Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Disney While Injured? in the Vacation Planning forums; I was unfortunate enough to injure myself this past Memorial Day. I slipped and fell at home. After a while I was able to get up and I was walking ...
    Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Disney While Injured?

I was unfortunate enough to injure myself this past Memorial Day. I slipped and fell at home. After a while I was able to get up and I was walking around (although in pain) a few minutes later. After the pain getting worse the next day, I decided to go to the ER. Turns out I broke my ankle.

I was sent to an Orthopedic Surgeon who said all I would need is to have my lower leg put in a cast for 5 weeks. If all goes well and my ankle has heeled correctly, I should be getting my cast taken of this Thursday. From what I've read online with people that have the same kind of break as I do, I'll probably be put in a walking boot for another 8 weeks.

Of course, we'll be going on vacation to Disney in about three weeks (we moved the vacation dates up to get an AP discount). I've never had to do Disney in a wheelchair, crutches, boot, or any form of immobility issues. Fortunately, we aren't really planning on doing any of the parks, we're mostly planning on haning out around the hotel, visiting other hotels, downtown disney and doing some of the cheap or free resort activities around the World.

I'm just curious if anyone else has been stuck doing Disney in a walking boot and what thier limitations were? I am going to be talking to my orthopedic seurgeon and asking him some things like wether its ok for me to go swimming, up stairs, how much I can walk around, ect. __________________
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    My sister broke her ankle before our trip in October 2006. She ended up going with us in a walking boot.
    We purposely stayed at PO-FQ because it is a small resort. Our travel agent made arrangements with Disney to have us on the first floor in the building closest to the bus stop. We actually had the room closest to the bus stop. We didn't end up using a wheelchair at the resort. She would use one crutch on the same side as the boot. It didn't bother her too much, other than she was a bit slow.

When we got to the park I would walk ahead of her and rent her a wheelchair, then we took turns pushing her everywhere. It was wonderful because our niece got to ride when her little feet were tired.

Disney is super accomodating when it comes to wheelchairs- much more accomodating than other guests, on occasion. She would get out of her chair and use a crutch to load on rides- rarely would they need to stop a ride for us.

If you are going to resort hop, the front desk at each hotel has wheelchairs, just ask for one. I would suggest taking a crutch as extra support, though. Her break was a really bad one, 3 plates and 9 pins and she managed just fine.

She would sometimes sit and rest if she had to walk too far- but we didn't need to do any steps. I can't answer the swimming part because none of us wanted to hang out at a swimming pool.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

lobaugo is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I actually broke my leg (sliding into second base) about 4 weeks before going to Disney World about...7 years ago. By that time, I was in a walking cast but there was no way I could have walked all around Disney in it, so my family rented a wheelchair back home so we didn't have to fuss with renting one everyday at the parks. Honestly, that was one of the best trips to Disney I have ever had. Older rides, like Big Thunder, you don't have to wait at all and the cast members there let me continually just ride the ride over and over again. Disney was extremely helpful and it was so nice returning to your room after a long day in the parks and not have your feet hurt! :]

I hope you have a great time at Disney and don't let a silly broken ankle ruin your time!!!

reubenco is offline A-Ticket holder
    Well, how did your vacation go?
    I sympathize-right now I'm on crutches for surgery on a torn meniscus (knee cartilage)
    But I think if you've got a Disney vacation booked, don't cancel for anything in the world!
    Stuck as far away from WDW as possible

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Well, I wasn't in a walking boot.... they decided to put me in a "walking cast". Its a lot more light weight and more "splint-like" than "cast-like". I could even be worn in a regular shoe, though I had to get a shoe almost five sizes bigger in order to get the splint to fit.

I didn't do much of the parks... we had planned on not doing much at the parks since we wanted to spend time at the resort. It was a lot more difficult/painful to walk than what I thought it would be, so I spent most of my time in the wheelchair. Unfortunately I couldn't go in the pool because the split couldn't get wet. I literally took my "first steps" after breaking my ankle at the Polynesian during vacation. I was so happy when I was able to walk from our room (which was in the Fiji building) all the way to the Great Ceremonial House with the assistance of crutches. I was so exhausted, but bound and determined that I was going to walk to Kona Cafe from our room. I actually credit this walk with a large part of my ankle rehabilitation.

Since then we have done Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom with me walking without the split (but still a light brace) and without crutches at all. I was absolutely dying after Animal Kingdom (my first park after breaking my ankle) but I felt very good after Magic Kingdom and felt that I could go around the park again.

My orthopedic surgeon decided not to send me to any sort of physical therapy, so going to Disney and me riding my stationary bike at home, was been the only sort of rehabilitation I've had. As far as getting my ankle back up to strength again, Disney is one of the best things I could have done.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter