Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Low Vision? in the Vacation Planning forums; I have low vision and was wondering what Disney does to help guests who need good seating to watch things like parades, movies, fireworks, etc. With my vision, in a ...
    Lover_of_Disney is offline A-Ticket holder

Low Vision?

I have low vision and was wondering what Disney does to help guests who need good seating to watch things like parades, movies, fireworks, etc.

With my vision, in a theater setting, it is best for me to be in the front rows in the middle. When we've gone to Disney, we've tried to get in the right spot so that we don't have to be on one of the two ends, but we're still in the middle.

So, does Disney do anything to help guests who don't have the most spectacular vision?
    A dream is *WISH* your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Going to Disney this June of '10!

`~`A true Disney princes!`~`

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Low Vision?

What you may be able to do is, go to Guest Relations at any of the parks and they may be able to give you a guest assistance pass that you can use, which can also be used for the parades as well.

As for the shows, you can talk to the CM at the door or turnstile and let them know what you need and they should be able to help get you in the best place for you. Hope that this helps!
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

absolutely go to guest relations and get a guest assitance card. depending on exactly what your condition is, you might want to bring something along from a doctor just in case.

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)

First of all...

Get the GUEST ASSISTANCE PASS (GAP) !!!

This will let all castmembers (CM) know that you really the accomendations to need to sit up close...I also reccomend that you get the booklets for each park that tells what rides/attractions have special accomendations for those using the GAP and also where to go to get to the accomadations.

In terms of seating for parades/fireworks, there are various areas that are roped off for guests needed special assitance...It is first come first serve so I reccomend that you get there early so you can sit as close to the front of the area as possible. I reccomend that you stop by the Guest Services in each of the parks to varify parade times and the locations of these areas.

Any specific questions please dont hesiate to send me a private message ...or just ask it in the thread

KD <>< 8(

PS

When are you going??? 8(
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Quote Originally Posted by dizneluver View Post
    First of all...

Get the GUEST ASSISTANCE PASS (GAP) !!!

This will let all castmembers (CM) know that you really the accomendations to need to sit up close...I also reccomend that you get the booklets for each park that tells what rides/attractions have special accomendations for those using the GAP and also where to go to get to the accomadations.
    It's actually called the GAC at WDW (the Guest Assistance Card).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Lover_of_Disney is offline A-Ticket holder

We never thought that we could get the GAC. Thanks. =] Definitely will get a note from my eye doctor explaining about my nystagmus.

We're going in January. I know it seems silly to be asking about all this stuff now, but January of '10 is a heck of a lot closer than January of '11, when we would usually go, since we go every other year.

It's kind of funny, because we just went back in January, and now I've just gotten into all this WDW stuff (listening to Lou's show, buying one of Lou's books, looking up everything there is on the Internet about WDW ... does that sound stalkerish?) and my family is all like "Why are you doing this now, you're not going for nine months!" But for me it just stays the Disney hunger until January.
    A dream is *WISH* your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Going to Disney this June of '10!

`~`A true Disney princes!`~`

you're preaching to the choir!

NicW is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm so glad to have read this, one of the kids I watch has a degenerative eye disease and they are going in a couple of weeks and they had no idea about tihs.

Guests With Disabilities | Plain Text | Walt Disney World Resort

above is the link to the Disney Parks Guest With Disabilities website....on the top line you will see VISUAL DISABILITIES....click on that and it will take you the page that shows what the Parks offer for individuals with visual disabilities

hope this helps everybody!

Kelly D <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Deck 7 COOL KID

actually I take back the note from your dr comment. I read on another message board it's against the American Disability Act to question someone with a disability in regards to what exactly is wrong. Saying that you have vision problems should be enough for them , just tell them exactly what would help when you get the GAC.

Thumbs up Re: Low Vision?

LockShockBarrel is absolutely right about the ADA covering the fact that you shouldnt have to be asked about details concerning your disability when getting a GAC.

But I go ahead and recommend that people with special needs who may or may not be getting the GAC go ahead and get a note from the doctor when going to the Parks.

IMHO it will help with getting the GAC and God forbid that there has to be a visit to the ER while on their visit, the doctors treating the person in the ER can know exactly what is the person's issues are and how they are being treated by their doctor at home.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Also ...just a reminder that the things mentioned on this forum and in this thread in particular are just suggestions which may or may not be based on the post author's personal experience.

You as an individual know your situation the best and how comfortable you are with your situation and what it would take for you to have a great trip...
    So once you feel like you have all you need to make an informed decision it is up to YOU to decide how you are going to handle things.

Deck 7 COOL KID

KevinZ is offline B-Ticket Holder

My wife has low vision. We have not used guest assitance card, but should. My wife does bring her cain with. When she uses her cain, the Cast Members are tripping over themselves to help her. This type of customer service is one of the reasons we go back year after year! Can't say enough about the wonderful people that have made the difference during our stays!
    Kevin

WDWRadio Cruise : Deck 8 is great!
    "Almost there!"
    "Keep moving forward!"

lives4disney is offline A-Ticket holder

My 13 year old daughter has retinitis pigmentosa. Currently she has tunnel vision, blind spots in her central vision, and night blindness. We went in April and really had a difficult time getting a GAC. It wasn't our first awkward attempt. We've gotten to the point where we usually don't bother with the GAC. But I recently discovered WDW has this new device for visually impaired...I wish they would have offered it to us as an option in April. Good luck and enjoy your trip. Most CMs have been beyond WONDERFUL with my daughter. We've been going to WDW for years and it has been mostly magical.

I tried to post a link to the device and wasn't allowed...this is my first post...if you google it, you can find it. It's interesting!

Lives4Disney