to and just across from the Yacht and Beach Club Resorts. The Boardwalk Villas (a Disney Vacation Club property) also opens on this day.

1997:
    The sound effects demonstration attraction ABC Sound Studio opens at the Disney-MGM Studios Park in Florida.

2002:
    The Atlantic seaboard-inspired Disney's Beach Club Villas opens in Florida.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 2

1967:
    Disneyland's Rocket Jets, PeopleMover, and the General Electric Carousel of Progress all open in Tomorrowland. The Rocket Jets (a 12 two-person attraction) sits above the PeopleMover (a train of cars that transports guests around Tomorrowland) in the Tomorrowland plaza area.

1972:
    Although it has been up and ruinning since June 5, Walt Disney World's If You Had Wings attraction is formally unveiled during a dedication ceremony in Tomorrowland. Sponsored by Eastern Airlines (the official airline of the Disney resort) it will be the last Omnimover ride Disney will build for over ten years.

1986:
    Disney's animated film The Great Mouse Detective (based on the children's book series by Eve Titus, Basil of Baker Street) is released in U.S. theaters. The score is written by composer Henry Mancini who also collaborated on two of the three featured songs with lyricists Larry Grossman and Ellen Fitzhugh.

1993:
    Aladdin's Oasis opens in Disneyland's Adventureland.

1999:
    Actor and Disney legend **** Van Dyke plays the Deagan Organ Chimes (a novelty musical instrument) with the Dapper Dans during a special barbershop performance at the Carnation Plaza Gardens Stage in Disneyland. The performance is part of a ceremony naming Disneyland's Main Street U.S.A. an Honorary Chapter of the Barbershop Society, with all the Dapper Dans, past and present, as founding member
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 3

1957:
    Disney's People & Places documentary Lapland is released.

1994:
    The Lion King soundtrack hits #1 on the Billboard chart, where it will stay for nine consecutive weeks.

1998:
    A second Innoventions debuts ... this time in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Visitors climb aboard a carousel theater (once home to Carousel of Progress) to experience 5 different "pods" of technology. (The first Innoventions opened in Epcot.)
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 4

1927:
    Disney's Oswald the Lucky Rabbit film Trolley Troubles premieres at the Criterion Theatre in Los Angeles, California.

1956:
    Disneyland's Indian War Canoes attraction debuts in Critter Country.

1975:
    Disney's comedy feature The Apple Dumpling Gang, starring Tim Conway and Don Knotts, is released.

1979:
    The first baby is born at Disneyland, California. Six-pound, 10-ounce Teresa Salcedo is born to Rosa and Elias Salcedo on a bench behind Plaza Inn. (Mickey Mouse will later honor the Los Angeles family with a "Disneyland Birth Certificate No. 1.")

1987:
    Tokyo Disneyland's version of Big Thunder Mountain sends its first run-away mine train flying over the tracks in Westernland.

Over 87,000 guests visit Disneyland on this holiday (an all-time record up to this time).

1996:
    "Phase One" of Disney's newest Florida community, Celebration, has its grand opening.

1998:
    Many towns across Florida including Walt Disney World cancel firework celebrations due to risk of setting additional forest fires in that state's worst fire disaster in fifty years.

2000:
    At Walt Disney World, a giant 1 and a half-ton, 24 by 13 foot cherry cobbler (that resembles the Star-Spangled Banner)
    is dished out to guests.

2001:
    Disney's Electrical Parade returns to Anaheim, California, with nightly performances at Disney's California Adventure. Disney's Electrical Parade (formerly called the Main Street Electrical Parade) originated at Disneyland back in 1972.

2003:
    Walt Disney World guests are treated to a special edition of Fantasy in the Sky fireworks featuring patriotic music.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 5

1971:
    Disney's live-action feature Napoleon and Samantha, starring Michael Douglas, Will Geer, Johnny Whitaker and Jodie Foster, is released.

1988:
    Epcot's Maelstrom at the Norway Pavilion opens to guests.

1989:
    Tokyo Disneyland welcomes its 70-millionth guest.

1998:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon compilation The Spirit of Mickey is released.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 6

1925:
    Walt and Roy Disney put up a $400 deposit on a lot at
    2719 Hyperion Ave., in the Silver Lake district of Los Angeles, California. They plan to build a new animation studio.
    (The single-story building will serve as the Disney's base for
    the next fifteen years.)

2004:
    A 230-pound female African elephant calf is born in Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 7

1931:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon Mickey Steps Out is released.

1997:
    Disneyland's monorail begins operating in one direction only due to the construction of Disney's California Adventure.

1998:
    Disney's Beauty and the Beast plays its 1,762 performance on Broadway. This breaks the previous record making it the longest-running show ever at the Palace Theater in New York City.

2000:
    Voice actresses June Foray, the voice of Rocky the Flying Squirrel, Tweety Bird's Granny, and many Disney animated characters (such as Lucifer in Cinderella), receives her star on Hollywood Boulevard's Walk of Fame.

The Disney Ambassador Hotel (located at The Tokyo Disney Resort) opens.

Disney's The Kid starring Bruce Willis, Spencer Breslin, and Lily Tomlin is released.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 8

1938:
    Disney's Donald Duck cartoon Good Scouts is released.

1956:
    The Disney animated short How to Have an Accident in the Home, featuring Donald Duck, is released.

1958:
    Disney's live-action feature The Light in the Forest, starring Fess Parker, is released.

1964:
    Disney's live-action feature film The Moon-Spinners, starring Hayley Mills and Eli Wallach, is generally released.

1994:
    The premier opening of the Legend of The Lion King in the Fantasyland Theater (at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom) takes place with a 5-minute ceremony.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July12

Disney's Alice Comedy Alice Wins the Derby, featuring Margie Gay as Alice, premieres at the Piccadilly Theater in New York City.

1961:
    The first draft of a screenplay is completed for a Disney film titled Mary Poppins.

Disney's live-action adventure film Nikki, Wild Dog of the Northis released.
    1971:
    Disney's live-action comedy Now You See Him, Now You Don't starring Kurt Russell, Cesar Romero, Joe Flynn, and Jim Backus, is released.

1998:
    Disney opens its first ESPN Zone (a sports themed restaurant, bar, and sports arena) in Baltimore, Maryland.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 13

1925:
    Walt Disney marries Lillian Bounds (one of his first employees) at her brother's home in Lewiston, Idaho.

1935:
    Disney's Mickey Mouse cartoon Mickey's Garden is released.

1945:
    Disney's Goofy short Californy er Bust is released.

1955:
    Eighteen-year-old Bob Penfield begins working at Disneyland four days before the park's grand opening. He is attending an orientation for Cast Members. Bob will earn $1.65 an hour. (He will go on to work for Disneyland for the next 42 years, making him the longest working Cast Member in history.)

Walt and Lillian Disney celebrate their 30th wedding anniversary at the not-yet-opened Disneyland. Lillian Disney invites guests to a "Tempus Fugit Celebration," at six o'clock in the evening. As the guests arrive, they are transported down Main Street and into Frontierland via horse-drawn surreys. From there, everyone takes a ride around the Rivers of America aboard the Mark Twain Riverboat while sipping mint juleps. Although they are already engaged, Roy E. Disney (Walt's nephew) presents a ring to his fiance Patty. Afterwards guests head to the Golden Horseshoe Saloon for dinner and the very first performance of a show called the Golden Horseshoe Revue (created by Wally Boag, the original Pecos Bill).
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Page 32 of 131 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast