Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast
General Disney Trivia and Games Discuss Disney Tidbits in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Fact of the Day for 8/24 Disney World covers 30,500 acres (or 46 square miles) - twice the size of the island of Manhattan, New York....
    tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly

Disney Tidbits

Fact of the Day for 8/24

Disney World covers 30,500 acres (or 46 square miles) - twice the size of the island of Manhattan, New York.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Great new topic, Bri!!

(You can also think about it this way - same size as the city of San Francisco)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Brian,

Thanks for the total acrage. I never knew it exactly. I also heard that last year they aquired 3000+ acres south of property somewhere. Supposed to be used for -natural rehab- or whatever.

If you use: 1 acre = 0.0015625 square miles, That is actually 47.65 sq miles.

Disney Fact of the Day

Fact of the Day for 8/25

Disney World's Cinderella Castle may appear 300 feet tall, but it only stands 185 feet high ... due to forced perspective it just looks huge.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy
    Fact of the Day for 8/25

Disney World's Cinderella Castle may appear 300 feet tall, but it only stands 185 feet high ... due to forced perspective it just looks huge.
    That's what I tell my wife about my stomach--forced perspective--it only looks huge.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Disney Fact of the Day

For August 26:

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs cost Disney over $1.5 million and nearly bankrupt the company.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    Part of the financing for Snow white came from "The Bank of Italy" later renamed Bank of America, which for many years had a branch on Main Street at Disneyland. I'm thinking they also sponsered IASW at Disneyland too in the 70's didn't they? Later BoA merged with NationsBank here in Charlotte NC, where the new Bank of America is headquartered now.

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Disney Fact of the Day

August 27

The petrified tree in Frontierland, along the banks of the Rivers of America, was an anniversary present that Walt gave to his wife, Lillian. She donated the tree to Disneyland, where it was given its spot overlooking the Rivers of America.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

When did Lillian pass away? I know Walt would run all his ideas by her for approval.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards

Thanks for that link Brian. Glad she got to see a bunch of the dream Walt had, even if it was a little different.

Disney Fact of the Day

August 28

When New Orleans Square was added in Disneyland, Walt Disney wanted to put in a private club at which he and other dues-paying members could entertain. nfortunately he was not able to see it completed, but the club was finished and is now a members only club that occupies much of the second floor of New Orleans Square. It is called Club 33 for its address, 33 Rue Royale (it's the only place in the park where alcohol is served). The membership fee is about $10,000 to start plus annual dues of $1800. There is a waiting list to become a member .... the average wait is four years.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerguy
    August 28

When New Orleans Square was added in Disneyland, Walt Disney wanted to put in a private club at which he and other dues-paying members could entertain. nfortunately he was not able to see it completed, but the club was finished and is now a members only club that occupies much of the second floor of New Orleans Square. It is called Club 33 for its address, 33 Rue Royale (it's the only place in the park where alcohol is served). The membership fee is about $10,000 to start plus annual dues of $1800. There is a waiting list to become a member .... the average wait is four years.
    We were told by our waitress at the Blue Bayou restaurant (which is just below Clubb 33) that she and the other waitstaff aren't even allowed up there. DH asked to go up to the balcony so he could get a better picture of the inside of Blue Bayou and the POTC ride and was denied.

BTW....New Orleans Square is my favorite area of Disneyland, definitely spent the most time there. Of course it helped that HM and POTC were located there....
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

dzneynut is offline Trivia Nut & Supplier of Games
    If you take the Walking in Walt's Footsteps tour at Disneyland you learn all about Club 33. You get to go inside the infamous door, take pictures of the lobby, elevator and stairwell. And you also go upstairs through the back way to the Disney Gallery and can take pictures there as well. It was a great tour!
    JamesD
    dzneynut@wdwradio.com

My DVD Profiler Collection

Future Disney Trips:
    Oct. 26-Nov. 2, 2013 staying at Beach Club Villas for my birthday and Food & Wine Festival!
    Nov. 2-9, 2013 for WDWRadio Cruise aboard the Disney Fantasy!

They let you take pics! Nice.

Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast