Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Atrial Fibrillation in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi Guys, About 8 months ago my Dad was in the hospital for Atrial Fibrillation(afib). The doctor shocked his heart back to it's normal rythm and he is now on ...
    o0mercer0o is offline A-Ticket holder

Atrial Fibrillation

Hi Guys,
    About 8 months ago my Dad was in the hospital for Atrial Fibrillation(afib). The doctor shocked his heart back to it's normal rythm and he is now on medication. We are planning a trip to WDW possibly for the fall and i was wondering if he will be able to go on the roller coasters and Mission Space with his condition. He has always been a big fan of thrill rides and i think he will be really bummed if he has to go on the no spin version of Mission Space. I don't know all of the details of afib. I looked it up online but none of the sites say anything about going or not going on amusement rides. Does anyone else in this forum suffer from this condition or know some one that does? I realy don't want to have to rush my dad to the ER because i made him go on the Tower of Terror 5 times in a row.

Thanks
    Mike

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    For any and all medical concerns and riding any rides anywhere, I highly recommend having your father speak to his doctor and not relying on information posted online.

Personally, I have dealt with a few medical conditions, both mine and others, in the parks. I have not dealt with afib in the parks.

My rules of thumb are:
    1. Talk to you doctor
    2. Know your condition
    3. Know your limits
    4. Know how to treat
    5. Known how seek out treatment
    6. Know when to say "I don't think I should ride this today"

DH and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mission:Space, but there are times we both know one or both of us cannot ride it. We accept it and move on. We don't take a chance if we know we aren't feeling 100%. No ride is worth a trip to the ED.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Welcome to the boards!!!

P.S. If the doctor gives your dad the OK go for it.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

o0mercer0o is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'll have him check and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    THey said it before I could. Have him talk to his MD, and maybe tell the doc what goes on in the ride so he can know for sure if your Dad can go on them.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney