Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 81 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,215 of 1957
General Disney Trivia and Games Discuss This Day in Disney History in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; July 15 1975: Construction begins on Disneyland's Space Mountain. 2000: Six Walt Disney Imagineers come together for a special lithograph signing to pay tribute to Disneyland Park and "45 Years ...
    tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    July 15

1975:
    Construction begins on Disneyland's Space Mountain.

2000:
    Six Walt Disney Imagineers come together for a special lithograph signing to pay tribute to Disneyland Park and "45 Years of Magic." The event takes place at The Disney Gallery located in the New Orleans Square.

2006:
    The 2006 DisMeets in Allentown, Pennsylvania takes place. The 3rd annual event features presentations by leading Disney-site webmasters.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 16

1927:
    The 56th (and final) Disney Alice comedy film, Alice in the Big League is previewed in a Los Angeles theater.

1954:
    More that 180 acres of south Anaheim orange groves officially belong to Disney as of this day. He will use the California property to build a theme park. To finance the project, Walt has sold a vacation home and even borrowed against his life insurance.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 17

1912:
    Radio-television host Art Linkletter is born in Canada. Exactly 43 years later he will take part in the televised grand opening of Disneyland.

1917:
    Comedienne Phyllis Diller - the voice of The Queen in the 1998 Disney/Pixar A Bug's Life - is born in Missouri.

1955:
    Television crews, Walt Disney, Art Linkletter, Ronald Reagan, Bob Cummings, the Mouseketeers, Thurl Ravenscroft, California Governor Goodwin J. Knight and over 28,000 guests witness the opening of Disneyland in Anaheim, California. Broadcast on ABC, it is the biggest live telecast to date!
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 18

1955:
    Monday
    Disneyland in Anaheim, California first opens to the general public at 10 a.m. on this humid day with admission costing $1.

1965:
    Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln opens to the public (the day after its official dedication) at the new and specially constructed Opera House on Main Street USA at Disneyland.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 19

1934:
    Disney signs a contract with the Lionel Corporation to produce a Mickey Mouse wind-up hand-car.

1950:
    Disney's Treasure Island (based on the book by Robert Louis Stevenson) is released. It is the first Disney live-action film without any animation and the first Disney film to be shot in England.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 20

1969:
    The historic Apollo 11 moon landing is televised on Disneyland's Tomorrowland Stage. Neil Armstrong (who in July 2005 will take part in the re-opening of Disneyland's Space Mountain) becomes the very first human to set foot on the moon.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 21

1924:
    Veteran actor Don Knotts is born Jesse Donald Knotts in Morgantown, West Virginia. He will go on to appear in Disney's 1975 The Apple Dumpling Gang, the 1977 Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo, and the 1979 The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again. Knotts is also the voice of Mayor Turkey Lurkey in the animated 2005 Chicken Little.

1952:
    Comedian-actor Robin Williams, the voice of the Blue Genie of the Lamp in Disney's 1992 Aladdin and the voice of Timekeeper in the 1992 From Time to Time (which played in the Disney World attraction The Timekeeper) is born in Chicago, Illinois. He also stars in Disney's 1997 live-action feature Flubber.

1961:
    Walt Disney Productions releases The Parent Trap starring Hayley Mills, Maureen O'Hara, Brian Keith, and Cathleen Nesbitt.

2005:
    At Tokyo DisneySea, Raging Spirits (a high-speed roller coaster) begins operation. Located in the Lost River Delta section of the park, the attraction takes riders through the ruins of an ancient ceremonial site.

Nicolas Mongello is born to webmaster and author Lou Mongello and his lovely wife, Deanna.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 22

1947:
    Actor-writer-director Albert Brooks, the voice of Marlin in the 2003 Finding Nemo, is born in Beverly Hills, California.

1949:
    Academy Award-winning songwriter Alan Menken, known for his work in such Disney classics as The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and Pocahontas, is born in New Rochelle, New York.

1955:
    At Disneyland, the Candy Palace opens on Main Street. Over in Tomorrowland, Rocket to the Moon debuts.

Actor Willem Dafoe, the voice of Gill in the 2003 Finding Nemo, is born in Appleton, Wisconsin.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 23

2003:
    It is reported that for the first time Walt Disney World will run national TV ads about a single ride. The company's new campaign will be centered around Epcot's thrilling attraction,
    Mission: Space
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 24

1936:
    Comedic actress Ruth Buzzi is born in Westerly, Rhode Island. Buzzi's Disney credits include The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again and the original version of Freaky Friday.

1985:
    Walt Disney's 25th animated feature The Black Cauldron (based loosely on the first two volumes of Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain) premieres in U.S. theaters. This film was 12 years in the making, at the cost of over $25 million. It is the first Disney animated movie to get a PG rating and the first animated movie to ever use 3-D graphics.

2005:
    The premiere of Disney's live-action feature Sky High takes place at the El Capitan Theater in Hollywood, California.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 25

1959:
    The Ernest S. Marsh locomotive (Engine No. 4) takes its first inaugural run around Disneyland at the hands of Chief Engineer, Walt Disney. Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1925, it is named for the president of the Santa Fe Railroad.

2003:
    The Disney Institute (located at Walt Disney World) officially closes after 7 years in operation. A resort and learning center, it was a pet project of Disney CEO Michael Eisner who saw it as a way for families to learn and play together.

2006:
    Stars from Disney’s three Broadway musicals - Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King and Tarzan - perform a free concert at the J&R Music and Computer World at City Hall Park in New York City.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 26

1921:
    Writer, humorist, actor, and National Radio Hall of Famer Jean Shepherd - the voice of the Father in Disney's Carousel of Progress attraction - is born in South Chicago, Illinois.

1951:
    Disney's animated Alice in Wonderland has its world premiere in England, at London's Leicester Square Theatre. It will be released in the U.S. two days later.

2006:
    The role of Bert in the London production of Mary Poppins passes from Gavin Lee to Gavin Creel. Tony-nominee Creel replaces Lee in the production at the Prince Edward Theatre as Lee has been cast in the Broadway staging of Mary Poppins.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 27

1956:
    The Disney short In the Bag, featuring Humphrey the Bear and Ranger Audubon J. Woodlore, is released.

1962:
    The Firehouse Five Plus Two (a spare-time musical group made up of writers, animators, producers and directors at the Walt Disney Studios) are recorded live at The Golden Horseshoe in Disneyland. Their performance the following day will also be recorded and eventually be released on Good Time Jazz Records.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 28

1951:
    Walt Disney's 13th animated film Alice in Wonderland is released in U.S. theaters by RKO Radio Pictures.

1998:
    Disney's first cruise ship The Magic, is christened.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

July 29

1999:
    Walt Disney World's Rock 'n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith opens with a special, invitation-only party, with Aerosmith as the guests of honor at Disney-MGM.

2000:
    To mark the first anniversary of the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Walt Disney World takes 80 Corvettes and forms the signature guitar in the Disney-MGM Studios parking lot.

2007:
    Disney's lavish Broadway musical Beauty and the Beast plays its final performance. The show debuted on April 18, 1994 at the Palace Theater.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Page 81 of 131 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast