Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss panic disorder! in the Vacation Planning forums; hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone has experience managing panic disorder at disney, even overcoming. I have developed this, including ride claustrophobia recently. Last two trips i could not ...
    Wonderland16 is offline A-Ticket holder

panic disorder!

hey everyone. I was wondering if anyone has experience managing panic disorder at disney, even overcoming.

I have developed this, including ride claustrophobia recently. Last two trips i could not make myself go on any of the rides, which makes me so sad because i love them. I want to get back on them.

I know you can get a special needs card if lines give you panic attacks, is there anything else? i.e. do rides stop if someone has an hyperventilation problem during the ride?
    In a world of my own.......

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: panic disorder!

I feel for you, I am claustrophobic and it does affect how I do certain rides at Disney, I have an old thread about it (several years back). When I start feeling that closed in feeling I start getting overheated, so I carry one of those little portable fans around and when I get that closed in feeling I just turn on the fan and close my eyes and try to visualize an open space or a comfort zone. I hate the feeling and I don't know how to overcome it short of a couple martini's, but that usually doesn't work to well in a hot park where you are on your feet all day. Are there certain rides that really freak you out? If so I would try to catagorize them and start slow. Go on the ones you know you can do and maybe try 1 that puts you in a semi panic and keep going on it till you feel comfortable, then tackle one ride at a time. I have chosen for it not to take over my life, though it does get in the way at times. Let me know if you find any other solutions.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Wonderland16 is offline A-Ticket holder

thank you so much for your reply! the longer, the worse i panic about going on it. I can do the short simple rides like peter pan and snow white, winnie, etc. Its like reverting back to when i was too short to ride any others. I'm definitely going to try and start small, take my meds to calm down prior. Ive also been trying to use youtube to desensitize, watching ride throughs. Really, thanks again. Its nice to know im not the only one. I looove disney, and it just breaks my heart everytime i turn around at the loading dock.
    In a world of my own.......

catywamp is offline B-Ticket Holder

I know this is an old thread but I had to comment. My Partner and I both have anxiety disorders but find ourselves very comfortable at the parks. We went on our Honeymoon, and then 2 months later with my family. I have been several times from childhood through adulthood, he had never been. I find the parks to be a very controlled environment and it puts me at ease. I get in the state of mind that this is Disney and there is nothing that could happen that they don't already have a plan for. everything there is so planned out that I don't feel out of control. That's why I chose WDW for our trips, because I knew he could relax too. I'm never comfortable around strangers but at WDW, I'm chatting it up with everyone in line and on the bus. i just wonder if other people find their anxiety more at ease in the parks.
    "The Mad cannot Explain, Just As The Sane Cannot Comprehend"