Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Guests with Special Needs Discuss So, rather than me writing about random topics..... in the Vacation Planning forums; What questions do you all have about doing Disney with Special Needs?...
    MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle

So, rather than me writing about random topics.....

What questions do you all have about doing Disney with Special Needs?
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Do you as a special needs individual feel that you are missing out at all on any of the attractions?

I know one time my step-grandfather (i guess that's what you'd call him) came along with us, and although he could walk fine for reasonable distances, a full day at MK was a long one for him, so we pushed him around in a wheelchair. I don't remember most of the attractions that day, but one thing I do remember is when we went on the Haunted Mansion. They (CMs) brought us in through the exit and through some alternate entrance where we were able to hop right into our doom buggies, so that the chair would be waiting for him where we got off. I was disappointed however, because I felt like we missed half the fun. There was no reading the tombstones , watching the painting age and decay, or watching the gallery stretch... it was the sit-down part only.

I don't remember any other situations where something like that occurred off the top of my head. But do you ever feel like you are missing out on some significant part of any of the attractions?
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Yes, we occasionally do....

Especially at things like Cinderellabrations where there is not any handicapped seating. Most ppl stand in front of our wheelchairs.

I can't go and take my dd on a ride if DH wants to ride something else...we are stuck without him as the "pusher"

Many store aisles are too narrow for us or things are too high up to see.

Many restaurants have seating so close together that we can't get in

On the other hand...

the CM's really go out of their way to make sure we still get the "magic" for instance we went to Lights, Motors, Action first thing in the morning to get out fast pass a few weeks ago. There was no one there yet. In the Queue you get to go past big windows that open up on the garage there. The CM at the gate took us back and gave us a personal tour since we wouldn't get to see it in line.

We do get to do more than most ppl do in a day because our wait times are shorter (especially if we are using the wheelchair cars)

Since we go so often, the CM's all know us and really fawn over MJ

and last but not least...compared to other "wheelchair accessible" places, WDW is tops...it is one of the few places that DD and I can do almost everything even if there are things we miss out on.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    That's really neat. Only twice have I ever attended WDW with someone in a wheelchair. Once when my step-grandfather came with us, and once when my dad fractured his hip (he actually did that during the trip... ouch!). And like I said, I really didn't notice too much of a difference (except that instance where we missed out on the beginning of the HM. Other than that, I learned that my dad is really heavy to be pushing around AK, haha.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty when I realize that I'm enjoying something that might not be accesible to someone with a certain disability, knowing that they can't really know what I am feeling. So I'm very happy for you and MJ in this case, to hear how well Disney and the CMs treat you. I guess that's all part of what makes WDW the happiest place on Earth!

-Don-

Well, hopefully you can meet us and we can show you all the wonders of The World with Special Needs! We love to meet friends and families at The World!

Will do... See you on Friday?
    -Don-

Yeah! You gonna be there?

Just need to gas up the car, check the tire pressure, cash a check to line my pocket a little (Disney's a bit expensive)... and I'll be hitting the road running on Friday morning! Look out Mickey!:mickey:
    -Don-

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by MommytoMJM
    What questions do you all have about doing Disney with Special Needs?
    Hi MommytoMJM I recently went on all ears.net and read a report on a gentlemen who happens to be in a wheelchair and his new wife who just got finished visiting WDW and I thought you might be interested in reading it. He apparently gets groups of people together with special needs and travel to Disney. I thought since you and your daughter are both in wheelchairs that you might be intrested and getting in touch with him and probaly join his group one time. Also maybe he can offer some tips and as well as you offering him some of your tips. Even though no one in my family has special needs I kind of know somewhat of what you have to deal with as far as you having to be in a wheelchair and visiting the parks,you see I just had foot surgery in October of 2003 and when we went to visit to the park in May of 2004 my foot swell up so bad I couldn't walk. Now you would think by May my foot would be heal how wrong I was I still have a steel ***** in my toe and the combination of wearing the wrong shoes in the park cause my foot to swell to a point I couldn't walk for two days while we're there. So I had to rent a wheelchair just to get around and it was really hard for me t transfer to some of the rides because I couldn't walk and couldn't move myself on some of the seats. This happen again in November of the same year when I went back with my just my boyfriend only problem was both my foot and leg swelled up causing me once again to have to rent a wheelchair for couple of days. Apparently according to my doctor this probaly will happen again until I get the ***** out of the toe and I'm going back down this October for Halloween just me and my girls with no one else so I will probaly get the motor scooter if it happens so my girls don't miss out because of me and neither one can't push me.So I have a lot of respect for individuals who do have special needs and applaud you and your daughter for going to the parks and not letting it stop you.I know my foot and leg problem is very petty but at least I can understand the hard time you have to go through just to get around a busy park and some dumb guess that doesn't think it fair for speical needs people and their families to get on rides first. Trust me I have spoken up a few time when I was out of the chair and walking to some guess to just shut up and have some compassion and understanding for people with hanicapps and that they will get on the ride soon enough.Even when I'm in the chair I either get out and bear the pain of standing in line or just don't go on the ride because I feel I don't have a real handicap and it not fair to a person who does have a special needs and since my problem is not permanment I can bear the pain for a few minutes just to ride. But anyway I really hope this gentlemen report and link help you out somewhat and maybe you and your daughter could meet more families that understand your situtaion and you could me up with them. Let me know what you think and I hope this help.
    Hey maybe we could meet you guys someday soon my kids love anybody and they espically love little kids (there 7 &11)so your daughter would have a ball with my girls. Let me know if you two are going back any time this October or May next year I would have no prob.hanging with you guys.

Sorry for going on and on I just really enjoy helping people.

http://allearsnet.com/pl/mev_chet9.htm
    Last edited by JEDIPRINCESS; 04-18-2005 at 02:16 PM.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

I love Chet's articles! I have read them and in fact am working on articles as we speak for AllEars myself!

We'd love to get together with you and your girls. MJ LOVES other kids and unfotunately doesn't have a lot of firneds because of her disabilities. Sigh. So we would love to spend as much time together as you like.

One of my issues is that I have neuromas (had surgery for one set and another grew, not having it again) and I had bunion surgery and have a ***** in my foot too, ick, I totally empathize with you!

I want to encourage you to NOT try to get out and stand in line, altho your disability is temporary, it is real, please use hte chair, get yourself a Guest Assistance Card and USE it. That is what they are there for!

As far as scooters, if you are going for any length of time at all, consider renting from Walker or another local rental comapny that way you can take it anywheere on property, they have better battery life and it is cheaper.

Let me know when you will be here in October, we will try to sepnd as much time with you as you would like. We live here so we can go anytime.

I am so glad you came over here!

peterpan1106 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi MommytoMJ:

I am doing a Disney trip with my handicapped aunt (she has cerebral palsy and now must use a wheelchair most of the time) and my mother (who can't walk the distances because of age) -- so I'm renting them both electric scooters.

My children and I returned from Disney on Sunday and we were watchful for rides that Mickey (yes, that's her name -- and she was born the same year as Mickey -- my grandmother had a sense of humor) can go on. You referenced a special assistance guest card? Is this something we get at Guest Services?

I've already made arrangements with the hotel for a special needs refrigerator (my mom is also diabetic) -- what other tipsi can you share that will make this visit for Mickey wonderful. By the way, she also has a mental handicap but is a delightful 77 year old -- and very young at heart, so I know she'll keep her eye out for Mickeys everywhere!
    Back to Disney for Super Soap Weekend!

Hey there! I sent you a PM with information!

peterpan1106 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi!

Thanks so much for all your help! I know that we're going to make this a very special birthday trip for our Mickey.
    Back to Disney for Super Soap Weekend!

arynn2005 is offline A-Ticket holder
    MommytoMJM I am in a electric wheelchair and going to WDW. I went before with make a wish but don't remember much. Are most of the rides accissable and will the Safari ride in AK make my back sore?
    Last edited by arynn2005; 05-02-2005 at 08:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by arynn2005
    MommytoMJM I am in a electric wheelchair and going to WDW. I went before with make a wish but don't remember much. Are most of the rides accissable and will the Safari ride in AK make my back sore?
    Hi Arynn-

I am not sure what the condition is that you are in the chair for, but I can tell you that almost every event in WDW is handicapped accessible. There are a few that you may need to transfer to a manual chair for, there are also ones that you need to transfer into the ride vehicle for or have someone who can transfer you (as my husband does with our daughter) The two things that I haven't been able to do are Tom Sawyer Island and the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. Primeval Whirl was wicked on my back, Astro Orbiters is tough, Indy Speedway is also hard for me. I haven't had problems with the Safari ride, but you could always take a pillow with you to cushion your back. I have extensive info on each ride and how to get on, but before I type it all out I will ask if you want it!

Depending on when you are here, we would love to meet with you. Please let me know if you need anything or I can be of any help whatsoever. It is my goal to make sure that ppl with disabilities have the easiest time possible at WDW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast