Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss WDW with visual disablities and guide dogs in the Vacation Planning forums; I just wanted to let everyone know that if you have any question or concerns about going to WDW with anyone with a visual impairment or a guide dog, I've ...
    LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

WDW with visual disablities and guide dogs

I just wanted to let everyone know that if you have any question or concerns about going to WDW with anyone with a visual impairment or a guide dog, I've been there several times with both of these so I can give you an idea at least of what to expect or answer any questions I can.

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    This is good to know. I was just talking to someone yesterday about guide dogs and Disney. While we don't have a dog, my kids want one and we joke the only way we are getting one is if it is a seeing eyed dog! We found that pushing the double stroller was a huge help to us. DH could hold on and not look so "obvious" with the cane out all the time. When the cane was out, though, for the most part, people were extremely helpful.

Did you use an audio tour at all? I can't remember if they have one or it was coming out. We are tentatively planning on going to WDW again next summer.

We did take full advantage of the handicaped pass, though, and that was fantastic!

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We didn't use the audio tour at WDW. I knew there was one but my father has hearing problems as well as the visual. He's been there several times and some when he still had his vision so he remembers a lot from that plus he still has a little vision in his left eye so he can still enjoy a lot that way.
    Hanging onto the stroller is a good idea too since you don't have a dog. Similiar pro's and con's to it.
    I really can't say enough about how good disney is with us and the dog (yes the dog in my avatar is the guide dog in question). The cast members were always keeping the dog in mind when it came to sounds on the rides that might frighten him or even smells (like Rome burning at Spaceship Earth) and at restaurants, even counter service, they'd ask if the dog needed anything.
    Please let me know if you have any other questions or theres anything I can help you with. We just got back on Feb 15 so everything is still pretty fresh in my mind.