Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Lactose problems in the Vacation Planning forums; Could anyone tell me if places in WDW that sell coffee, also have soya or rice milk. My DF is Lactose intollerant, and although its not as bad as people ...
    DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle

Lactose problems

Could anyone tell me if places in WDW that sell coffee, also have soya or rice milk. My DF is Lactose intollerant, and although its not as bad as people with allergies, a cup of coffee either has to be black (not how he enjoys it), or with regular milk that can give him stomach cramps for several hours.

Also, as we are from the UK and are not sure about shopping in florida for food and basic supplies (we are staying at a villa in Kissimmee), does anyone know how easy is it to find soya milk/margarine/cream etc at regular food stores ?

Thanks for any tips & advice x
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Here are some questions that get asked a lot about Dining at the Walt Disney World Resort. If you can't find the answer to your question, please call (407) WDW-MAGIC (939-6244)† or e-mail us.

Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

Also, there are plenty of soy-based products at FL grocery stores.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I don't know about soy milk at Disney dining establishments, but it is readily available in FL food stores. Disney should offer non-dairy creamer, such as "Coffee Mate", which I think a lactose-intolerant person can handle.

Margarine is also readily available in food stores (for now), but you have to be careful to read the label, because there are a lot of products in vogue right now that are blends of butter and margarine, because of the whole trans-fat fad. I don't know how Disney's approaching trans-fats, but as far as I know the only way to get something the texture of butter without using cream is by making it out of hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is trans-fat, so margarine may be difficult to find on property.

Emailing Disney is probably your best bet.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I am lactose intolerant as well, and when in doubt, I take a tablet that can be purchased in a grocery story or drug store. The product is called Lactaid. Just eat one before eating. No water is needed. You can buy them individually wrapped or in a bottle. US grocery stores also sell Lactaid milk, which we've been using for a number of years now. It may taste ever so slightly sweeter than regular milk, but my entire family drinks it or uses it on cereal. It's safe for everyone. The best part about Lactaid milk is that is stays fresher longer than regular milk.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I think Lactaid's effectiveness varies depending on how severely intolerant you are. My wife uses it and there are times when it makes the symptoms less than they otherwise would have been, but by no means prevents them entirely.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I agree. Lactaid does not always help me either. Butter seems to tear up my stomach no matter what; especially when food is cooked in it rather than part of the ingredients. Disneydreamer13 is in the UK, and Lactaid is not available here.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)
    Hi

I cant remember if there is a milk alternative in the parks but there are lots of places to go grocery shopping near WDW.

I would also suggest that you talk to the Resort you are staying at about renting a small refridgerator...they do rent them for length of stay...I am not sure of the current rental fee right now ..its been a while

Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)
    Hi

I cant remember if there is a milk alternative in the parks but there are lots of places to go grocery shopping near WDW.

I would also suggest that you talk to the Resort you are staying at about renting a small refridgerator...they do rent them for length of stay...I am not sure of the current rental fee right now ..its been a while
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

cherylp3 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Most of the resort stores have soy milk that you can buy in the refrigerators.
    I'm not a big coffee drinker but I don't think its available for coffee in the parks.
    (The only place that may have it is Kona cafe )

For grocery shopping: Your best bet is Publix.
    A great margarine is Earth Balance , also I like 8th continent soy milk.

Also most of the restaurants offer rice dream or an equivalent for desserts.

depending on your severity of intolerance, you may just want to say you have allergies.
    sit down is easier than counter service.

-Cheryl

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDreamer13 View Post
    Could anyone tell me if places in WDW that sell coffee, also have soya or rice milk. My DF is Lactose intollerant, and although its not as bad as people with allergies, a cup of coffee either has to be black (not how he enjoys it), or with regular milk that can give him stomach cramps for several hours.

Also, as we are from the UK and are not sure about shopping in florida for food and basic supplies (we are staying at a villa in Kissimmee), does anyone know how easy is it to find soya milk/margarine/cream etc at regular food stores ?

Thanks for any tips & advice x