Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Am I crazy? Disney with 2 ADHD kids and a 2 yr old in the Vacation Planning forums; My family is taking a trip to WDW this Sept for 6 days, staying at Pop Century. We will be taking our 3 boys, ages 6 yrs, almost 4 yrs, ...
    bullockfamily5 is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Am I crazy? Disney with 2 ADHD kids and a 2 yr old

My family is taking a trip to WDW this Sept for 6 days, staying at Pop Century. We will be taking our 3 boys, ages 6 yrs, almost 4 yrs, and 2 yr old. The 2 oldest have ADHD with ODD... our 6 yr old is on meds which I was hesitant to try but have been a great help! The 4 yr old however is extremly hard to handle. He is an extreme example of hyperactivity and daily life is a challenge with him.

This is not his 1st trip to Disney (we took the 2 older ones in Nov 2008) but only for 2 days. We seemed to have a very difficult time waiting in lines for rides- he had no patience for the sometimes long waits and it was hard to keep him from bothering others around him. My question is: does Disney accomodate for concerns like ADHD in any way? I read somewhere that you could get a GAC to allow you to wait in another area for the ride? (Not skip the line, but wait someplace where the kids can't bother everyone else with their yelling and fighting and even touching other people in line.)
    Or am I just totally crazy for attempting a 6 day trip with two ADHD kids and a 2 year old?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Am I crazy? Disney with 2 ADHD kids and a 2 yr old

I think you will be fine for 6 days. With the longer trip, you can spend mornings and evenings inthe parks, but play in the pool or another activity to help break up the day and let the boys burn off energy.

SnwhtNdwrfs is online now Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I think you would need to contact Guest Relations to find out. A few phone calls might well be worth it. There must be someone who can give you the information you are requesting.

Enjoy your trip.

disney_freak is offline is supercalifragilisticexpia lidocious

I think you will be ok,
    theres so much to do at any Disney park/hotel that they will be able to not only burn off engery but keep themselves entertained.

and I have heard that there is something that your doctor can sign that can let you skip the line or wait in a seperate room (I know this is true for Autism) Just ask your kids doctor about it and call Disney to find out more info on it.
    Faith is my name, disney is my...obsession

Since Pluto is no longer a planet. I think Mickey should be the new one.

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)

yes your trip sounds like a daunting one but I think it is totally doable with a little help

First of all I HIGHLY reccommend that you pursue getting GUEST ASSISTANCE PASS for your length of stay. They will help you get shorter waits in lines at all four parks...the Guidebooks for Guests with disabilities will tell you exactly what you can get with the pass ...there is one avaliable for each park.

Also would like to reccomend KIDS NITE OUT (KNO) to you. They are contracted with Disney to provide in room child care...they also provide PARENT HELPERS while you are in the park. Unfortuately, you would have to pay for the Helper's addmission to the parks while he/she is working for you on top of the hourly rate....but IMHO to have an extra set of eyes, ears and hands while you are in the parks would be VERY worth it!

You can reach Kids Nite Out via their website....KIDSNITEOUT.COM

and if you decide to make a reservation to use one of their Parent Helpers please be very specific about the challenges you face as a family so they can place the most appropriate care giver with your family.

Hope this helps...

if you have any other questions please feel free to send me an email... kdizne@gmail.com

TTFN
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID