Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Guests with Special Needs Discuss Chronically Ill and Headed to WDW in the Vacation Planning forums; I am currently very ill with chronic lyme disease. It is so bad right now that I have been mostly bedridden for the past several months. In August we will ...
    mommy2allgirls is offline A-Ticket holder

Chronically Ill and Headed to WDW

I am currently very ill with chronic lyme disease. It is so bad right now that I have been mostly bedridden for the past several months. In August we will be going to WDW with my whole family. I have gone in my wheelchair before and know how to get around the world in that regards but due to the treatment I am on I am worse before I get better. It is a lot like Chemo. Anyways, any tips for doing the World while ill? WDW is my favorite place in the world and I can't wait to go but have no idea how I am going to do it so ill. I have no idea if I made sense with this post, part of my illness causes brain fog and stuff so I can't always get out what I want to say. I want to make sure I canmake this trip special for my 4 children who have been through a lot since I have been sick.
    Casey

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Chronically Ill and Headed to WDW

While we have several members with medical backgrounds here, check also over at

All Ears-they have some real good info

PassPorters threads have a special thread that is also very detailed.
    I believe they also have a book or a section of which that goes into
    various details.

Hope you are starting to feel a bit stronger by your trip.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Although, unfortunately, I have no tips or info for you...

All the prayers and pixie dust the world can spare to you and your family, so that you feel much better for a GREAT trip, and for many years beyond that!

Thank you very much!
    Casey

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)

Casey...

Praying that your lyme disease goes into remission quickly and definitely before you go on your trip in Aug.

I mentioned the Passporter's book in the other thread you started and since somebody mentioned AllEars.net as a good resource in this thread , I just wanted to let you know that Deb Willis ...who runs AllEars is one of the authors of the guide book

Again if you have any other questions please dont hesitate to ask!

TTFN :
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

Thank you all so much! You all are so kind! Disney magic is everywhere!
    Casey

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Quote Originally Posted by ahrdlick View Post
    DON'T GO IF YOU'RE SICK! Simple as that
    Wow, aren't you a ray of sunshine! You don't need to be so rude. I hope you realize this thread was started a year ago, right?
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Deliberate, I suspect

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I have a feeling Disney makes people feel better. Why else would MAW/GKTW/ect kids choose to go to Disney for their wish
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I have a feeling Disney makes people feel better. Why else would MAW/GKTW/ect kids choose to go to Disney for their wish
    I think you're right. I've posted before that my wife suffers from Ankylosing Spondilitus and the 16 hour drive is a nightmare for her but she says getting to the park makes it all worth it. The long park days aren't any better on her but she refuses to not go. We'll see how she feels on our trip in July!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)

I have seen Disney Magic really help individuals living with chronic illnesses/disabilities blossom in ways not ever imagined by their loved ones.

As a former Make A Wish volunteer, I have witnessed first hand the way the magic of a wish (esp a Disney wish) has helped those children and families have a will to press on in life.

For me personally WDW has always been a place for me to get a way from the reality of life as a child living with undiagnosed ADHD (I recieved my diagnosis when I was 33) and as an adult it is still a place where I can get away and let my inner child "Fred" out to play 8( (even when I am not visiting the parks) 8(
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

johnatthebar is offline C-Ticket Holder

If you are experiencing neuroborreliosis or other neuro complications from the chronic nature of your particular case the biggest issue will likely be fatigue (as I am sure you well know by now). The aggravating factor on your trip will be the heat and possibly also some peripheral issues from being in a chair for so long. That being said I'd think the key would be lots of water, perhaps mixed with 25-50% electrolyte drink (gatorade, etc), and occasionally getting up and walking, even short distances if able.

Of course talk to your doctor about everything before taking my advice, as I am confident you will. Also keep in mind that there are first aid stations in each park staffed with nurses, medications, etc. When in doubt, don't try to be a hero, flag down a CM and Reedy Creek Emergency Services will be happy to help, they have MARC (medical assistance rescue units) in the parks that are there for the immediate needs of guests.

Lastly, depending on your constitution and luck, if you are having any food sensitivities second to your treatment regiment, keep in mind that on property restaurants are good about having information available as to exactly what is in the food, and make accommodations where possible.

Oh, one more - if in a line (or waiting for the kids) you can always ask a CM to help find you a place to wait that is in the shade, less crowded etc. If waiting for an attraction they can help accommodate you by allowing you to wait in line without actually being in line. Be sure to ask though, even if a shady, secluded area isn't immediately visible, they will try and find some way to help. Let the CM's know the nature of your restrictions at guest services when entering the park, and they can help accommodate you further.

Most of all, feel better and have fun.