Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Guests with Special Needs Discuss big people problems in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by astein Does anybody know if they have seatbelt extensions for rides? if so, which ones. I would love to do soarin' but afraid I won't fit in ...
    lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by astein View Post
    Does anybody know if they have seatbelt extensions for rides? if so, which ones. I would love to do soarin' but afraid I won't fit in seat.
    I'm over 300 pounds and 5'2" tall, I love soarin and I fit great in the seat!!! Never had any trouble at all, just before you sit down pull the seat belt out then sit and buckle! easy as that!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Bringing this thread back to life....,

I guess the only ride I'm worried about is the Tea Cups, I really want to be with my (2yr old) daughter. I read on "all ears" someone said its a tight squeeze for someone carrying their weight in the middle. I only have about a month to go and I don't think I'll be losing enough weight by then, thats for sure.

Can someone let me know before I go down there and embarrass myself trying to squeeze in. I had a real upsetting episode at 6 Flags a couple of years ago with a group of friends and just wanted to die, in front of a line of 100's of people which we stood in line for an hour.
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

bigpoohbear is offline A-Ticket holder

Big Pooh Bear

Big Pooh Bear here...5'4 and 365 pounds...big tummy, chest, butt, hips...what's a big pooh bear girl to do?

Going with my sons for their first trip to Disney World and do not want to embarrass them...or me, to be perfectly honest.

Leaving tomorrow night, so a little late to start that diet.

So glad I found this site and forum.

So, what should I stay away from, due to my size? Rides, turnstiles?

Please no abbreviations for rides as I do not know what they mean.

By the way, I do have to use the seat belt extender on the airplanes.

Thanks from the bottom of my big pooh bear heart!:O)

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Welcome to the boards, bigpoohbear!

Disney is very good at accommodating people of all sizes. There are a few places with old turnstiles that are tight - Haunted Mansion comes to mind, but you can probably ask to be let in the handicap entrance - just speak to the cast member at the line. Many of the attractions have test vehicles in an off-to-the-side and out-of-public-view location, so that if you're not sure you'd fit comfortably on an attraction you can ask to test it out beforehand.

A great resource for you is on All Ears Net: WDW At Large - One Size Does Not Fit All! There are many helpful links on the left side of that page as well. If you have time, I highly recommend their Passporter's WDW for your Special Needs book.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I just came back, and rode everything, except the Mad hatter Tea cups., I knew that was gonna be a tough one. Had no other problems on any ride. The Muppets 3D seats are really tight squeeze. (wish they'd change them to bench seats. In restarants ask for seats with no arms, and a table not a booth.
    I too need the seat belt extanders in the airplane.
    Let us know when you get back.
    Have a great time!

Welcome to the boards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

bigpoohbear is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank you!

disneydame2004 and GoofyGuy,

Thank you for the warm welcome, the replies, and the encouragement. Less than 12 house until I leave for our vacation and I am getting more and more excited each minute!

Before I found this forum, I was so sad that I was not going to be able to ride any of the rides with my family, but now I can say that I am going to try *most* of them. :o)

I went over to All Ears Net and printed everything to read on the drive to Florida (from Arkansas.)

I will be back about 1/7/2009 and will come back here to let you all know how it went.

Again, a great big thank you!!!

bigpoohbear

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Glad to help! Drive safe and have a great trip!!!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by GoofyGuy View Post
    I just came back, and rode everything, except the Mad hatter Tea cups., I knew that was gonna be a tough one. Had no other problems on any ride.
    It has been a while since I have looked at this thread. I am so glad you had such a good time on your trip!

Bigpoohbear -
    I can't wait to hear about your trip! I am sure you will have a fantastic time!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by GoofyGuy View Post
    I just came back, and rode everything, except the Mad hatter Tea cups., I knew that was gonna be a tough one. Had no other problems on any ride. The Muppets 3D seats are really tight squeeze. (wish they'd change them to bench seats.
    You know, I actually thought of that in Disneyland the last time. I thought I sat down wrong at first...

Mad Tea Party is a VERY tight squeeze for me, the last time I did it but with me dropping some weight, I might try it again. Typically the dark rides like Pinocchio's Daring Journey and Alice In Wonderland in Disneyland seem to be a tight fit too for some reason.
    AllAbouttheMouseketeer #224-Michael K. from Buckeye, Arizona

Stays at Walt Disney World
    July 1995: Shades of Green
    April 2000: All Star Sports (Baseball)
    March 2001: All Star Music (Rock)
    January 2006: All Star Movies (Mighty Ducks)
    May 2006: Saratoga Springs (Congress Park)
    March 2007: Saratoga Springs (Paddock)
    August 2007: Port Orleans: French Quarter
    June 2008: Saratoga Springs (Springs)

August 2009: Saratoga Springs

Stays at Disneyland
    May 2008: Grand Californian
    December 2008: Grand Californian

June 2009: Radison/Disneyland Hotel

Working for the Walt Disney Company
    Jan-Aug '07: MGM(Sunset/Lucasland/Backlot)
    Aug '08-May '09: GCC College Program Rep

May '09: EPCOT

dizneluver is offline C-Ticket Holder
    WAY TO FAR AWAY FROM EITHER DISNEYLAND OR DISNEY WORLD :( (Colorado) :)
    if you want to plan in advance I highly reccomend the Passporter's Guide to WDW with your Special Needs ....that was the title when it first came out but I cant think of the new name of it ...but you should be able to get it from the Passporter website (passporter.com) Deb Willis from Allears.net was one of the authors and I was a peer reviewer.

It lists the diminsions of all the rides in all the parks and what type of restrants each ride has and wheither it would be a good ride for those of "pooh" like stature 8(;-)

By planning in advance it is my opinion you will save yourself alot of time, grief and embarassment by not even trying the rides that you feel wont work for you.

Let me know if you have any other questions 8(:-)

TTFN

Kelly D <><

PS I went over to Passporter's website and the second ed of the book I mentioned above is now called PASSPORTER'S OPEN MOUSE for WDW and the Disney Cruise Line
    Last edited by dizneluver; 01-26-2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: adding the new title for the second ed of the book..I mentioned
    Kelly D aka NDA#5 and one of Lou's BOX PEOPLE <><
    Lover of ALL THINGS DISNEY since I was 9 months old which includes going to the Parks with undiagnosed ADHD until I was 33 years old (still go to the Parks but with the knowledge now that I live with ADHD):

Disabilities/Special Needs Forum Moderator for The Disney Echo Forums

Visit my blog DIZNELUVER'S WORLD

Deck 7 COOL KID

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Oh Tiff, so happy you are getting to go. Sure hope you get the 2 day hopper. We've tried to do it in a day, it is just to difficult to get it all in and we wound up upgrading the ticket to a two day, that way you can enjoy yourself.

I love the Small World so much more at Disneyland!

And here is a link to all Ears that may help you with your other concerns.
    Remember if you are in doubt ask a CM and they will take you off stage for demo seating, out of view from all. This All Ears site also links to Pass Porters book. WDW At Large - One Size Does Not Fit All!

There is plenty to do in that area. We slept on the Queen Mary and ate there too. Drove to Newport Beach. Saw the Stars, remember to look at the people looking at the stars, it is funny.

DH and I have yet to take our kids to Disneyland, it is still on our to do list, I best hurry. Can't wait to hear details of your plans and trip.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

bmcintyre is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: big people problems

Although the thread veered way off course, here's my two cents. I love WDW because I can ride everything. Because of knee surgery, couldn't ride Astro Orbiter or Teacups but everything else. I hate going to other parks because the rides are NOT designed for people of wider or taller bodies. But in keeping with Walt's desire that families are to ride together, he has instilled in his followers to keep to that. Thank goodness. Also, I have to use a wheelchair to get around in the parks. Castmembers are great in helping out and the special entrance to attractions is a huge help. Also, the resorts will let you use one free, so you don't have to rent each day in the park. Way to go, Disney!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678