Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss GAC or not? in the Vacation Planning forums; I haven't been to WDW for 30 years and we are planning our first family trip for Christmas. Our 7 year old boy has severe apraxia, which is a motor ...
    podgirl is offline A-Ticket holder

GAC or not?

I haven't been to WDW for 30 years and we are planning our first family trip for Christmas. Our 7 year old boy has severe apraxia, which is a motor planning problem, as well as an overall developmental delay. He's been on rides before at fairs and such and does require a little help getting off rides that he and his younger brother do together. In your opinion would this warrant getting a GAC? Or, do parents go on the kiddie type rides with their kids? I'm thinking of rides like 'The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh' and 'Dumbo the Flying Elephant'.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!

Re: GAC or not?

Parents definitely ride Pooh and Dumbo with their kids (and sometimes even without them )

I've only had a little experience with the GAC, but we were able to request and receive one quickly at Guest Relations.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Thanks. Would you say that in general parents go on all the rides with their kids then?

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder

I think it is an extreme rarity to have parents not go on rides with kids. While I was working down there I can only think of one or two times where there were kids going on Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh without their parents.
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(

my brother and i are well into our teens and im almost pushing twenty and our parents still ride peter pan and dumbo with us! cast memembers have always been helpful with my handicapped grandfather for instance when it comes to assistance on and off rides!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

I am a parent of five, ranging in age from 20 to 6 year old twins, and I ride with them, and sometimes without them. It is especially fun and exciting to see their faces when they are doing and seeing all the magic for the first time. You could get the GAC just in case, but I would still encourage you to ride with your children. Great pictures, videos and MEMORIES that you will cherish forever.

I always ride and enjoy Pooh, and have often ridden Dumbo with them when they were in the age range of your children. Dumbo, the Flying Carpets of Alladin and Astro Orbiter would be about the only rides that come to my mind where parents would ride with their children less than half the time. Just explain your situation to the CM's and they will assist you in any manner.

Remember there are no kiddie rides at Disney, as when at Disney, we are all kids!!!!!
    Go and have a blast.
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

you'll be able to ride anything you want with the kiddies. my advice is if you're at all worried about how things will be handled with regards to the rides, get a GAC, better to have it and have the peace of mind than be worried at every ride you go to.

little grammy is offline Fastpass Holder

You can even ride Barnstormer in Toon Town if you want to tackle a more "vigorous" ride.
    "MagicMeets" Attendee 2006, '07, '08 and '09

"D23 EXPO" Attendee 2009

First Time Cruiser--- Disney Dream
    Feb. 2011 Deck 7 #7186

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

"Kiddie rides" is a misnomer started by the likes of a few bloggers who are afraid to ride attractions (like Dinosaur) and want an excuse for not getting on. I've been to WDW 62 times since July 5, 2008. I've been on one ride with a small child. The rest of the time, I've been with other adults or by myself. The only thing that keeps me from going on more rides in Fantasyland are the long lines. Probably the only activities that are specifically for kids are Pirate Training and the Jedi Training Academy; neither of which are rides. Go. Ride. Enjoy.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Thanks for the answers. We'll definitely go on the rides with the boys.

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)

Talking Re: GAC or not?

I would get it just in case he needs it...and just because you get it doesnt mean you have to use it ...but it would be a pain if you didnt have it and then all the sudden needed it He can also use the GAC to access entrances where they stop rides for people who need extra time getting on and off rides....and just so you know Castmembers are not supposed to assist guests on and off rides.

I also reccomend the Park Guides for Guests with Special Needs ...each park has one and it will help you know what the GAC can get for you and the Passporter Book WDW for Your Special Needs...they renamed it but I cant remember what its called now ...they list every ride and what kind of seating arrangements the rides have....its a great resource to read in advance so he can know what each rides are and he (and you) can decide in advance what rides you want to ride (passporter.com)

Any other questions please dont hesitate to send me a private message

HAVE FUN!!!

KD <>< 8(
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

If he has a little trouble getting on and off rides you might want to get the card for rides they are constantly moving like the TTA, the Haunted Mansion, and The Seas.