Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Guests with Special Needs Discuss big people problems in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by the7thAve yeah, she definitely is! but she knows I love her. and even though I'm only joking with her, I know too much of it can still ...
    SecondStar is offline Why is the rum gone?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve
    yeah, she definitely is! but she knows I love her. and even though I'm only joking with her, I know too much of it can still be hurtful, I'm not THAT insensitive! so I lay off of her MOST of the time.

Except on forum boards!!
    : Stephanie:

this is what dreams are made of

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Pooh sized people are people too!!!

On another note, I have ridden POTC with a LOT of heavy ppl and the boat never got stuck or bottomed out, I am sure it was a rdie malfunction and not a weight issue.
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by MommytoMJM
    Pooh sized people are people too!!!

On another note, I have ridden POTC with a LOT of heavy ppl and the boat never got stuck or bottomed out, I am sure it was a rdie malfunction and not a weight issue.
    ITA Bonny. I could have written every word you just wrote. I too have ridden POTC with people much larger than I am w/o incident many times.

And to add to the POTC boat getting stuck, I seem to recall the DL version had more steep inclines than it's WDW sister. And when I was in DL, they really packed those boats full to keep the line moving. And I never saw the boat getting stuck or bottoming out...

The only size problem I can see with POTC is when CMs like to stick 5 adults in one row or 4 large adults in one row...then it be cramped. Other than that, I never felt POTC was an issue for pooh sized folks.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    it probably was a ride malfunction, but I have a hard time believing it was just a coincidence that some very large folks were on board. their weight may have caused the malfunction(?)

when we were kids my dad was quite large, as were various other members of my family, but we still all crammed into the same boat so we could ride together. we never had any problems then, so yeah, it was more than likely something wrong with the ride... not the folks. nevertheless, they were embarrassed and felt like it was their fault.

If we can dream it, we can do it

That is too bad, I feel for them.......My husband is quite large and at other parks we have waited in long lines only to find he didn't fit, so I empathize....
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)

Pooh sized people are people too!
    sorry if anyone took my teasing my sister wrong. I definitely have nothing against large people (as I get older I am getting slower and slower, which inevitably leads to Pooh-ness). I tease my sister about everything she does, and she does the same to me. please don't mistake my innocent sibling rivalry for any kind of prejudice. yo ho? yo ho!

No harm done! I am probably just snesitive to it because of my DH!

Quote Originally Posted by MommytoMJM
    No harm done! I am probably just snesitive to it because of my DH!
    woot!
    ...and I think I would punch anyone who made fun of my sister other than me! ha!

mickaholic4077 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I'm glad that you are only joking,but it really seemed insensitive to me.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Ok, this thread seems to have been dead for a few months (like... 5 of them actually), but I did have a little something to add. I'm a fairly small guy (5'8, 148 on a good day), so I never had any trouble on any of the rides and therefore size being a factor never even crossed my mind until just last fall when I dragged a buddy of mine on his first WDW trip. He's not Pooh sized at all... quite the opposite in fact. Remember back a few pages when Joey (Tampa) joked "I'm 6'5 160 and tend to fall out of Big Thunder on drops?" Well, that is about how my friend is built too, although not quite as extreme (he's about 2 inches shorter than Joey). And although I never thought being tall and skinny would present size issues, apparently it did because my friend had complaints about the shoulder restraints in Rock 'n' Rollercoaster and the leg room/lap bar restrain in Space Mountain.

Apparently because of his lankiness, the shoulder restraints on RnRC, when pulled all the way down onto his shoulders as far as they would go, the crossbar of the restraint (the part that goes across your chest in front) sat several inches (like 8 or 9 i guess) away from his chest, making it so that he really was held inside the limo by his shoulder blades. He said that as cool as the ride was, and as much as he wanted to enjoy it, he just coulnd't because he felt like it was not designed well for someone of his size.

On Space Mountain, he sat in the front seat thinking it might present him more space for his loooong legs. Turns out that once he got in front he discovered that even with his feet as far forward as he could get them, his knees were still bent pretty sharply, and the lap bar never really came any further up on him than just over mid thigh because of how he was awkwardly sitting. Looking at this in hindsight now, he probably should have sat behind me so he could have placed his legs on either side of my seat. He might have fit better that way. But the entire way down that track, every time we would come up to a sudden climb or descent I could hear "Ow...ow... ow..." coming from the seat in front of me because he was being jerked around by not much more than a bar across his thighs.

Though his dimensions did not prevent him from riding anything, they did make a few of his rides uncomfortable. I hope maybe this can be of some use to someone.

Oh, and as a last sidenote, my roommate, my girlfriend, and myself have also discovered that it is inadviseable to try and sit 3 to a doombuggy in the Haunted Mansion, or 3 across in one row of a honeypot in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. That is, unless you enjoy sitting on your friends' posteriors as well as your own.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Glad to see this thread pop back up.

I really don't have too many troubles at Disney, being a big girl myself. Although being tall does have issues......space mtn can be rough on the knees! Ride RocknRollercoaster in the front seat and you will have tons of leg room.
    I was wondering if anyone of big stature had ridden EE yet? Could anyone tell me how those seats are?
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    I've ridden EE, but like i said, I border on small, not big. I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to the restraints or anything, but I know that there was more than plenty enough room (or at least it seemed so to me) in the seat and leg areas.

Sidenote... One place i do wish more room was offered on EE though was in the little pouch they give you to secure your belongings. i always travel with my backpack, and although I did eventually get my backpack in the pouch, it took a good degree of fighting with it to just barely make it. I was afraid I was going to have to just put my foot through the straps like I have to do on RnRC. I've never had trouble fitting my bag in other newer attracions like Mission:Space and Soarin', so i was kind of supprised to have this issue on Everest. I guess I just need to pack a little lighter next time I go to DAK with the intention of riding Everest.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I can completely relate to this topic. Seems I've always got to argue with someone when I just want to spend an evening in the plastic ball pit at Discovery Zone.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    I can completely relate to this topic. Seems I've always got to argue with someone when I just want to spend an evening in the plastic ball pit at Discovery Zone.
    amen to that, brother

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRain
    Glad to see this thread pop back up.

I really don't have too many troubles at Disney, being a big girl myself. Although being tall does have issues......space mtn can be rough on the knees! Ride RocknRollercoaster in the front seat and you will have tons of leg room.
    I was wondering if anyone of big stature had ridden EE yet? Could anyone tell me how those seats are?
    I am definately Pooh-sized (maybe why I relate to the Silly 'Ol Bear so well) and I saw an article on All Ears.net on EE. Hope this helps!
    http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/ak/ak_ee5.htm

I for one, can't wait to give it a try!!!!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast